Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue72

What did Toronto pay Harris last year and maybe they will be looking for Nat replacement

Throw Long Bannatyne

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2024, 04:15:22 PM
The bigger question is how long or how seriously does Oliveria try to land an NFL offer of some sort. If he waits too long the money might need to be spent elsewhere. Walters has already mentioned the " delay " in re-signing others tied to Oliveria and Schoen.

What that timeline is, is not clear to us fans. Just a guess but by the end of next week?

The conversations the team has with the players might dictate when to move forward.

For example: If one or both players suggest they won't sign a deal in the CFL until June while exploring NFL options, then we need to move forward. Essentially the teams needs to understand their position taken.

If OTOH, they want to see what other offers are available in the open window the CBA allows other teams to make offers, that's something different.

That said, I don't think we can hold off that long and leave 25 other potential free agents hanging in the wind.

The question is, has BO20 had any interest from the NFL?  We haven't seen a tryout yet...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2024, 08:15:04 PM
The question is, has BO20 had any interest from the NFL?  We haven't seen a tryout yet...

He hasn't but that doesn't mean he hopes for one to happen. Look at the example of Tyrell Ford who spent the entire season waiting for another look.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2024, 08:38:21 PM
He hasn't but that doesn't mean he hopes for one to happen. Look at the example of Tyrell Ford who spent the entire season waiting for another look.

Its one thing to have worked out for a number of clubs and then wait for an opportunity from that, its a complete different story when they aren't even letting you work out for them the first time.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Can't figure out what Ford is up to, can't find any evidence of him having another NFL tryout after the Patriots cut him Aug. 23.  Maybe he's waiting for his CFL contract to expire so he doesn't have to play in Wpg., sure seems like it.

Jesse

Ford was signed a team and spent the remainder of the season after being cut waiting for an opportunity. He may have been told he was on the short list if an injury occurred.

It?s not the same situation as Brady, who has not been given an opportunity. I don?t believe the NFL is really on the forefront of Brady?s mind at this point.

I?m personally starting to think Brady has the intention of hitting FA unless we absolutely blow him away with an over the top offer - but that won?t happen.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on January 12, 2024, 12:26:33 AM
It feels like you haven't been following along with this, Techno.

You would be correct... I'm behind on about half the threads, but not this one.  Sorry, I'll read the others and catch up soon.  Too busy being a dad at Christmas, and having to run off to Portland over new years.

Harris made 165k(ish) when he was here. That is the highest rate for a CFL running-back. Stanback made the same this year, as Pete points out above me.

I remember the whisper numbers for AH33's top earning years to be $200-$225.  Maybe he took restructuring / hometown discounts after that.  I think $165 as his top earnings here is way too low.

If we could sign Brady for that, we wouldn't be talking about this, Walters would be running towards him right now with a contract ready. Brady has made comments that he wants to "reset the RB market". Likely meaning that he wants a contract comparable to the new Receiver salaries that are 300k+.

Brady will be coming back down to earth real fast if he thinks a NAT RB is going to get $300.  No team will offer that.  The run game is as much the OL and blockers and OC as it is the RB.  If do-nothing AH33 is getting $160 for his time in TOR, however, surely Brady is worth around $200, which is what I said in the first place.  And I'm sure we can afford that.  If we'd rather pay $175, why mess around and lose Brady because another team will pay $200?  It's silly.  His best fit is here, so make it happen.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

200k would be the absolute max, I would say acrtually 180k would be generous Kadeem Carey was at 137k ly, if we are unable to sign Olivera... Carey would. make a strong replacement.

dd

Carey with our offensive line and blocking receivers and game plan would absolutely light up the league like no ones business. We d need to start a NAT somewhere else, but shows if BO signed elsewhere, life would go on and arguably be better

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on January 13, 2024, 01:44:15 AM
Carey with our offensive line and blocking receivers and game plan would absolutely light up the league like no ones business. We d need to start a NAT somewhere else, but shows if BO signed elsewhere, life would go on and arguably be better

We don't need to.  Kramdi already makes 8.  The 8th can be a VET IMP FAKENAT, so we have total flexibility regarding starting a NAT RB or not.

However, Carey is not the answer IMHO.  He's washed up.  Hasn't done squat in 2 seasons.  Sure, he'd be better in WPG, but IMHO he'd be far worse than BO20.

I really can't see us moving away from the NAT RB paradigm, I just can't.  It's just part of who we are.  If really pressed, out of every IMP RB out there, my pick would be Brown (EDM).  If we can't have BO20, I'd rather make a move for other NAT RB's out there over an IMP.  Antwi, STE, whoever.  They'd all look better here than they did on their run-last teams.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 13, 2024, 12:03:34 AM
You would be correct... I'm behind on about half the threads, but not this one.  Sorry, I'll read the others and catch up soon.  Too busy being a dad at Christmas, and having to run off to Portland over new years.

I remember the whisper numbers for AH33's top earning years to be $200-$225.  Maybe he took restructuring / hometown discounts after that.  I think $165 as his top earnings here is way too low.

Brady will be coming back down to earth real fast if he thinks a NAT RB is going to get $300.  No team will offer that.  The run game is as much the OL and blockers and OC as it is the RB.  If do-nothing AH33 is getting $160 for his time in TOR, however, surely Brady is worth around $200, which is what I said in the first place.  And I'm sure we can afford that.  If we'd rather pay $175, why mess around and lose Brady because another team will pay $200?  It's silly.  His best fit is here, so make it happen.

I don't think any other team will even offer him $200k, because they can always find better places to spend cap dollars than on a Natl. RB, such as the O-line, an upper tier receiver or even a backup QB.  It doesn't make economic sense to spend cap $$'s needlessly when they can find a younger version of William Stanback who will happily play for $85k. Bombers can make the same decision if they're forced to, but they would probably prefer to retain him for fit and marketability.  Every broadcaster and fan in the CFL associates him with the Bomber brand.

Lincoln Locomotive

I'm still thinking that Brady's nomination for Winnipegs MOP and then becoming the West's MOP candidate may have influenced his thinking.   And I get that however it's not grounded in reality when it comes to his chances of landing a spot down in the NFL or making 300K in the CFL.    I mean Zach makes what upwards of 600K and Brady made what 120K last season?   Being chosen by the team as its MOP candidates over the highest paid Bomber had to have some influence on his mindset, methinks?    How could it not have??
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 13, 2024, 12:03:34 AM

I agree that Brady is not going to be able to reset the market. I've always said that we are the team that values him the highest and would pay him the most.

The simple fact of the matter is some GMs don't like the idea of a Canadian RB. I think it's going to suppress his market. And he may have earned the top RB salary in the league, but that's not even close to 200k. And knowing we can sign rando American RB for 70k, I'm not sure doubling our budget at the RB position is the best use of resources. There's definitely a point where the coast/benefit doesn't make sense anymore.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2024, 08:44:52 PM
Its one thing to have worked out for a number of clubs and then wait for an opportunity from that, its a complete different story when they aren't even letting you work out for them the first time.

I understand that difference. The point is that there is no way to tell how long a player will hold onto that dream. Obviously getting an offer to attend an NFL TC is a stronger position. However getting cut and not even making a PR doesn't scream out to " wait it out " either.
2019 Grey Cup Champions