Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: dd on January 26, 2024, 01:18:56 AMGive the rock to Kevin brown 260 times and he would have blown by BO. We run the ball way more than any other team , sure BO is a decent RB but if he only got the ball for 189 attempts like brown did then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. Better yet, can you imagine what Brown would have done with 260 rushing attempts and our O line?? I can and I m thinking if BO and schoen don't smarten up a Nat at slotbsvk and an import like brown at running back TOTALLY would change our offense

Sure, pick another exceptional running back and you may get similar or better production. It's not a given that you can just find that guy though. We've had lots of backs come and go, not too many get 2000 yards of offence.

Brady is not a perfect back. And if he's asking for too much, then at some point the loss we see on the field will not be greater than the cost savings of potentially going American at the RB spot. But you're not replacing his production as easily as some people seem to think. He didn't get his yards by simple having more carries. He had a 5.9 yard average. He had 500 yards receiving. He's a willing blocker. Etc, etc. etc.
My wife is amazing!

VictorRomano

Quote from: Jesse on January 26, 2024, 01:29:00 AMBrady is not a perfect back. And if he's asking for too much, then at some point the loss we see on the field will not be greater than the cost savings of potentially going American at the RB spot. But you're not replacing his production as easily as some people seem to think. He didn't get his yards by simple having more carries. He had a 5.9 yard average. He had 500 yards receiving. He's a willing blocker. Etc, etc. etc.

To be honest, and I know this will be unpopular, but I'd rather have Oulette at $170k (gius ask from Toronto) than Brady at $250k.

Pigskin

Quote from: VictorRomano on January 26, 2024, 10:10:27 PMTo be honest, and I know this will be unpopular, but I'd rather have Oulette at $170k (gius ask from Toronto) than Brady at $250k.

I would agree. We have had some pretty amazing American RBs. Love BO20, but there is a max price for every player.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: VictorRomano on January 26, 2024, 10:10:27 PMTo be honest, and I know this will be unpopular, but I'd rather have Oulette at $170k (gius ask from Toronto) than Brady at $250k.

I don't think anyone is going to give Brady anywhere near that, so it's a moot point, imo.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Ed Tait has reported that Alden Darby Jr. will not be returning to the Bombers in 2024.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 27, 2024, 05:08:41 AMEd Tait has reported that Alden Darby Jr. will not be returning to the Bombers in 2024.

I think we've known that since about mid-season last year.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on January 27, 2024, 12:09:26 PMI think we've known that since about mid-season last year.

It appeared he was released quietly earlier. Not sure why that happened exactly but I think we knew he wouldn't be back. Just a guess but I think he's finished with football for some sort of personal reason we don't need to know.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

He was injured for a couple of months and lost his job to Kramdi.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Ok, we're down to about 2 weeks before free agency and a week before the tampering allowed period.

Time for the rubber to hit the road. I'm expecting some of our free agents to be signed this week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Horseman

I would say we should sign Oulette from the Argos if Brady is holding out, the guy is every much a smash mouth back like Brady and would have the same success here. This would allow us to make a decision or offer for Shoen and or Rasheed.

LXTSN

Wouldn't the Argos just sign Oulette if he's going for that?
I think they are similar talent levels but different type of RB's.
What other team do we suspect has the most interest in Olivera? I could see BC or Hamilton making a push for him.

theaardvark

Oulette would have much more success behind out Oline than he did in Toronto.  Wonder how many stories Harris has told him, good or bad, about Winnipeg...

I don't doubt that Brady will sign here, though.  He will go to tampering week, get a barometer of what he can get on the open market, and then sign here for a little less on the home town discount.  I don't think the NFL is going to factor in at all now. 

Otherwise, we have 10 picks in the draft, we have a good scouting staff, and 8 less teams competing in the "spring" leagues.

Finding a replacement shouldn't be difficult, if someone goes full Jones on him.  I'm fine with up to $200k for him, as long as he is in shape and healthy (not questioning him, just saying we've made that mistake in the past...)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

On another tack, are we a team chasing players, or are we a team players are chasing?

Are there players out there in FA that are looking to the tampering period to try to get an offer to come here?

We have built this dynamic operation, this culture that is praised all over the league, and a facility that rivals any in football, does this make us a preferred destination?

We all know that Walters will choose an incumbent over a new signee, unless there is a marked improvement in play or value.  But might we get some interesting options presenting during the tampering period as our FA's shop around?

How quick do you pull the trigger?  We have obviously given our offers to all our players, if a comparable or better player comes knocking and is willing to take less, do we commit?

I can't see Walters as a guy that would use that to lowball a current player, I'd think he'd go with the one setting the price over the one matching the price, if you know what I mean.

On the other side, if a current player gets a blockbuster offer, I'm not sure how much extra over the original offer Walters will come up with.  Unless he's over the barrel, and has no other options, I can't see him overpaying for anyone, even a player coming off an MOP type season.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

The only time destination seems to be a big factor is if a player is returning to his home area or returning to the team he played for.
Have we signed any player because the want to play in the coldest cfl city in Canada?
It all comes down to dollars, unfortunately.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 29, 2024, 04:15:43 PMOn another tack, are we a team chasing players, or are we a team players are chasing?

Are there players out there in FA that are looking to the tampering period to try to get an offer to come here?

We have built this dynamic operation, this culture that is praised all over the league, and a facility that rivals any in football, does this make us a preferred destination?

We all know that Walters will choose an incumbent over a new signee, unless there is a marked improvement in play or value.  But might we get some interesting options presenting during the tampering period as our FA's shop around?

How quick do you pull the trigger?  We have obviously given our offers to all our players, if a comparable or better player comes knocking and is willing to take less, do we commit?

I can't see Walters as a guy that would use that to lowball a current player, I'd think he'd go with the one setting the price over the one matching the price, if you know what I mean.

On the other side, if a current player gets a blockbuster offer, I'm not sure how much extra over the original offer Walters will come up with.  Unless he's over the barrel, and has no other options, I can't see him overpaying for anyone, even a player coming off an MOP type season.

I'd be pretty surprised in Walters went shopping in FA, since signing the last Collaros contract and adding Lawler's, he's maxed out his CC.