Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on January 24, 2024, 11:05:13 PMone of the biggest issues we have is that a number of our free agents are top players that were on entry level contracts including
Shoen
Olivera
Kasantonis
Brown (now in Ottawa)
Houston
when you're a veteran laden team you can't resign them without significant cuts elsewhere. That Shoen, Olivera, Brown are all 27 or younger also hurts. To sign any of them might mean that Hardwick, Jeffcoat, Rose, Briggs, Prukop are history.
I could see us biting the bullet to some extent to find rookie replacements that we can reap the benefits going forward.

Kasantonis???
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Blue In BC

Did Augustine re-sign? There is a transaction on CFL.CA showing him " added " to the roster.

I'm not against that but did think if we don't sign Oliveria, then we might see a pure rookie Canadian RB as some sort of ST and back up. Rosery for example.

Augustine made about $91K in 2023 so even with a small raise he's about $20K over ELC??
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

BO20 is a bonus NAT starter.  That's a spot where we can get better performance for a lower price using an American.

JA27 plays his role on ST's great, is a NAT and a good backup at RB.  He fills a lot of spots for a decent price. No issues with his re-signing.

Not sure if Kolankowski or Eli is our C next year.  Eli is signed, we will find out during tampering week what the rest of the league thinks about Kolankowski.  Might he end up in Ott? Does Dru like him?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 25, 2024, 04:32:53 PMBO20 is a bonus NAT starter.  That's a spot where we can get better performance for a lower price using an American.

JA27 plays his role on ST's great, is a NAT and a good backup at RB.  He fills a lot of spots for a decent price. No issues with his re-signing.

Not sure if Kolankowski or Eli is our C next year.  Eli is signed, we will find out during tampering week what the rest of the league thinks about Kolankowski.  Might he end up in Ott? Does Dru like him?

I don't think so, they might save some money but a rookie RB is not going to come close to duplicating what BO accomplished last season.  Might look like an easy fix, but it's not.

Waffler

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 25, 2024, 04:52:28 PMI don't think so, they might save some money but a rookie RB is not going to come close to duplicating what BO accomplished last season.  Might look like an easy fix, but it's not.

A rook rb might still get a 1,000 yard season though. Still waiting for people to tell me how we sign everybody... Players will be gone. Dru Brown already is.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 25, 2024, 04:32:53 PMBO20 is a bonus NAT starter.  That's a spot where we can get better performance for a lower price using an American.

lol, a better performance than a league MOP candidate?

My wife is amazing!

blueraid

Im getting a little antsy waiting for BO to re-up....Dalton as well...I think definitely that all other signings are being held in limbo, until they have decided on their future plans...I want them both back but the money has to work for us...Things should be heating up soon in the negotiations....Oh to be a fly on the wall ;D

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blueraid on January 25, 2024, 05:52:25 PMIm getting a little antsy waiting for BO to re-up....Dalton as well...I think definitely that all other signings are being held in limbo, until they have decided on their future plans...I want them both back but the money has to work for us...Things should be heating up soon in the negotiations....Oh to be a fly on the wall ;D

If Walters leaves it to the last week, he won't have enough hours in the day to negotiate all the contracts he has left on his plate. He needs to set aside a combined amount for Schoen and Brady and get on with it.  If he can't sign them both, he'll have money leftover to play in FA or tweak things during the season.

blue_or_die

My predication is we end up giving Brady what he wants and we lose Schoen. We pick up a mid receiver like Wieneke to fill the void and rely on Lawler to make circus catches and 50/50 balls. We're paying him to do that, and it's that contract that's the reason we can't afford Schoen too.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 25, 2024, 06:45:32 PMMy predication is we end up giving Brady what he wants and we lose Schoen. We pick up a mid receiver like Wieneke to fill the void and rely on Lawler to make circus catches and 50/50 balls. We're paying him to do that, and it's that contract that's the reason we can't afford Schoen too.

I think Brady gets to tampering week, realizes no one is offering what he wants, and ends up signing here.....and we lose Schoen. I don't think we can compete with the offers he's going to get.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 25, 2024, 06:45:32 PMMy predication is we end up giving Brady what he wants and we lose Schoen. We pick up a mid receiver like Wieneke to fill the void and rely on Lawler to make circus catches and 50/50 balls. We're paying him to do that, and it's that contract that's the reason we can't afford Schoen too.

More or less agree, I don't think they'll give Brady what he wants but they can make him the highest paid RB in the CFL and pay him more than Harris ever received.  As for receiver, I'm pretty stoked on new recruit Ontaria Wilson + a few of the other prospects they're bringing in to compete for the job.  They could also include BOO and Jeremy Murphy in that competition, cause you never know when the next Joe Pop might emerge.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 25, 2024, 08:02:31 PMMore or less agree, I don't think they'll give Brady what he wants but they can make him the highest paid RB in the CFL and pay him more than Harris ever received.  As for receiver, I'm pretty stoked on new recruit Ontaria Wilson + a few of the other prospects they're bringing in to compete for the job.  They could also include BOO and Jeremy Murphy in that competition, cause you never know when the next Joe Pop might emerge.

Yeah, this.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 25, 2024, 08:02:31 PMMore or less agree, I don't think they'll give Brady what he wants but they can make him the highest paid RB in the CFL and pay him more than Harris ever received.  As for receiver, I'm pretty stoked on new recruit Ontaria Wilson + a few of the other prospects they're bringing in to compete for the job.  They could also include BOO and Jeremy Murphy in that competition, cause you never know when the next Joe Pop might emerge.

I guess how we handle a vacant SB slot depends on a) how much money we have left/willing to spend on a #2/3 receiver, and b) how we view risk management at this spot; i.e. do we pay a premium for a known commodity at their ceiling or roll the dice a bit on a no0b.
#Ride?

dd

Quote from: Jesse on January 25, 2024, 05:23:21 PMlol, a better performance than a league MOP candidate?

Give the rock to Kevin brown 260 times and he would have blown by BO. We run the ball way more than any other team , sure BO is a decent RB but if he only got the ball for 189 attempts like brown did then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. Better yet, can you imagine what Brown would have done with 260 rushing attempts and our O line?? I can and I m thinking if BO and schoen don't smarten up a Nat at slotbsvk and an import like brown at running back TOTALLY would change our offense