Dave Naylor: A look at where every team sits at QB

Started by blue_gold_84, January 10, 2024, 07:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 12, 2024, 05:42:15 PM
IMO Ottawa has to find the cheapest and quickest way to move on from Masoli, they may have to pay him out like Jones did Cornelius, but the sooner they get this done, the better the options for replacing him.  If Masoli still wants to play football he could catch on as a backup with almost any team, if he agrees to start from the bottom and wait for his opportunity like Harris did in Mtl. and Adams did in BC.
Agree 1000%, Ottawa does have to move on from oft injured grandpa masoli. Surprised that Evans retired, but heck, I'd sign him vs what they've had under centre for the past 2 seasons. Montreal is a legit contender this year after adding Lemon and Stankey to their roster, as is Toronto--they'll be in a pissy mood this season to redeem themselves and Hamilton is re-tooling, so what's Ottawa going to do , stand pat?? That's going to get guys fired.  They need to sign some serious impact FA to move up the food chain

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2024, 08:20:35 PM
Masoli has a roster bonus, but I don't think he has any guaranteed money like Cornelius.

I thought the new CFL CBA a year or two back made is so all vets on multi-year contracts automatically have some guaranteed $ if they get cut in year 2 or 3??  Wasn't that a thing?  Same as coaches...?

If Corney got $100k severance then maybe that's what Masoli is looking at too.

OTT going after Dru as legit #1 starter makes the most sense vs any other team because OTT has nothing to lose.  If they gamble on Dru and it doesn't pan out, then no harm no foul, they keep the status quo (losing) and at least they showed they tried.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2024, 11:53:56 PM

The 100k Corney got was guaranteed money from his last contract. Another genius Jones move.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2024, 11:53:56 PM
I thought the new CFL CBA a year or two back made is so all vets on multi-year contracts automatically have some guaranteed $ if they get cut in year 2 or 3??  Wasn't that a thing?  Same as coaches...?

OTT going after Dru as legit #1 starter makes the most sense vs any other team because OTT has nothing to lose.  If they gamble on Dru and it doesn't pan out, then no harm no foul, they keep the status quo (losing) and at least they showed they tried.

Not automatic, but an incentive that teams can use to get players to sign multi year deals.  There is a limited amount of guaranteed second year (and maybe third year) money you can include in a contract.  I think Jones was using it as a carrot to get Corny to sign for less... and he ended up making more...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83