Dave Naylor: A look at where every team sits at QB

Started by blue_gold_84, January 10, 2024, 07:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

O'Shea is loyal to his vets to a fault. The only exception I've seen to this is Andrew Harris, but it took injuries and other off field issues to make that move and it was only after Harris became a free agent.
Is there an example of he or Walters not honoring a contract to save $'s?

theaardvark

No one is suggesting not honouring a contract.  I suggested a trade.  And every GM makes trades. 

And the deal would not be just to save $$$, although that plays into it.  Its retaining a potential top player, and affording to keep 2 others.  And potentially assuring the QB spot for a decade.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

I see what you're saying Aards.  And you made me think about it.  It's not the first time the idea of Dru > Zach has been floated.

I think it all comes down to this: a bird (Zach) in the hand is worth 2 (Drus) in the bush.  Zach can win you lots of games, win you the west division, win you playoff games, and give you a great shot in the GC.  This is all fact.  And it remains fact until he's proves otherwise.

Dru is ?.  Dru is a massive gamble for any team wanting to make him #1.  We think he'll be good.  Others think he'll be good.  But we're all just guessing.

Every team and every GM would love to take Zach off our hands right now.  They are going to pay their meh QBs $450-$550 and probably suck; of course they'd want to have winning Zach at $550-$600!

No, you stick with the hot and proven hand... and leader.  If Dru turns out to be the next Tom Brady, then oh well, some other team wins the gamble.  We could always take a shot at him in 2026 FA...  It's just as likely Dru turns into the next Franklin, Jennings, and Arbuckle: guys who looked like Tom Brady because they were on great teams with great OLs, but really were the next Brohm in disguise.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 11, 2024, 09:48:37 PM
I see what you're saying Aards.  And you made me think about it.  It's not the first time the idea of Dru > Zach has been floated.

I think it all comes down to this: a bird (Zach) in the hand is worth 2 (Drus) in the bush.  Zach can win you lots of games, win you the west division, win you playoff games, and give you a great shot in the GC.  This is all fact.  And it remains fact until he's proves otherwise.

Dru is ?.  Dru is a massive gamble for any team wanting to make him #1.  We think he'll be good.  Others think he'll be good.  But we're all just guessing.

Every team and every GM would love to take Zach off our hands right now.  They are going to pay their meh QBs $450-$550 and probably suck; of course they'd want to have winning Zach at $550-$600!

No, you stick with the hot and proven hand... and leader.  If Dru turns out to be the next Tom Brady, then oh well, some other team wins the gamble.  We could always take a shot at him in 2026 FA...  It's just as likely Dru turns into the next Franklin, Jennings, and Arbuckle: guys who looked like Tom Brady because they were on great teams with great OLs, but really were the next Brohm in disguise.
Agreed....betting the wad on Dru being a perennial starting QB at this stage in his career is a gamble.    In the ideal world I'd love to see Dru mentor under Zach for another season or perhaps two pending Zach's health...however the football world is far from being ideal and with cap restrictions it's virtually impossible to have two bonafide QBs on the same roster for long.
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

CFL media seems pretty convinced that Dru is going to Ottawa.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on January 12, 2024, 11:28:00 AM

We'll see how Ottawa handles the question about Masoli remaining with the team. That could happen very quickly due to the bonus issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Jesse on January 12, 2024, 11:28:00 AM
If Dru does go to Ottawa, can we have Pigrome back?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2024, 01:48:13 PM
We'll see how Ottawa handles the question about Masoli remaining with the team. That could happen very quickly due to the bonus issue.

Bob Dyce doesn't have the luxury of waiting for Masoli to recuperate to save his job, he's gotta turn the RB's ship around within the first half of the season.  Signing Brown + Schoen would be a clever gambit to keep Ottawa fans engaged.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 12, 2024, 04:08:54 PM
Bob Dyce doesn't have the luxury of waiting for Masoli to recuperate to save his job, he's gotta turn the RB's ship around within the first half of the season.  Signing Brown + Schoen would be a clever gambit to keep Ottawa fans engaged.

That's not quite what I meant. Masoli has a $100K bonus due on the 15th IIRC. He may not be available until mid season and has a long history of serious injuries and time lost. At best he's going to need to re-negotiate his deal to eliminate the bonus as well as a cut in overall salary.

IMO chances are more likely for an out right release over the weekend. That frees up SMS for Brown but is that their best option? Would they look at Streveler as well for example or even Cornelius?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

If I was Dyce I'd sign Streveler and Schoen. If I had enough $ left over, I'd pick up Brown too.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Streveler has more completions and more yardage in the CFL than Brown in a shorter timeframe.  He's a better running threat. His average yards per reception is better. His TD to int ratio is not as good but he's had more CFL playing time as well as the NFL experience of coaching etc etc.

Is his upside greater than Brown? That's the debate. Is he more prepared to start in the short term? IDK. How much is either player looking for will come into play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2024, 04:13:01 PM
That's not quite what I meant. Masoli has a $100K bonus due on the 15th IIRC. He may not be available until mid season and has a long history of serious injuries and time lost. At best he's going to need to re-negotiate his deal to eliminate the bonus as well as a cut in overall salary.

IMO chances are more likely for an out right release over the weekend. That frees up SMS for Brown but is that their best option? Would they look at Streveler as well for example or even Cornelius?

IMO Ottawa has to find the cheapest and quickest way to move on from Masoli, they may have to pay him out like Jones did Cornelius, but the sooner they get this done, the better the options for replacing him.  If Masoli still wants to play football he could catch on as a backup with almost any team, if he agrees to start from the bottom and wait for his opportunity like Harris did in Mtl. and Adams did in BC.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 12, 2024, 05:42:15 PM
IMO Ottawa has to find the cheapest and quickest way to move on from Masoli, they may have to pay him out like Jones did Cornelius, but the sooner they get this done, the better the options for replacing him.  If Masoli still wants to play football he could catch on as a backup with almost any team, if he agrees to start from the bottom and wait for his opportunity like Harris did in Mtl. and Adams did in BC.

Masoli has a roster bonus, but I don't think he has any guaranteed money like Cornelius.  Severing ties is simple, although I'm not sure about being able to cut a player on the IR, legally or morally.  Not sure how $SMS treats a guy who has a bonus but ends/starts the next year on the IR.  Bonuses are usually included in the $SMS, no idea a\bout exceptions for guys on the 6 game at the time of the bonus.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 12, 2024, 08:20:35 PM
Masoli has a roster bonus, but I don't think he has any guaranteed money like Cornelius.  Severing ties is simple, although I'm not sure about being able to cut a player on the IR, legally or morally.  Not sure how $SMS treats a guy who has a bonus but ends/starts the next year on the IR.  Bonuses are usually included in the $SMS, no idea a\bout exceptions for guys on the 6 game at the time of the bonus. 

I think teams can cut players on the IR ifas long as they negotiate an insurance settlement for their rehab..