2024 CFL draft (Bomber's Picks)

Started by CrazyCanuck89, January 09, 2024, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyCanuck89

#8 Kyle Hergel:  Played LG at Boston College.  Play him at LG next year, with Dobson at RG when Neufeld retires.

#17 Melique Straker : Played WLB in college, but should be the perfect backup for Kramdi at SLB.

Blue In BC

If we in fact have the opportunity to draft Hergel, are you that certain he could start in year 1? I'm not familiar with him so it's a question not a dispute. The other question is he also head of Dobson for a starting position.

Since we have so many OL currently listed as potential free agents, it's all TBD which will return and which may leave.

I think we may lose one of Gray or Kolo but that may not fall entirely within the control of the Bombers.

Advance speculation of who we are able to draft or think we should draft is interesting. These two may be on our radar but other teams may be looking at them as well. Other players perceived to have higher value may fall in the draft and be available to the team.

Looking forward to the rankings and other predictions after the combines etc. Drafting an OL is never a bad idea though.

If Tyrell Ford decides to return in 2024 then that may shift our draft choices on defence.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 09, 2024, 05:57:39 PM
If we in fact have the opportunity to draft Hergel, are you that certain he could start in year 1? I'm not familiar with him so it's a question not a dispute. The other question is he also head of Dobson for a starting position.

Since we have so many OL currently listed as potential free agents, it's all TBD which will return and which may leave.

I think we may lose one of Gray or Kolo but that may not fall entirely within the control of the Bombers.

Advance speculation of who we are able to draft or think we should draft is interesting. These two may be on our radar but other teams may be looking at them as well. Other players perceived to have higher value may fall in the draft and be available to the team.

Looking forward to the rankings and other predictions after the combines etc. Drafting an OL is never a bad idea though.

If Tyrell Ford decides to return in 2024 then that may shift our draft choices on defence.

Of course, but when it comes to drafts, it's all speculation.  I do think many Olinemen can start as rookies, the problem is a coach has to give them a chance. 

You guys need to get younger on the Oline, sometimes you may go through some growing pains.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on January 09, 2024, 06:35:31 PM

Of course, but when it comes to drafts, it's all speculation.  I do think many Olinemen can start as rookies, the problem is a coach has to give them a chance. 

You guys need to get younger on the Oline, sometimes you may go through some growing pains.

It's pretty rare for a rookie to start his first year on the O-line, especially in Wpg. where they've built so much great depth and have relied on continuity.  It seems like an unnecessary consideration.  I think we'll see pretty much the same O-line as last year, with maybe a single adjustment due to a player leaving in FA.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 09, 2024, 06:58:13 PM
It's pretty rare for a rookie to start his first year on the O-line, especially in Wpg. where they've built so much great depth and have relied on continuity.  It seems like an unnecessary consideration.  I think we'll see pretty much the same O-line as last year, with maybe a single adjustment due to a player leaving in FA.

We don't like to do it, but haven't we done it a lot?  Didn't Chungh, Goosen and Desjar all start in their 1st year here?  Was Gray thrown into action a little bit in his 1st year too?  Just going by memory, so I may be off on 1 or 2 names...

We love our 2-3 year dev cycle for hoggies, but it's never written in stone.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

We have selected OL prospects that have panned out well. Especially for other teams. Gray has been a disappointment?but when compared to the quality of the oLine, he still may be a quality guy on another team.  I do love his getting downfield and creaming DBs.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: DM83 on January 13, 2024, 02:29:31 PM
We have selected OL prospects that have panned out well. Especially for other teams. Gray has been a disappointment?but when compared to the quality of the oLine, he still may be a quality guy on another team.  I do love his getting downfield and creaming DBs.

Gray has been a disappointment because he is a tackle, not a guard.

Blueforlife

Horseman

If JH51 decides to hang them up, maybe Grey could move to right tackle. Maybe that would be enough to get him to sign.