Paul Boudreau

Started by bwiser, January 04, 2024, 12:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwiser

Paul Boudreau, Bombers special teams coach has not had his contract renewed for the 2024 season. It is unclear if he will be replaced from outside the organization or from within. I wonder if Mike Miller is retiring and would be interested in becoming the new special teams coordinator.

ModAdmin

He is not listed in bluebombers.com coaching directory.  Sounds like there could be a change.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on January 04, 2024, 12:22:28 AM
Paul Boudreau, Bombers special teams coach has not had his contract renewed for the 2024 season. It is unclear if he will be replaced from outside the organization or from within. I wonder if Mike Miller is retiring and would be interested in becoming the new special teams coordinator.

Agree, some new blood would be good.

Stretch

One less person for someone to watch like a hawk.

;)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Lincoln Locomotive

Miller at first glance seems like a natural fit as our STs coordinator....however just because he may be the GOAT special teamed may not necessarily translate into being a great coach.    Perhaps someone on this forum could comment on Miller's football acumen/IQ.   
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Bombers used to be the most creative ST team in the league, haven't seen a hint of creativity the past two seasons.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 04, 2024, 05:31:44 AM
Bombers used to be the most creative ST team in the league, haven't seen a hint of creativity the past two seasons.

Something I mention all the time. Remember O'Shea at Toronto and when he first came over here?

Not only were special teams fun to watch, but he seemed to have a bag of tricks on offence that he opened up regularly. That's all gone away in recent years.

Perhaps it's a case of no longer needing to do it, but it's something I miss.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

A little surprising, IMO. A few key injuries certainly didn't help special teams in 2023.

Makes me wonder if this decision was made mutually.

I agree on the lack of creativity as something that had been missing recently.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

I don't mind a change there but the "lack of creativity" probably should fall on O'Shea's lap, if you want to blame anyone. Special teams coaches don't choose when to employ fake punts, etc. For the most part, we haven't needed to do run those types of plays over the last few years. Instead, at least up until this past year, overwhelming consistency on the teams has been enough and probably the smartest play.

Pete

Wouldnt be surprized if we dont replace him, with the operations cap likely was the only way to retain the rest of the staff. O'Shea might take over. Wouldnt be as difficult as other teams ie elks where jones is dc or Riders Mace .

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 04, 2024, 02:10:06 PM
I don't mind a change there but the "lack of creativity" probably should fall on O'Shea's lap, if you want to blame anyone. Special teams coaches don't choose when to employ fake punts, etc. For the most part, we haven't needed to do run those types of plays over the last few years. Instead, at least up until this past year, overwhelming consistency on the teams has been enough and probably the smartest play.

I can see this, they don't really need a bag of tricks when they can win most games straight up with talent and execution.  O'Shea has become more conservative in his approach and gambling when unnecessary just opens him up to criticism when they fail. Riderfans were always quick to crucify Dickenson whenever a gamble went wrong.

bwiser

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 04, 2024, 05:30:18 PM
I can see this, they don't really need a bag of tricks when they can win most games straight up with talent and execution.  O'Shea has become more conservative in his approach and gambling when unnecessary just opens him up to criticism when they fail. Riderfans were always quick to crucify Dickenson whenever a gamble went wrong.
If you start listening to what fans want, you will soon be joining them in the stands.

Blueforlife

Injuries were a factor to be sure
Sometimes you need a fresh start

Sir Blue and Gold

Maybe O'Shea takes it over and they use the savings for raises for Buck and/or Walters?