Brady Olivera's NFL Tryout Status Update

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 03, 2024, 04:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Any word on where Brady's at with his dream to play in the NFL?   A lot of CFLers are currently working out with various teams however I haven't heard Brady's name in the convo?
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

As expected, it's going to be very difficult for a undrafted, slower RB in his mid-20's from the CFL to get an NFL opportunity.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Yeah, I have to agree he's got a very steep hill to try and climb with regard to his NFL aspirations.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on January 03, 2024, 04:57:00 PM
As expected, it's going to be very difficult for a undrafted, slower RB in his mid-20's from the CFL to get an NFL opportunity.

I could see NFL scouts evaluating his game film alone and not bother to bring him in for a look at all. He falls into the same category as Schoen, effective player but no outstanding measurables.

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 03, 2024, 09:43:48 PM
I could see NFL scouts evaluating his game film alone and not bother to bring him in for a look at all. He falls into the same category as Schoen, effective player but no outstanding measurables.
Exactly. He?s small and slow and not over powering by nfl standards. I don?t think he even gets a sniff. There?s so many younger and faster backs with collegiate credentials in a long tuneup ahead of him

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 03, 2024, 09:43:48 PM

I doubt they even get to his film after dismissing him after his combine/pro day numbers.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on January 03, 2024, 11:48:40 PM
I doubt they even get to his film after dismissing him after his combine/pro day numbers.
Not sure what his numbers would be exactly.....probably not top shelf is my guess.    What he has in Winnipeg is something special and I was hoping he might just come to realize what he is sacrificing if he does somehow make it down there.    He would be making a comfortable salary as a Bomber franchise running back plus all the intangibles he receives from being in his hometown surrounded by adoring fans!    Not to mention the disruption to the Bombers lineup should he miss the early part of the season only to be cut and then return to the Bombers.    It would be awkward for any running back to start the season and then lose his job to a returning Brady.....he sounded pretty sure about his chances at the end of the season.
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 04, 2024, 04:33:59 AM
Not sure what his numbers would be exactly.....probably not top shelf is my guess.    What he has in Winnipeg is something special and I was hoping he might just come to realize what he is sacrificing if he does somehow make it down there.    He would be making a comfortable salary as a Bomber franchise running back plus all the intangibles he receives from being in his hometown surrounded by adoring fans!    Not to mention the disruption to the Bombers lineup should he miss the early part of the season only to be cut and then return to the Bombers.    It would be awkward for any running back to start the season and then lose his job to a returning Brady.....he sounded pretty sure about his chances at the end of the season.

Not sure he should have talked about it so publicly, kinda spoiled the broth.  Great for him if he gets the opportunity but should have kept his mouth shut and let it play out, no one would begrudge him the opportunity to explore his options.  Chalk it up to being a young player with not a lot of experience after his first big gulp of success.  Schoen is likely equally motivated, but haven't heard a peep from him regarding his NFL dreams.

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 04, 2024, 04:33:59 AM

Brady is slow by CFL standards. I love him, but if you're getting pulled down from behind in the CFL, you're not able to go to the NFL.

I don't think he was sure of his chances, he was just being honest about his dreams and intentions. Which on one hand is admirable, but on the other it obviously does not play well with fans. It unfortunately has us sitting here talking about why he won't make it, which just feels insulting.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 04, 2024, 05:29:26 AM
Not sure he should have talked about it so publicly, kinda spoiled the broth.  Great for him if he gets the opportunity but should have kept his mouth shut and let it play out, no one would begrudge him the opportunity to explore his options.  Chalk it up to being a young player with not a lot of experience after his first big gulp of success.  Schoen is likely equally motivated, but haven't heard a peep from him regarding his NFL dreams.

Is anyone actually begrudging him? He had a historic season in 2023 and I can't say I blame him for riding that high and perhaps overvaluing himself with regard to taking the next step to the NFL. It's not realistic, IMO. But that's neither here nor there.

And the comparison to Schoen doesn't really make sense considering he's actually been on NFL teams prior to his CFL career, and was also offered tryouts after the 2022 season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Sir Blue and Gold

I think his NFL chances are basically zero. Measurables and age are even more important at running back and he doesn't have either on his side. I think he and his agent know this and are using any workouts he gets as a hail mary play but mostly as leverage for his next CFL contract. Additionally, as great as he is I'm not 100% convinced that spending really big at running back is what we need to do so if he's asking for the moon I might pass.

LXTSN

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 04, 2024, 02:04:36 PM
I think his NFL chances are basically zero. Measurables and age are even more important at running back and he doesn't have either on his side. I think he and his agent know this and are using any workouts he gets as a hail mary play but mostly as leverage for his next CFL contract. Additionally, as great as he is I'm not 100% convinced that spending really big at running back is what we need to do so if he's asking for the moon I might pass.
Import RB's are easy enough to find, and I think we have more than enough Canadians in the starting lineup already.
If we can't get him back, I would be more interested in bringing in an import at that position.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 04, 2024, 01:25:18 PM
Is anyone actually begrudging him? He had a historic season in 2023 and I can't say I blame him for riding that high and perhaps overvaluing himself with regard to taking the next step to the NFL. It's not realistic, IMO. But that's neither here nor there.

And the comparison to Schoen doesn't really make sense considering he's actually been on NFL teams prior to his CFL career, and was also offered tryouts after the 2022 season.

Fair enough, for Brady getting a few NFL tryouts will be an adventure and well worth the experience even if he doesn't get picked up.  Hopefully he gets on with his football career shortly after, instead of waiting around when nothing's happening like Tyrell Ford.

Sec223

BO is a great CFL back with no shot as a starter in the NFL. Special teams maybe but I doubt it. Finish up with the Bombers please.

TBURGESS

Brady doesn't have much of a chance in the NFL, but he wants to set a new price point for RB's in the CFL. I think he signs with the highest bidder and I don't think that will be us.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.