MBT / Edmonton rumours

Started by theaardvark, December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: theaardvark on December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM
Would be a huge mistake for MBT, and Edm.

Unless someone is asking to take Ford in a trade for a big return, this makes zero sense.

Having Cornelius, MBT and Ford under contract is not optimal GMing. 

You underestimate the insanity and desperation of Jones
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

I talked with quite a few HAM fans when I was there for the GC and they were all sour on BLM and think his hiring was a bad idea.  No one hated him, but they got funny looks on their faces and had nothing but meh things to say about him.  I think all uber CFL fans know BLM's arm (and maybe eyes/brain interface) has passed its expiry date.
Never go full Rider!

Cool Spot

If MBT doesn't get hurt in the 2022 Grey Cup, the Bombers win that game.

There, I said it. Discuss.  ;D

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 28, 2023, 07:28:08 PM
It was Shiltz not Powell, if you're trying to present an argument at least get the details right.
Oh ya, it was powerhouse Schiltz, the lifetime backup thrust into the starting Qb spot  by yet another desparate team.

Who cares who the bum of the game was under centre, bottom line is Hamilton doesn?t have a starting Qb between the 3 Qbs they have right now and would be fools not59take a run at signing MBT. But then again, who really cares !?!

Stretch

Perhaps I missed it, but what is the source of the "MBT/Edmonton" rumour?
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

DM83

I didn?t get any statement about the Edm rumour?  Was it Macleod or BLM?

Pete

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/23/edmonton-elks-pushing-to-sign-veteran-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson/

If i was Tre Ford it would be disturbing to see Jones trying to sign a #1 qb, especially with how long it took for Jones to give him a chance. It seems like Jones really doesnt have confidence in him. You'd think that with the experience ly Ford would be only getting better.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Cool Spot on December 29, 2023, 04:09:02 AM
If MBT doesn't get hurt in the 2022 Grey Cup, the Bombers win that game.

There, I said it. Discuss.  ;D

Guaranteed.  We talked about it in the original thread, if you can dig it up.  The Kelly 2nd & 17 run is what did us in.  Kind of like the Cody 2nd & 18 run when Willie/Wilson almost had him for another sack.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on December 29, 2023, 06:50:07 PM
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/23/edmonton-elks-pushing-to-sign-veteran-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson/

If i was Tre Ford it would be disturbing to see Jones trying to sign a #1 qb, especially with how long it took for Jones to give him a chance. It seems like Jones really doesnt have confidence in him. You'd think that with the experience ly Ford would be only getting better.

Don't put the cart before the horse.  Ford is developing and looking like he may have something, but he's still a young QB with not many years under his belt.  Less years than Dru!!  Many QBs have to wait much longer to start.  Muuuch longer.

The only reason we got any look at all at Ford is Corney was really stinking the joint out so badly that fan/pundit/board pressure forced Jones to try something, anything, new.  If EDM's QB was winning at least .400 then Ford would have never seen the field.

My point is, if I'm Ford, don't get too snooty and demanding at this critical juncture.  If I'm a desperate team's GM, I'd be picking Dru over Tre as my "gamble QB".  Patience may be the best path, and I believe Ford's future will be bright.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 29, 2023, 10:14:22 PM
Don't put the cart before the horse.  Ford is developing and looking like he may have something, but he's still a young QB with not many years under his belt.  Less years than Dru!!  Many QBs have to wait much longer to start.  Muuuch longer.

The only reason we got any look at all at Ford is Corney was really stinking the joint out so badly that fan/pundit/board pressure forced Jones to try something, anything, new.  If EDM's QB was winning at least .400 then Ford would have never seen the field.

My point is, if I'm Ford, don't get too snooty and demanding at this critical juncture.  If I'm a desperate team's GM, I'd be picking Dru over Tre as my "gamble QB".  Patience may be the best path, and I believe Ford's future will be bright.

I haven't re-watched a game Ford played in a few months so I may be mis-remembering, but he seems to be a one-trick-pony who can be shut down fairly easily with good containment and a zone defence.  I can understand Jones trepidation starting him as it's hard to put faith in a game plan that relies on a QB running around the backfield until he spots an open receiver.  Next season should determine if Ford can progress playing within the normal constraints a QB is expected to follow.  I think imitating Vernon Adams would be a good model for Ford to follow.

Pete

Actually Ford had a very respectable 102.5 efficiency rating, 67.8 completion rate , 12 passing tds to 6 interceptions, this on top of his "one trick" running ability. Overall for starts he was 4 and 6. Like I inferred hes only going to get better.

booch

Quote from: Pete on December 30, 2023, 03:41:54 AM
Actually Ford had a very respectable 102.5 efficiency rating, 67.8 completion rate , 12 passing tds to 6 interceptions, this on top of his "one trick" running ability. Overall for starts he was 4 and 6. Like I inferred hes only going to get better.
Proper coaching...system and right environment Ford will be very very good

theaardvark

Cornelius gone, Jones paying him $100k not to play for him.

Said to be close to signing MBT, poor Ford...

That said, if someone else signs MBT, it really solidifies Ford there.

Ham has Bo back on a team friendly deal...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DCM

Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that McLeod Bethel Thompson has agreed to a 1 year deal with the #Elks. It?s a significant deal that could reach 500k with incentives, meaning he would be the starter.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DCM on January 05, 2024, 11:30:35 PM
Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that McLeod Bethel Thompson has agreed to a 1 year deal with the #Elks. It?s a significant deal that could reach 500k with incentives, meaning he would be the starter.

I could see this move vaulting the Elks past the Riders and even the Stamps if they can't escape the morass they lingered in last season.