If the Bombers lose Dru Brown

Started by bwiser, December 12, 2023, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: bluebeard on December 14, 2023, 02:35:28 PM
Really hard now that the XFL and the USFL are also looking for the next good QB that the NFL has missed.  Just to many teams looking for the better QB.  If both the XFL and the USFL folded we could incorporate some of those QBs into the CFL.  Until they do, it will be hard slugging to find the next great QB.

USFL/XFL had some "preoven at that level" QB's already/// and now 16 teams are dropping to 8... so, if anything, there will be fallout from there, not absorption.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bluebeard

Quote from: theaardvark on December 15, 2023, 03:26:23 PM
USFL/XFL had some "preoven at that level" QB's already/// and now 16 teams are dropping to 8... so, if anything, there will be fallout from there, not absorption.

I didn't realize that the USFL and XFL had agreed with the America Feds on this.  The last time I read anything, they still were apart on how many teams they wanted.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bluebeard on December 15, 2023, 04:52:32 PM
I didn't realize that the USFL and XFL had agreed with the America Feds on this.  The last time I read anything, they still were apart on how many teams they wanted.

The reports so far say only 8 teams survive but it may not be written in stone quite yet. I also heard roster size could increase to 90 players but I find that hard to believe either. Both leagues lost money. I don't see keeping almost all the players from 16 teams but playing less games makes this financially possible.

I'm honestly not sure the new league survives past mid season. It's essentially just another start up with some references to two failed leagues from 2023.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 15, 2023, 05:26:10 PM
The reports so far say only 8 teams survive but it may not be written in stone quite yet. I also heard roster size could increase to 90 players but I find that hard to believe either. Both leagues lost money. I don't see keeping almost all the players from 16 teams but playing less games makes this financially possible.

I'm honestly not sure the new league survives past mid season. It's essentially just another start up with some references to two failed leagues from 2023.

If they adopt the NCAA policy of not paying players, it becomes a lot more affordable...

We all know, there are semi-pro leagues, senior leagues, lots of players play for little or no cash. 

Will the level of play be much worse with volunteer players looking to get back on the NFL radar?  Maybe make the pay so minimal if hurts, but cover expenses and medical?  I'm sure they can fill 8 rosters with guys full enough of themselves to believe this is their ticket to the show...  I know there were lots of players in the USFL/XFL that were wildly overpaid for what the teams got from them.  Maybe $250/week plus incentives.

Pretty sure that the USFL/XFL merger is not going to create a league where the level of play is better than the CFL, not by a long shot.  What they put together for their so successful seasons has been pretty terrible, and that is reflected in their TV numbers and fan turnout. 

Maybe Disney gets involved and has the league in a bubble on their grounds... or something else whacky like that.  ESPN rents a stadium...

Either way, that's 24 less QB prospects that will not have an option of "staying closer to home".  Not that there is any shortage of QB prospects that we can bring into camp... not sure how many of our neg list QB's will have an NFL sniff...  and if they are on our neg list, they must be worth a look.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 15, 2023, 05:47:58 PM
If they adopt the NCAA policy of not paying players, it becomes a lot more affordable...

We all know, there are semi-pro leagues, senior leagues, lots of players play for little or no cash. 

Will the level of play be much worse with volunteer players looking to get back on the NFL radar?  Maybe make the pay so minimal if hurts, but cover expenses and medical?  I'm sure they can fill 8 rosters with guys full enough of themselves to believe this is their ticket to the show...  I know there were lots of players in the USFL/XFL that were wildly overpaid for what the teams got from them.  Maybe $250/week plus incentives.

Pretty sure that the USFL/XFL merger is not going to create a league where the level of play is better than the CFL, not by a long shot.  What they put together for their so successful seasons has been pretty terrible, and that is reflected in their TV numbers and fan turnout. 

Maybe Disney gets involved and has the league in a bubble on their grounds... or something else whacky like that.  ESPN rents a stadium...

Either way, that's 24 less QB prospects that will not have an option of "staying closer to home".  Not that there is any shortage of QB prospects that we can bring into camp... not sure how many of our neg list QB's will have an NFL sniff...  and if they are on our neg list, they must be worth a look.

IMO there will be another 400 or so players available that might have been on XFL or USFL rosters last year. Why would they take less money to be 4th through 8th on any given depth chart when they could could be closer to a role in the CFL with better PR money?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on December 15, 2023, 11:37:56 AM
Why would Dru agree to that?

It puts him in the worst possible situation when he moves to a new team. If he's going to leave, he's going to want to pick what he believes is the best place for him and actually go through training camp with that team.

Ya, it's a long shot.  Basically Dru would agree to it because we'd basically match the money (once you factor in post-season), he gets to keep winning here (most places he can go will be sub-.500 even with Dru), stay with all his buds to try for a GC ring again, and not have to change-up his routine of living in WPG in-season.  And because we would not whisper a word of our actual plans to him.  The trade-bait idea would remain a closely guarded secret.

If TOR was able to afford 4 legit potential-starting QBs that one season and then trade or shed them in-season, then why not us?

But in the end, we may be the only ones valuing Dru highly, and it may just be us fans and not KW/MOS.  He could be the next Franklin or Jennings, looking like gold in relief on a #1 team, but in reality a great big bust.  If all the other GMs think that way, then Dru's only option may be to stay here for decent #2 money with a little bump up from last season.  And he still gets the Zach-succession carrot for 2026 dangled in front of his face...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

When are potential free agents allowed to speak with other CFL teams? I know there is an early window before free agency but can't remember exactly how early that happens.  I think it's only open for a couple of weeks early so perhaps the beginning of Feb?

By then, many potential free agents will have been re-signed with their teams.

If teams have any 2023 SMS left now is the time to use it up.

Just a feeling that the Bombers will have some left. We didn't have too many players hit the 1 game IR which would have been part of the budget. We also had some players sit on the 6 game IR which would have saved some SMS.

That said, we're down to a couple of weeks to use it or lose it. OTOH, players can be signed with bonus paid from 2024 SMS as well, so let's get a few players on new deals.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 16, 2023, 03:01:15 PM
When are potential free agents allowed to speak with other CFL teams? I know there is an early window before free agency but can't remember exactly how early that happens.  I think it's only open for a couple of weeks early so perhaps the beginning of Feb?

By then, many potential free agents will have been re-signed with their teams.

If teams have any 2023 SMS left now is the time to use it up.

Just a feeling that the Bombers will have some left. We didn't have too many players hit the 1 game IR which would have been part of the budget. We also had some players sit on the 6 game IR which would have saved some SMS.

That said, we're down to a couple of weeks to use it or lose it. OTOH, players can be signed with bonus paid from 2024 SMS as well, so let's get a few players on new deals.

Yah, not sure what the delay is unless they're holding announcements till after Christmas to generate more buzz.  They should have plenty of 23 cap left over considering how many vets were placed on the 6-game at the start of the season with a few taking multiple turns.  Also much of the money budgeted for Lawler was not spent for the first 8 games he did not play, which also goes back into the kitty.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 16, 2023, 04:40:37 PM
Yah, not sure what the delay is unless they're holding announcements till after Christmas to generate more buzz.  They should have plenty of 23 cap left over considering how many vets were placed on the 6-game at the start of the season with a few taking multiple turns.  Also much of the money budgeted for Lawler was not spent for the first 8 games he did not play, which also goes back into the kitty.

You could be right, as our Bomber border signed a new deal before leaving Winnipeg for the holidays and it hasn't been announced yet.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on December 16, 2023, 05:33:05 PM
You could be right, as our Bomber border signed a new deal before leaving Winnipeg for the holidays and it hasn't been announced yet.

Without disclosing a confidence, is it an important veteran player?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 16, 2023, 06:02:07 PM
Without disclosing a confidence, is it an important veteran player?

Starter, just coming off his entry level deal. Depending on what he signed for, mite have to charge him some rent next season. lol. Excellent kid, super respectful.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on December 16, 2023, 07:23:19 PM
Starter, just coming off his entry level deal. Depending on what he signed for, mite have to charge him some rent next season. lol. Excellent kid, super respectful.

I can think of 4 that match that... 2 Americans, 2 Canadians...  any of them are good re-signings.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 16, 2023, 04:40:37 PM
Also much of the money budgeted for Lawler was not spent for the first 8 games he did not play, which also goes back into the kitty.

Do we know if we regain that Lawler legal trouble cap space??  It's not like he was on the 6GIR.  And we signed him thinking he was going to play immediately.  I'm not sure SMS gives space back for suspensions and legal trouble issues...  Also, ignoring the cap for a second, we probably had to pay him his real-money contracted salary for his missed games, too.

What a poop-show of a debacle.  I hope we never do that again!  It was the worst misjudgement since the Darian Durant fiasco.  We seem to get bit by those every few years.  Let's hope it's all behind us.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on December 16, 2023, 07:23:19 PM

Quote from: theaardvark on December 16, 2023, 11:41:25 PM
I can think of 4 that match that... 2 Americans, 2 Canadians...  any of them are good re-signings.

Yup Pigskin... you're giving away too much info!!  The uberfans who sleep on printed copies of the roster can figure out your puzzle.  You've given us enough clues over so many months  ;) ;) ;)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 17, 2023, 04:38:35 AM
Do we know if we regain that Lawler legal trouble cap space??  It's not like he was on the 6GIR.  And we signed him thinking he was going to play immediately.  I'm not sure SMS gives space back for suspensions and legal trouble issues...  Also, ignoring the cap for a second, we probably had to pay him his real-money contracted salary for his missed games, too.

What a poop-show of a debacle.  I hope we never do that again!  It was the worst misjudgement since the Darian Durant fiasco.  We seem to get bit by those every few years.  Let's hope it's all behind us.

Players don't get paid while suspended. So in theory cap space gained. Don't over think it.
2019 Grey Cup Champions