If the Bombers lose Dru Brown

Started by bwiser, December 12, 2023, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwiser

If the Bombers lose Dru Brown who should the Bombers go after in free agency. These are some of the Qb's who could be available.
Arbuckle
Davis
Dolega
Evans
Fine
Locksley
Schitz
Stevens
I think I would go after Schiltz as he has a bit of room to improve and can learn the offense for two seasons before we would need him to lead the team. Stevens is also interesting as he has a bit of an upside. Davis, Arbuckle and Evans are as good as they are going to be so I would likely give those three a pass.

GOLDMEMBER

If I had to pick one of those Shiltz. I would rather take none and find our own.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 12, 2023, 10:46:55 PM
If I had to pick one of those Shiltz. I would rather take none and find our own.

Yup, if Brown walks then we find the next Brown.  If we did it before, we can do it again.

Not to be too harsh, but that entire list of guys sucks and I bet the number of those guys being a desired #1 starter on any team in 3 years will be zero or one.  Sure, some guys will be forced into starter due to injury or horrifically bad GM moves, like Fine and Dolegala were in 2023, but no one will be chasing after any of these guys to be their legit #1 for $500k in FA.

I agree with both you you that Schiltz is the most promising of the bunch.  He seems like he could be a VAJ -- in the league forever and finally shows some ability to be a #1.  The older ones in that crowd are clearly perennial #2's or SY guys.  The younger ones may have 1 guy going somewhere, but I doubt it.  Stevens could be interesting if he starts showing he can throw, but for now he strikes me as a LeFevor (superb SY guy, bad at everything else).

Our last 2 of 3 #2 QB finds turned out way better than anyone could have imagined (Strev & Brown).  McGuire was a bust as a possible #1, but was great SY.  I'd call Dom a bust too, as he really never became more than a SY guy, and he had plenty of chances (starts as #1).  But the fact Brown & Strev could have been / were / should be decent #1 starters shows that our scouts can find that next guy on ELC.  So let's do it again!

If I absolutely had to take a retread because we had no #2, Schiltz, Stevens and even Dane Evans would be the only guys I'd look at.  But why pay the retread $200k to probably not play than take a chance on a rookie ELC @$100k for 2 years?

And even though it may not be pretty, Prukop could start a couple of games for us in a pinch.  Just make it a run-heavy game plan.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on December 12, 2023, 10:25:50 PM
If the Bombers lose Dru Brown who should the Bombers go after in free agency. These are some of the Qb's who could be available.
Arbuckle
Davis
Dolega
Evans
Fine
Locksley
Schitz
Stevens
I think I would go after Schiltz as he has a bit of room to improve and can learn the offense for two seasons before we would need him to lead the team. Stevens is also interesting as he has a bit of an upside. Davis, Arbuckle and Evans are as good as they are going to be so I would likely give those three a pass.

Can't get too excited as many on that list are going to be retained as #2 by their current teams, of those cast adrift I would pick Fine as he might be the only one they could budget for around or under $100k.  He has good mobility, seems to be smart, and given better protection to throw than Sask. could provide, might have half decent accuracy.  Maybe under Zach he could develop as well as Brown has. 

Pigskin

Quote from: bwiser on December 12, 2023, 10:25:50 PM
Arbuckle
Davis
Dolega
Evans
Fine
Locksley
Schitz
Stevens

Stevens was resigned by Calgary on November 29th.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Collaros starts, Prukop is in his short yardage role and graduates to emergency back-up, we bring in a new developmental guy.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

I like Brown and he might end up being a starter somewhere in 2023. OTOH, he won't have the best RB in the league. He won't have the best or close to the best OL or set of receivers. What would he look like in 2023 Riderland?

It will be interesting to see what level of offers he receives from other teams. The reality is that he's started probably less than 6 games. Some of those were near pre season rosters in meaningless games. A couple were due to early in game injuries to Collaros where he's come in and done quite well.  He's only had 102 completions which is a good but small sample size.

If we lose him I'm inclined to go after Dolegala who could become our # 2 and short yardage guy. His size is intimidating IMO and he has some skill. On a roster better than the Riders he might do well. Has completed 216 passes.

The list of potential free agent QB's is not that extensive. I don't see any interest in Arbuckle, Evans, Davis, Fine or Locksley being better. Schiltz perhaps but he's done less in a longer time frame.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

the real issues may be if Bethel Thompson and/or Shreveler return to the cfl.
I could see the following scenarios with Hamilton, and Ottawa both needing starting qbs

Hamilton  = Bethel Thomas with Powell as a back up
Ottawa  = goes after Streveler backed up by Crum
Edmonton = goes after Masoli to back up Ford

if Streveler or Thomas don't return then Dru Brown becomes the target. ( I know there is a local  bias towards Brown over Streveler but with just a limited number of games he may just be another Arbuckle.)

BC likely retains Evans as #2, Calgary will look for a number two but they don't really go after free agents, Sask goes with Harris/Domigala, Mtrl Fajardo/Evans, which leaves Arbuckle, Fine, Shlitz, Cornilius as #3s which we may look to as a #2 if we lose brown.

blue_gold_84

Bethel-Thompson. Streveler.

In what universe is the latter a starting QB in the CFL - and what team is ponying up QB1 money for him?
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Pete on December 13, 2023, 04:59:01 PM
the real issues may be if Bethel Thomas and/or Shreveler return to the cfl.
I could see the following scenarios with Hamilton, and Ottawa both needing starting qbs

Hamilton  = Bethel Thomas with Powers as a back up
Ottawa  = goes after Streveler backed up by Crum
Edmonton = goes after Masoli to back up Ford

if Streveler or Thomas don't return then Dru Brown becomes the target. ( I know there is a local  bias towards Brown over Streveler but with just a limited number of games he may just be another Arbuckle.)

BC likely retains Evans as #2, Calgary will look for a number two but they don't really go after free agents, Sask goes with Harris/Domigala, Mtrl Fajardo/Evans, which leaves Arbuckle, Fine, Shlitz, Cornilius as #3s which we may look to as a #2 if we lose brown.

That would be interesting. Never heard of either of those guys.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!

Blue72

How about Toronto?s backup. He looked good also

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue72 on December 13, 2023, 08:26:59 PM
How about Toronto?s backup. He looked good also

He's not a free agent and remains under contract with the Argos for 2024.

https://www.cfl.ca/fa24/#ARGOS
#forthew
лава Україні!

Pete

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 13, 2023, 05:22:28 PM
Bethel-Thompson. Streveler.

In what universe is the latter a starting QB in the CFL - and what team is ponying up QB1 money for him?
I don't want to this into another streveler thread, but you don't last 3 yrs in the nfl without talent. Has any other current cfl qb even had a taste of the nfl?
I know the argument about his unique skills, but in the right situation with a 1a or 1b qb  he could be a real factor. Maybe not starter money but at 250-300k along with Jake Maier, Edm Jones. Ottawa Crum or even Hamilrton Powell could make a strong tandem

Stats Junkie

Chad Powers was a walk-on at Penn State a year or so back.

Powers didn't grade well but his arm caught the eye of offensive assistant Danny O'Brien.

Chad Powers audition at Penn State
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71