Off-Season Other Teams News

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, December 05, 2023, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Sounds like Dinwiddie is ready to flee the Argos on the next ring of his phone, not very encouraging when he says he's bored in his current situation.  Sounds like he hasn't embraced the CFL for all that it has given him and wallows in the dreams he has never fulfilled.

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/04/argos-ryan-dinwiddie-would-consider-any-nfl-opportunity-thats-the-right-fit/

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 07, 2023, 08:43:48 AM
Cody just won them a GC how on earth is this a miracle by his agent yo get him extended as an Al::)

I'm not surprised he's extended... I'm surprised he's extended for 3 years probably with vet-guaranteed money in 2nd and 3rd year even if he turns back into "bad Cody".  They are betting a lot on him being able to at least keep up his current mediocrity.  Would you bet your team's 3 year future on that?

Quote from: Jesse on December 07, 2023, 03:48:32 PM
He hasn't revitalized anything. He had one good game. He is what he is.

Thank you!  I find it odd people don't recognize what Cody is: He's the same he's always been.  Did you see the GC?  Hitch screen.  Hitch screen.  Low-mid shot up the middle.  Wide out.  Hitch screen.  Hitch screen.  Turtle sack.  Did I say hitch screen?

I've been reading the greenie forum since 2019 when Cody was still their god and, trust me, those greenies got a great feel for what Cody could do and couldn't do.  And they analyzed it more than I ever will.  And they are right.  If you go there now you of course have to put aside the Cody-hate, but they still correctly identify the Cody issues.  He'll never have a deep ball and he does look like he's shot-putting it every time he tries.  And the deep placement is basically random.

But hey, kudos to Cody, what he did was enough to win the GC with the supporting cast the little bespectacled guy has assembled, including that ball-hawking D, and against a team that believed their own hype too much and played not to lose.  It's similar to what Matt Nichols could have done for us in the 2019 GC, had he not been Lemonated.  And I, as a WPG fan, would have loved Nichols for doing that.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 07, 2023, 10:49:38 PM
I'm not surprised he's extended... I'm surprised he's extended for 3 years probably with vet-guaranteed money in 2nd and 3rd year even if he turns back into "bad Cody".  They are betting a lot on him being able to at least keep up his current mediocrity.  Would you bet your team's 3 year future on that?

Thank you!  I find it odd people don't recognize what Cody is: He's the same he's always been.  Did you see the GC?  Hitch screen.  Hitch screen.  Low-mid shot up the middle.  Wide out.  Hitch screen.  Hitch screen.  Turtle sack.  Did I say hitch screen?

I've been reading the greenie forum since 2019 when Cody was still their god and, trust me, those greenies got a great feel for what Cody could do and couldn't do.  And they analyzed it more than I ever will.  And they are right.  If you go there now you of course have to put aside the Cody-hate, but they still correctly identify the Cody issues.  He'll never have a deep ball and he does look like he's shot-putting it every time he tries.  And the deep placement is basically random.

But hey, kudos to Cody, what he did was enough to win the GC with the supporting cast the little bespectacled guy has assembled, including that ball-hawking D, and against a team that believed their own hype too much and played not to lose.  It's similar to what Matt Nichols could have done for us in the 2019 GC, had he not been Lemonated.  And I, as a WPG fan, would have loved Nichols for doing that.
Ya, I did watch the Grey Cup...he was the one hoisting it at the end of the game while we were crying in our beer.

And who cares how many hitch screens he makes as long as he wins?? Maybe ZC should have thrown a hitch screen instead of the interception in the end zone.

And he didn't have just one good game. He went on a pretty decent winning streak to win the cup, wasn't it 8 games in a row without a loss?? The Als would be fools not to extend him, they don't have to worry about who's their Qb for the next 3 seasons. Do we know who our Qb will be in 3 years?? I don't want to even think about it...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 07, 2023, 11:48:05 PM
Ya, I did watch the Grey Cup...he was the one hoisting it at the end of the game while we were crying in our beer.

Still only mid-shots, and only at the very end in 3-down territory in a do-or-die situation.  Other than that Calvillo kept him on a very short leash.  But hey, Buck kept Zach on a short leash too.

And who cares how many hitch screens he makes as long as he wins?? Maybe ZC should have thrown a hitch screen instead of the interception in the end zone.

Absolutely.  Or that 2nd & 10 sack to lose the game.  I blame a massive portion of the loss on Buck & MOS being too conservative once it was clear MTL wasn't going to roll over and die as expected.

And he didn't have just one good game. He went on a pretty decent winning streak to win the cup, wasn't it 8 games in a row without a loss??

Did you see the EDF?  Cody tried massively hard to lose that game, but the MTL D (and ST) kept bailing him out.  Cody could have thrown for negative yardage and they'd still win that game.  I'm pretty sure that game was the battle of the Who Wants To Be The Worst QB between him & Kelly.  I really didn't see anything special in that final MTL win streak against garbage opponents, and especially not by Cody himself.  As I said before, he's not even Matt Nichols.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Fajardo didn't just have one good game. Montreal won 7 straight at the end of the year culminating in a Grey Cup win. You don't do that with a terrible QB.

We lost fair and square. The two turnovers in scoring territory were excellent defensive plays more than Bomber mistakes. Montreal would have had an additional 7 points if they'd simply kicked a FG at the end of the half and if the refs hadn't called roughing the passer on Collaros when he clearly wasn't a passer and it clearly wasn't a head shot.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Als re-sign Sankey to a 2 year contract. Bombers weren't interested in him and he ends up with a Grey Cup win and new contract.

Go figure.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Interesting to note that Mtrl signed first the keys to success in grey cup..Fajardo and Sankey and Lemon, two of which Riders didn't resign and the third they could have signed. Yet ODay is still there

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on December 08, 2023, 03:18:10 PM
Interesting to note that Mtrl signed first the keys to success in grey cup..Fajardo and Sankey and Lemon, two of which Riders didn't resign and the third they could have signed. Yet ODay is still there

Any report on what these players signed for?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Just read a report that Sankey's two year deal could be north of $340K.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on December 08, 2023, 06:24:55 PM
Just read a report that Sankey's two year deal could be north of $340K.

Yikes.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Thats 170 per year, not unreasonable

dd

Quote from: Pete on December 08, 2023, 10:26:41 PM
Thats 170 per year, not unreasonable

I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. We pay Bighill $165 and Sankey is the better MLB and on the upswing, Biggie is on the back 9 of his career

Jesse

Quote from: dd on December 08, 2023, 11:33:33 PM
I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat. We pay Bighill $165 and Sankey is the better MLB and on the upswing, Biggie is on the back 9 of his career

Sankey is a one dimensional LBer and is definitely not on the upswing.

It's not an increadibly unreasonable deal, but it's exactly a steal for the team, either.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Sankey is 29, has at least 4-5 years left in his 6'2 250 lb tank. Bighill is 35, and at 5'10 230, doesn't bring the wood like he used to, Sankey will kill you

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on December 08, 2023, 03:18:10 PM

So how did every GM in the league miss the boat on Lemon for 2/3rds of the 2023 season?  If he's the best thing since sliced bread instead of being a washed up couch-sitter, why did everyone take a pass?  Was he really holding out for too much $$?  How much did MTL pay him for that 1/3rd of a season?

Why did everyone think he was washed up and done and then he comes in and plays some of the best ball of his life?

I'm not sure I recall a scenario like this occurring to such an extent.  Usually it's just one GM like Buono screwing up (i.e. AH33), not the entire league's worth of GMs... including our own KW!
Never go full Rider!