Off-Season Other Teams News

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, December 05, 2023, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 08, 2024, 05:40:35 PMIIRC, Mack got a good signing bonus so I wouldn't expect him to return to the CFL this year.

I've seen players with a lot larger signing bonuses not make it to camp...

Mack will earn a base salary of $915,000 and a signing bonus of $24,000, while carrying a cap hit of $927,000 and a dead cap value of $24,000.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Quote from: Ridermania on February 08, 2024, 03:37:25 PMMontreal signs Tevin Jones.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/07/sources-montreal-alouettes-agree-to-terms-with-receiver-tevin-jones/
Riders have picked up 6 players, probably due to how they\ve overpaid in the past for lesser talents. It does look like they will be more competitive this year (with Thurman, Carney, Hardrick, Oulette, Auclair and Cooper. )

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on February 08, 2024, 06:04:59 PMRiders have picked up 6 players, probably due to how they\ve overpaid in the past for lesser talents. It does look like they will be more competitive this year (with Thurman, Carney, Hardrick, Oulette, Auclair and Cooper. )

Riders have picked up some nice pieces. Should be better this year.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on February 08, 2024, 06:26:51 PMRiders have picked up some nice pieces. Should be better this year.

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on February 08, 2024, 06:26:51 PMRiders have picked up some nice pieces. Should be better this year.

Mace is moving them in the right direction, won't be many easy spots on the bingo card this season for the Bombers and some real dogfights, predicting at least 6 losses.

drahgon

That's a pretty low bar, but I agree.

Ridermania

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Ridermania on February 08, 2024, 07:22:34 PMMontreal grant Almondo Sewell his release....on his way to the Peg???

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/08/montreal-alouettes-release-veteran-dt-almondo-sewell/

Dude is already 37.  How much does he have left in the tank?  I'm not against this if he comes relatively cheap, but he'd only be with us 1 or 2 years at best, so I wouldn't want to blow up the cap to sign him.

theaardvark

Quote from: Ridermania on February 08, 2024, 07:22:34 PMMontreal grant Almondo Sewell his release....on his way to the Peg???

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/08/montreal-alouettes-release-veteran-dt-almondo-sewell/

He was set to make $145k.. so I expect he thinks he can make more if he asked for his release... unless they asked him to renegotiate and were going to cut him... asking for his release gives him a better sales pitch for a new deal...

I can't see us coming close to $145k for him... and I don't think he will come for under $120k which would be the far top end of what I would offer...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Ya, Montreal signed Wiggan, a younger NAT to play DT, that was the right move, wish we could have got him!! Sewell is old, not sure what he's got left, but I think Montreal just told us not much!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 06, 2024, 10:46:07 PMtrue but this scouting staff has proven they can find DB talent year in and year out. This will need to continue.

Our scouts need to up their game.  MTL out-scouted the entire league in 2022-2023.  We need some of the next Entos and Uguwaks (sp?) and Macks and Sneads and Dequois.  We've been finding maybe 1 superstar a season.  Need more future-superstar ELCs, and fast.

For instance, we could really use some scouting gems in DB (x2?), DT, (maybe) DE, (maybe) WR, (maybe) RT.  Come on McManus et al!!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on February 07, 2024, 06:42:43 PMStanback at $160 is a deal for the Lions, he would have done outstanding here

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2024, 07:23:43 PMIs BO20 worth $70k more than Stanback?
A resounding YES.

Boom, there's the answer as to what our other option was (re: Brady).  $70 more for Brady.  Doesn't sound like much, but that's the difference between losing or re-signing 2-3 guys like Jeffcoat, Walker, Houston.  Worth it??  Hmmm...  I guess we'll see, eh!!

Quote from: Jesse on February 07, 2024, 07:22:08 PMI would have been really disappointed to sign Stanback, certainly for that much.

It's a decent deal for a GC champ and guy who clearly still has mega speed and power.  I still think Stanback would have looked 3X better in our run-first system and with our OL.  Will BC use him, or will they still be run-last?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2024, 08:50:00 PMOh no, we lost Nevis! (Stove steps up )

Oh no, we lost Stove! ( Casey Sayles steps up )

Oh no, we lost Casey Sayles ( Ricky Walker steps up)

Oh no, we lost Ricky Walker... who is the next man up?

Quote from: dd on February 07, 2024, 11:11:16 PMNo one has come close to replacing Richardson at tackle, its been a steady decline since he left. I am hoping we break this trend

FIFY.  You forgot Sir Drake.  BUT... BUT... every single step down that ladder was a slight drop off.  Nevis was really the best.  Stove was slightly different, but overall slightly worse.  Sayles was a big drop off.  Walker even more.  However, all were serviceable, and pretty darn good for 2nd/3rd year dev guys.

BUT... AND... the next-man-up was always the apprentice.  Never a raw rookie fresh up from the states.  So that would mean Fox or bust, eh?  We haven't seen squat from him yet, so we're flying blind.

It would be nice if we could go back to Nevis/Stove levels one year soon...

On the bright side, there's the DT-leaving-WPG curse thing.  Nevis and Stove really never played after leaving... they got their big signing $$ and promptly got injured and then retired.  Sayles did ok but they never played him as much as we did here, since they had so many options.
Never go full Rider!