Status Updates of both our OC and DC

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, November 30, 2023, 03:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

With the Riders choosing Mace over Buck what is the current status of his contract and Hall's contract as well?   Walter's made a public statement with regard to our players and for them to defer making any career changing decisions in light of our crushing defeat in the GC.   
I'm sure both Miller and MOS want both of them back and gear up for another Cup run?   Buck still has a lot of football left in him and eventually will become a HC somewhere in this league.    I'm not sure about Hall though as he's going to be 64 in October of 2024.   
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

I'd imagine it's reasonable to conclude both Pierce and Hall remain under contract for the 2024 season.

I've come across nothing to suggest otherwise. Pierce will probably get another look but who knows when. I think that ship's sailed for Hall.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 30, 2023, 04:16:31 PM
I'd imagine it's reasonable to conclude both Pierce and Hall remain under contract for the 2024 season.

I've come across nothing to suggest otherwise. Pierce will probably get another look but who knows when. I think that ship's sailed for Hall.

It's reasonable to assume they could still lose Younger or one of the other assistance, but the main guys are set.  A bit disappointed they didn't move on from their STC Paul Boudreau, I think they could use a shake up after last seasons poor performance.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 30, 2023, 05:41:27 PM
It's reasonable to assume they could still lose Younger or one of the other assistance, but the main guys are set.  A bit disappointed they didn't move on from their STC Paul Boudreau, I think they could use a shake up after last seasons poor performance.

I'm not sure what Younger's contract status is beyond 2023 (I couldn't find any open source info) but I think the organization would try to retain him.

As for special teams, key injuries tested the unit's depth for the bulk of the season. I'd be hesitant to lay blame at Boudreau's feet; he's been an excellent STC during his tenure here.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

ModAdmin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 30, 2023, 06:17:01 PM

As for special teams, key injuries tested the unit's depth for the bulk of the season. I'd be hesitant to lay blame at Boudreau's feet; he's been an excellent STC during his tenure here.

Agree with this 100%.  Boudreau certainly deserves another year to right the ST performance.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

With Buck takning himself out of consideration for the SSK job because of what he has going here, I assume he has already signed an extension.

Hall has been here 8 years, has stated he's not looking for an HC job, and is only 64.  He is here as DC as long as he wants to be. 

The rest of the staff might get offers of promotion elsewhere, we like continuity here, so unless they get upgrade offers, we might retain the entire staff.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 30, 2023, 05:41:27 PM

Wouldn't Younger, assuming he's promising, which he seems to be, be on the same heir-apparent track that Buck may be on?... If Hall has to depart suddenly, or just normal retirement after a season, who better to take over than Younger?  (Unless we hire a guy named "Youngest", hahahaha.)

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 30, 2023, 06:17:01 PM

I blamed Boudreau at least 50% for that '22 GC loss, and have been watching him like a hawk.  But he cleaned up all the stuff I was ranting about for 2023, and the ST performance in the '23 GC was stellar!  We only gave them one longish return, and that Letcher dude might be the league's next great returner.  And I'm pretty sure we didn't give up a blocked FG all season.  So even if our yardage gained and lost wasn't great in 2023, Boudreau has done enough for me to be happy, and he has my permission to stay.   ;) ;) :D 8)
Never go full Rider!

BLUEBOMBER

The coach I would let walk anytime is Boudreau. Our special teams absolutely didn't do anything good this season...

Stretch

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 01, 2023, 03:26:16 AM

I blamed Boudreau at least 50% for that '22 GC loss, and have been watching him like a hawk. 

I'd be very interested to know what you can tell about a Special Teams Coordinator by watching them "like a hawk".
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Jesse

Quote from: Stretch on December 01, 2023, 02:19:40 PM
I'd be very interested to know what you can tell about a Special Teams Coordinator by watching them "like a hawk".

Especially when you can't see the coverage teams on the TV broadcast.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on December 01, 2023, 02:19:40 PM

By that I meant watching every FG attempt all year like a hawk: you watch Boudreau like a hawk by watching the output from the unit he controls.  Watching who he put on the line.  Watching how fast the line acted at the snap.  Watching how well they protect the gaps.  Watching how seriously they are taking their job.  Basically watching to see if the GC-losing blocked FG garbage was repeated in 2023.  It wasn't.  I call that a win.

I wasn't as interested in coverage, because that wasn't a big problem in 2022.  Yes, it got worse in 2023, but I was looking for fixes to the 2022 mistakes, not new mistakes.  We can worry about 2023 mistakes going into 2024.  And again, the GC coverage was superb, and that's really my main concern when it comes to filling puzzle pieces.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on December 01, 2023, 02:41:30 PM
Especially when you can't see the coverage teams on the TV broadcast.

To be fair to TSN, when there's a big breakout/return they usually show wider angles on replay, and often (but not always) the all-24.  The average return, yah, they usually show just the tight shot of the carrier.

But also to be fair, so few fans find the ST coverage/blocking game interesting.  Maybe if fans showed more of an interest they'd give more focus.  My biggest bugbear is when there's a ST penalty and they don't even announce what it was or who it was on.
Never go full Rider!

Stretch

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 02, 2023, 12:46:53 AM
By that I meant watching every FG attempt all year like a hawk: you watch Boudreau like a hawk by watching the output from the unit he controls.  Watching who he put on the line.  Watching how fast the line acted at the snap.  Watching how well they protect the gaps.  Watching how seriously they are taking their job.  Basically watching to see if the GC-losing blocked FG garbage was repeated in 2023.  It wasn't.  I call that a win.

I wasn't as interested in coverage, because that wasn't a big problem in 2022.  Yes, it got worse in 2023, but I was looking for fixes to the 2022 mistakes, not new mistakes.  We can worry about 2023 mistakes going into 2024.  And again, the GC coverage was superb, and that's really my main concern when it comes to filling puzzle pieces.

Interesting logic. You must be a politician.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on December 02, 2023, 01:47:19 AM
Interesting logic. You must be a politician.

Well, it's true.  The casual fan uses 3rd down to go take a wizz, knowing that right after every punt/FG is a 1.5 min ad break.  That's like nearly 2.5-3.0 min if you get up immediately after a team fails on 2nd down.

It's a shame, as the CFL punt game is always a white-knuckler, since at least a couple of times a week there's some big return (though not always a TD).  I know that in the GC I was sweatin' bullets every punt... ours and theirs.  Maybe the league's best 2 returners at that moment... too bad Grant didn't break one out on that final kick return.
Never go full Rider!