Winnipeg Blue Bombers sign GM Kyle Walters to two-year extension

Started by blue_gold_84, November 28, 2023, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-gm-kyle-walters-to-two-year-extension-1.2041794

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced Tuesday they have signed general manager Kyle Walters to a two-year contract extension to remain with the club. 

The Bombers also announced that assistant general manager and director of U.S scouting Danny McManus and senior assistant general manager and director of player personnel Ted Goveia will also remain with the team.

The details of their deals was not announced.

Walters has been the Blue Bombers' general manager since 2013, but both sides failed to reach a deal during the season.

Over his nine seasons at the helm of the Bombers, Walters has gone 98-72 with a pair of West Division and Grey Cup titles to his name.

McManus was first hired by the Blue Bombers in a personnel capacity in December of 2013 and 2024 will mark his 10th season with the organization.

Goveia will also be entering his 10th year with the Blue Bombers in 2024, having first been hired by the club in December of 2013.

The Blue Bombers are set to enter a free agency period highlighted by the expiring contracts of  Most Outstanding Canadian Brady Oliveira, receiver Rasheed Bailey,  Most Outstanding Lineman nominee Jermarcus Hardrick, and the duo of Jackson Jeffcoat and Willie Jefferson.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

So, Walters for 2, assuming the others for one.  Leave their opportunities open, but knowing as long as Walters is running things, their jobs are guaranteed.

Great news that its not just one year, wish if was 3.  This puts his deal in alignment with MOS and they all end after we host the 2025 GC.

Makes sense...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 07:52:52 PM
Great news that its not just one year, wish if was 3.  This puts his deal in alignment with MOS and they all end after we host the 2025 GC.

That's what I was thinking.  Anyhow, it's all good and we can pretty much forget about "The Mafia" as a concern for ~750 days.  Now, to worry about players!...
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 08:41:18 PM
Any idea what Miller's contract status is?

The President or the injured one?  It's funny, but we all seem to be in the dark about the office contracts.  Usually you guys/gals are on top of this stuff.  My guess is President Miller is under contract still.  On the injured Miller: I have no idea but am guessing retirement.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Darren Cameron

Blue Bombers and General Manager Kyle Walters agree to terms on two-year extension

WINNIPEG, MB., November 28, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce a two-year contract extension for General Manager Kyle Walters. Assistant General Manager/Director of U.S. Scouting Danny McManus and Senior Assistant General Manager/Director of Player Personnel Ted Goveia will also remain with the Club.

All three men have played instrumental roles in the success of the franchise, particularly over the last seven years during which the club has posted double-digit win campaigns and advanced to four consecutive Grey Cup games, with championships in 2019 and 2021.

Kyle Walters was first named the 17th general manager in franchise history on November 26th, 2013 after previously serving as an assistant coach and assistant GM. The 2024 season will mark his 14th year with the club.

Walters has helped build the Blue Bombers into a Canadian Football League powerhouse through the CFL Draft, adept moves in free agency and some shrewd trades along the way. He has been a part of three Grey Cup championship teams, two as the Blue Bombers GM in 2019 and 2021 and also as a player with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1999.

Danny McManus was first hired by the Blue Bombers in a personnel capacity in December of 2013 and 2024 will mark his 10th season with the organization. McManus heads up the Blue Bombers U.S. scouting, while working closely with Walters and Goveia in shaping the club's negotiation list of prospects.

Ted Goveia will also be entering his 10th year with the Blue Bombers in 2024, having first been hired by the club in December of 2013. Goveia has been heavily involved in the scouting department in both Canada and the U.S.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 08:41:18 PM
Any idea what Miller's contract status is?

Has any info ever been provided on his contract? I can't recall ever seeing anything.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 29, 2023, 05:22:28 AM
Darren Cameron

Blue Bombers and General Manager Kyle Walters agree to terms on two-year extension

WINNIPEG, MB., November 28, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce a two-year contract extension for General Manager Kyle Walters. Assistant General Manager/Director of U.S. Scouting Danny McManus and Senior Assistant General Manager/Director of Player Personnel Ted Goveia will also remain with the Club.

All three men have played instrumental roles in the success of the franchise, particularly over the last seven years during which the club has posted double-digit win campaigns and advanced to four consecutive Grey Cup games, with championships in 2019 and 2021.

Kyle Walters was first named the 17th general manager in franchise history on November 26th, 2013 after previously serving as an assistant coach and assistant GM. The 2024 season will mark his 14th year with the club.

Walters has helped build the Blue Bombers into a Canadian Football League powerhouse through the CFL Draft, adept moves in free agency and some shrewd trades along the way. He has been a part of three Grey Cup championship teams, two as the Blue Bombers GM in 2019 and 2021 and also as a player with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 1999.

Danny McManus was first hired by the Blue Bombers in a personnel capacity in December of 2013 and 2024 will mark his 10th season with the organization. McManus heads up the Blue Bombers U.S. scouting, while working closely with Walters and Goveia in shaping the club's negotiation list of prospects.

Ted Goveia will also be entering his 10th year with the Blue Bombers in 2024, having first been hired by the club in December of 2013. Goveia has been heavily involved in the scouting department in both Canada and the U.S.
The signing of MOS and these 3 solidify the nucleus of the foundation required to move this football team forward. There?s no doubt in my mind we ll successfully navigate free agency and be in a position to challenge for another grey cup

GOLDMEMBER

Welcome back proven management team!

Lets get over the hump eh!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Doublezero

Very glad to see Kyle, Danny and Ted locked up for 2 more seasons. Pretty obvious from KW's comments that big changes and challenges are at hand. There's little doubt we are going to lose a good-sized cadre of players to retirement and free agency. More than in the past few off seasons. No more hometown discounts or players taking haircuts just to stay in Winnipeg. And if we lose Buck, which seems likely, that will immediately diminish the club's ability to fully evaluate everyone on the O side of the ball - O line, QBs, receivers, RB and positional money allocations and priorities there. Until a new OC is in place.
Just gimme the rock.

TecnoGenius

Takeaways for those who didn't watch:

- MOS/KW/Ted/Danny all aligned on contract expiration date
- may have more player loss than previous years
- no idea what will happen with Schoen
- Hall's name not mentioned: so still under contract or a slam dunk? KW did say Buck was the only coach approached by other teams
- Buck leaving is talked about as an uncertainty
- player SMS going up $75k this off-season
- KW asked directly if he got a raise or will talk about his salary and he declined to answer
- we've succeeded in copying the "CGY model" of being a good team year after year without much FA splash, etc
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

My read on his demeanour is KW got whatever it was he was looking for in the negotiation.  He wasn't ornery at all.  Basically back to normal ol' let's-get-down-to-business KW.  I'd call the last 1-2 months KW an aberration.  Hopefully we don't have to see that again until 2025-2026 FA.  And hopefully then the coach cap will be much larger so everyone can be kept happy(er).

I wonder how long the Canadian Mafia can keep on keepin' on and being successful?  What's the record for GM longevity on a single team?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Doublezero on November 29, 2023, 08:43:12 PM
No more hometown discounts or players taking haircuts just to stay in Winnipeg.

I didn't get that impression at all... the only "hometown discount" talk I heard was when they asked KW about his own contract.  Unless I missed something else...

And why wouldn't players still take discounts to stay in winning WPG?  Making it to the GC, even if not winning, year after year is worth a lot to players, monetarily and otherwise.  Players don't like to lose a ton of games, even if they are highly paid.  See: Lawler.  And it's not just the GC appearances/$$: it's the good culture, good coaching, good environment.  None of that has changed.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 30, 2023, 01:23:29 AM
My read on his demeanour is KW got whatever it was he was looking for in the negotiation.  He wasn't ornery at all.  Basically back to normal ol' let's-get-down-to-business KW.  I'd call the last 1-2 months KW an aberration.  Hopefully we don't have to see that again until 2025-2026 FA.  And hopefully then the coach cap will be much larger so everyone can be kept happy(er).

I wonder how long the Canadian Mafia can keep on keepin' on and being successful?  What's the record for GM longevity on a single team?

As Walters said earlier, he understands salary cap limitations better than anyone, he also understands that's the current  policy of the league and there's nothing he can do about it at this time other than accept it.