Riders' Head Coach Vacancy

Started by ModAdmin, November 28, 2023, 03:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Scott Milanovich is no longer in the mix for the Riders' Head Coach position according to Farhan Lalji.  The position should be filled very soon.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Oh oh... not sure losing Buck is as big a deal as one might think.... if he does go, there are a lot of talented guys out there.  And who wouldn't want to work with MOS and this crew...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Bummer, Milanovich would have been perfect for SSK, and now that hints more at Buck leaving.

I still don't think Buck is HC material, but I guess we'll see.  If he goes to SSK and sucks worse than Craig, which is entirely possible with that goofus of a GM and the ruined culture there, then does he tank the rest of his career... or can he go back to being a OC somewhere?  History shows it can destroy your whole career, or take 5-10 years before someone takes a chance on your toxic brand again.

The problem with hiring a rando OC for WPG is that they won't be steeped in the tried & true Lapo/Buck formula.  That means a whole new formula, which may or may not prove as good.  Our O is great: lots of room to fall down; not much room to improve.

What about this: the only way to keep KW and the ace scouts was to let Buck walk so we can pay the next OC half Buck's salary?  The Mafia wanted more money, and I don't see how else they could have gotten it.  This could hint at promoting an OC from in-house, a really junior guy who'd be happy to take peanuts to get the job.  Do we have someone like that?  The advantage there is they know the Lapo/Buck "way".

And with reduced salary for an OC, no way we can lure Lapo back.  You can even forget about McAdoo or similar.  It would have to be an unproven young dude.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 07:20:58 AM
This could hint at promoting an OC from in-house, a really junior guy who'd be happy to take peanuts to get the job.  Do we have someone like that?  The advantage there is they know the Lapo/Buck "way".

And with reduced salary for an OC, no way we can lure Lapo back.  You can even forget about McAdoo or similar.  It would have to be an unproven young dude.

I was thinking the same. Seems on brand to promote an in-house guy. Costello or Bourgoin.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

According to Lalji, Mace and Pierce are the front-runners for the HC job in Riderville.

If Pierce gets the job, good for him. It'll be a tall order to help turn that team around, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 28, 2023, 01:12:44 PM
According to Lalji, Mace and Pierce are the front-runners for the HC job in Riderville.

If Pierce gets the job, good for him. It'll be a tall order to help turn that team around, IMO.
look at Montreal....they went from dumpster fire last season where practically everyone wrote them off to cancelling a potential "dynasty" by beating us on our fourth consecutive appearance.in the GC.   TO the season before was in complete disarray as well and they turned their season around and won a GC, again at our expense.   

Why not the Riders?    Highly unlikely however this is the Crazy Football League!
Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 28, 2023, 03:43:48 PM
look at Montreal....they went from dumpster fire last season where practically everyone wrote them off to cancelling a potential "dynasty" by beating us on our fourth consecutive appearance.in the GC.   TO the season before was in complete disarray as well and they turned their season around and won a GC, again at our expense.  

Why not the Riders?    Highly unlikely however this is the Crazy Football League!

Not sure I'd call a 9-9 team that finished second in the East last season a dumpster fire.

Not sure I'd call a 9-5 team that finished atop the East in 2021 as being in complete disarray, either.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Buck as HC is an unknown.  But he has more coaching experience that MOS did when he got the gig heading up the Bombers,  And Buck is the same kind of players coach.  So who knows.  I do remember a lot of people questioning him as OC, both from a "one too many hits to the head" standpoint, and from a standpoint of coaching like he played, with no regard for the consequences of his play. 

He has proved many of the naysayers wrong so far.  But there is always the Peter principle, of being promoted to your level of incompetence.

As to who he "takes" with him, if O'Day takes the chance on him, he will expect some assistance in recruiting some key parts, and no doubt, some will take the extra $ to go.  Unlike Lawler regretting the situation he ended up in going to Edm, having Buck as a familiar face will make landing in Riderville easier. 

All that said, I think Mace is a much better option and fit.  I am surprised that Killam is not in the mix, though.  He is far past due his shot.  Or Shivers.

With Walters and company back, I'm not too worried about losing Buck and maybe some players.  It will make the west even more of a dogfight, poor CGY will probably be bottom dwellers again, especially if SSK gets a good new coach.   
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Buck has been Bomber Blue almost contiguously since 2010. It'd be weird to see him in any other colours.
#Ride?

guyinfla89

Time for Buck to go.  Play calling not always good.  Too much long passing requires extra pocket time resulting in sacks & QB hits.  We need a fresh approach for OC.

Pigskin

I am not to worried about replacing Buck. I am pretty sure it wouldn't take much to get Lapo back here, considering his family home is in Manitoba.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: guyinfla89 on November 28, 2023, 06:54:36 PM
Time for Buck to go.  Play calling not always good.  Too much long passing requires extra pocket time resulting in sacks & QB hits.  We need a fresh approach for OC.

Nah. Pierce is being considered for his first ever HC job because the Bombers had the most productive offense in 2023, not to mention amongst the league's best in both 2021 and 2022.

It may be time for him to go - to a promotion. And he has more than earned the opportunity.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Sir Blue and Gold

It would be interesting to see what Buck could do in Regina. I have a (totally unproven) theory that offensive coordinators are often more dependent on their personnel than defensive coordinators. A really great defensive mind can scheme their way to effectiveness but a great offensive coordinator still needs an above average QB and offensive line. Hope he doesn't go but if he does I'd rather lose Buck than Richie Hall.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 28, 2023, 03:43:48 PM
look at Montreal....they went from dumpster fire last season where practically everyone wrote them off to cancelling a potential "dynasty" by beating us on our fourth consecutive appearance.in the GC.

I would put most of the credit for MTL's GC appearance & win on their scouts and GM.  They looked horrible on paper in the off-season because they had no big names.  It was all rookies and DPs and nobodies.  They let all their superstars walk.

But then look at all the talent that emerged from those nobodies!  Who gets that kind of scouting efficiency and success??  And the fact they struck gold with all those ELCs meant they had tons of SMS left to late-sign Lemon & Sankey, and likely give players pre-bonuses for next year, assuring they stay strong in FA.  If they can keep this up, they'll beat TOR in W's in 2024, and it'll be a WPG/MTL GC again.

So either their scouts/GM are geniuses or they are the luckiest guys in years!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 04:17:55 PM
I am surprised that Killam is not in the mix, though.  He is far past due his shot.

Killam is being groomed for CGY HC.  That team loves their in-house assembly line.  Killam has been promised things and he'll stay loyal.  (Just my speculation after watching CGY for 15 years.)
Never go full Rider!