Riders' Head Coach Vacancy

Started by ModAdmin, November 28, 2023, 03:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 28, 2023, 10:04:00 PM
I give at least 33% on Jake Maier fails, nothing much wrong with the game plan, he just failed to execute, over and over.

Which is a GM failure
My wife is amazing!

dd

Jake Maier is not the answer in Calgary, they need to move on from him

Big Daddy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 09:18:15 PM
Maybe true.  Maybe not.  Maybe half-true.  Watching CGY closely I'd apportion the blame 50/50 HC/GM.  HC has been making terrible in-game decisions for at least 3 seasons now.  And I think the players no longer believe in the system, watching their general demeanour and comparing to 2018/2019.

However, the HC is the most visible figurehead to the lay-fan.  Most casual fans can't name their GM, nor do they know what they do, nor do they care.  It's the guy on the field dealing with a losing product that everyone sees and points the finger at.  How many times was KW seen at IGF or on TSN by the lay-fans this season?  I think zero!?  Hard to pin the public blame on the wizard behind the curtain.

Just look at SSK!!  Their GM was way worse than their HC (also bad), and he survives because if you fire the HC you wash away almost all of the perceived sin.  Only the uber-fans know better.

I actually saw him on the Bomber sidelines a number of times this season.

Big Daddy

Quote from: guyinfla89 on November 28, 2023, 06:54:36 PM
Time for Buck to go.  Play calling not always good.  Too much long passing requires extra pocket time resulting in sacks & QB hits.  We need a fresh approach for OC.

And who exactly would you choose to replace Buck?  As others have said, he's only been at the helm of the most productive offense this year, and has carried on seamlessly since LaPo left, not even a hiccup.

He has definitely earned his opportunity.  I hope for our sake he doesn't take it, and if he does I sure hope he succeeds.  He's a class act all around.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: drahgon on November 28, 2023, 09:48:40 PM
Thats the same guy in Calgary...

Ya I know, but he can be competent at one job (GM) while sucking at the other (HC).  (Not saying he's been a great GM either.)  Besides, I think Huff still has massive input on GM choices / player hiring decisions.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 29, 2023, 03:18:47 AM
I actually saw him on the Bomber sidelines a number of times this season.

That's my point... the average guy up in the stands never sees the GM.  He's not on the jumbotron, he's not giving speeches like WM, he's not on TSN.  The only way you see him is to catch a glimpse in person on the sidelines or watch the 2-4 pressers a year on bb.com.  And that's really only uber-fans.

The face of a team is the HC.  Second to that, the Prez.  Third to that is any coords who like to call from the sideline.  Everyone else is pretty much a ghost to the casual fan.
Never go full Rider!

DCM

Farhan Lalji

Hearing #Riders have agreed to terms with Corey Mace to be their next head coach. The former #Argos DC has won 2 #GreyCups as an assistant. Really a home run hire for Sask. Not sure they could have made a bad choice between their two finalists.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

The Zipp

Quote from: DCM on November 30, 2023, 12:44:50 AM
Farhan Lalji

Hearing #Riders have agreed to terms with Corey Mace to be their next head coach. The former #Argos DC has won 2 #GreyCups as an assistant. Really a home run hire for Sask. Not sure they could have made a bad choice between their two finalists.

Nice.  I don't have to change my profile picture...

Jesse

I only want the best for Buck, and I also know that he deserves better than the Riders. Congrats to everyone involved.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Wha!?  I'm actually shocked.

Mace?  Over Buck?  Maybe it came down to Mace willing to take less $?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

So does that mean Buck staying with WFC is a done deal?  Or might one of the other iffy-HC teams (OTT?) be dialling him up?

If Buck stays here, then my more-money-for-KW theory is completely blown out of the water.  I can't imagine Buck would agree to stay at a discount!!  If Buck stays then that means everyone in the coach cap basically stayed at status quo level.

I guess we wait to see what Buck does.  Was Buck still under contract and simply being permitted to look at a promotion move?  I suppose if that's the case then no promotion move means he's stuck here with the same contract?  In that case WFC wouldn't have to announce anything except "Buck ain't going to be HC for another team".

If he's our OC in 2024 then I guess I must say I'm very please with the outcome of everything.  Keeping The Mafia together and keeping our coords together... can't ask for a better Christmas present than that!
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on November 30, 2023, 12:46:19 AM
Nice.  I don't have to change my profile picture...

Uhhh what is that a picture of?  It's kinda indecipherable.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 30, 2023, 03:39:51 AM
Uhhh what is that a picture of?  It's kinda indecipherable.

Hmm, maybe Buck flying at the camera, maybe on a scramble, with some Esks chasing him?  That's my guess.  A "flying Buck"!
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: DCM on November 30, 2023, 12:44:50 AM
Farhan Lalji

Corey Mace probably fits the "alpha male" role that Trevor Harris wanted as head coach of the Rider - perhaps more so than Buck. I guess Trevor's influence was, at least in part, in this hiring.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 30, 2023, 01:04:35 AM
I only want the best for Buck, and I also know that he deserves better than the Riders. Congrats to everyone involved.
lol nice I agree. Mace HC is a hire I am not impressed with if I am a Rider fan.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!