Riders' Head Coach Vacancy

Started by ModAdmin, November 28, 2023, 03:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: guyinfla89 on November 28, 2023, 06:54:36 PM
Time for Buck to go.  Play calling not always good.  Too much long passing requires extra pocket time resulting in sacks & QB hits.  We need a fresh approach for OC.

Buck was roughly as good as Lapo.  I would love for him to stay.  He's a good fit as our OC, and I think his demeanour will not translate into good HC material.

But I wouldn't say too many deep passes were the problem.  In fact, our deep shots have been reduced ever since Lapo left.  I remember all the deep shots Matty Ice was making in 2019.  Look at the GC: we basically took one deep shot.  If anything, we needed more, and at unexpected times.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:21:38 PM
Killam is being groomed for CGY HC.  That team loves their in-house assembly line.  Killam has been promised things and he'll stay loyal.  (Just my speculation after watching CGY for 15 years.)

Can't really see that. I think Kilam just had his shot and blew it.

Took multiple HC interviews when his name was being bandied about, but was never successful and now his name isn't being thrown out there anymore.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:21:38 PM
Killam is being groomed for CGY HC.  That team loves their in-house assembly line.  Killam has been promised things and he'll stay loyal.  (Just my speculation after watching CGY for 15 years.)

How many years until he gets a chance in CGY?  Its one thing to be loyal, its another to earn STC pay for a decade when you can get an HC gig for double...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 08:25:12 PM
Can't really see that. I think Kilam just had his shot and blew it.

Took multiple HC interviews when his name was being bandied about, but was never successful and now his name isn't being thrown out there anymore.

But that proves my theory.  Everyone knows he's heir apparent to CGY HC because he's now told them, and so nobody tries anymore.  CGY in recent times has had massive coach/coordinator loyalty.  Dickenson The Remaining is failing as HC and everyone knows he should move upstairs, as Huff is getting way too old.

I think Killam is perfect for CGY HC.  He's well liked, respected, has that fire a HC needs, but isn't a hothead, been with the team for a zillion years, etc.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 08:35:37 PM
How many years until he gets a chance in CGY?  Its one thing to be loyal, its another to earn STC pay for a decade when you can get an HC gig for double...

Unless you've been promised the HC job in X years (say X=1 or 2), and (verbally) promised a 5 year term @550k a year... Everyone sees that CGY can't keep going with the status quo.

Or he can take his chance elsewhere and pull a Claybrooks and be one & done and forever the laughing stock... Out of all the teams, CGY seems to command the most loyalty.  Even more than WPG/Mafia.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
But that proves my theory.  Everyone knows he's heir apparent to CGY HC because he's now told them, and so nobody tries anymore.  CGY in recent times has had massive coach/coordinator loyalty.  Dickenson The Remaining is failing as HC and everyone knows he should move upstairs, as Huff is getting way too old.

I think Killam is perfect for CGY HC.  He's well liked, respected, has that fire a HC needs, but isn't a hothead, been with the team for a zillion years, etc.

I think at a certain point, guys miss their window. He's been forgotten about, not intentionally avoided.

He may end up as the Calgary boss if Dickenson decides to do the GMing full time, but I don't think its by intentional design at this point. There's no guarantee Dickenson's going to step down  anytime soon. It's not like he's much older than Kilam is.
My wife is amazing!

Ridermania

Justin Dunk reporting it's Buck to the Riders as new HC.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 08:35:37 PM

Yeah, he's shown that he would leave for the opportunity. He just couldn't make it happen, imo.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: Ridermania on November 28, 2023, 08:43:42 PM

All he said is they're leaning that way. I choose to keep hope alive for as long as possible.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Ridermania on November 28, 2023, 08:43:42 PM

What do you think of the move, Ridermania?  I'll guess Riderville will be very happy.  However, if you guys hated the aww shucks pressers, wait until you have to hear the low-key, low-energy, mumbling ones... (There's a reason the press almost never interviewed Buck on video.)  Not saying he can't do the job; just commenting on his interview skills.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 08:43:16 PM
He may end up as the Calgary boss if Dickenson decides to do the GMing full time, but I don't think its by intentional design at this point. There's no guarantee Dickenson's going to step down  anytime soon. It's not like he's much older than Kilam is.

He's a "losing" coach by CGY standards.  He hasn't led the team to real GC contender status since 2018!!  Every year they seem to get worse.  If this was any other city/team he would have been ousted a couple of seasons ago.

If he's still the coach in 2024 they will achieve roughly the same result.  Killam could bring some much needed new fire and energy, and a different perspective.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:54:50 PM
He's a "losing" coach by CGY standards.  He hasn't led the team to real GC contender status since 2018!!  Every year they seem to get worse.  If this was any other city/team he would have been ousted a couple of seasons ago.

If he's still the coach in 2024 they will achieve roughly the same result.  Killam could bring some much needed new fire and energy, and a different perspective.

These are GM fails, not HC fails.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 09:01:21 PM

Maybe true.  Maybe not.  Maybe half-true.  Watching CGY closely I'd apportion the blame 50/50 HC/GM.  HC has been making terrible in-game decisions for at least 3 seasons now.  And I think the players no longer believe in the system, watching their general demeanour and comparing to 2018/2019.

However, the HC is the most visible figurehead to the lay-fan.  Most casual fans can't name their GM, nor do they know what they do, nor do they care.  It's the guy on the field dealing with a losing product that everyone sees and points the finger at.  How many times was KW seen at IGF or on TSN by the lay-fans this season?  I think zero!?  Hard to pin the public blame on the wizard behind the curtain.

Just look at SSK!!  Their GM was way worse than their HC (also bad), and he survives because if you fire the HC you wash away almost all of the perceived sin.  Only the uber-fans know better.
Never go full Rider!

drahgon

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 09:18:15 PM
Maybe true.  Maybe not.  Maybe half-true.  Watching CGY closely I'd apportion the blame 50/50 HC/GM.  HC has been making terrible in-game decisions for at least 3 seasons now.  And I think the players no longer believe in the system, watching their general demeanour and comparing to 2018/2019.

However, the HC is the most visible figurehead to the lay-fan.  Most casual fans can't name their GM, nor do they know what they do, nor do they care.  It's the guy on the field dealing with a losing product that everyone sees and points the finger at.  How many times was KW seen at IGF or on TSN by the lay-fans this season?  I think zero!?  Hard to pin the public blame on the wizard behind the curtain.

Just look at SSK!!  Their GM was way worse than their HC (also bad), and he survives because if you fire the HC you wash away almost all of the perceived sin.  Only the uber-fans know better.

Thats the same guy in Calgary...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 09:01:21 PM

I give at least 33% on Jake Maier fails, nothing much wrong with the game plan, he just failed to execute, over and over.