Riders' Head Coach Vacancy

Started by ModAdmin, November 28, 2023, 03:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Scott Milanovich is no longer in the mix for the Riders' Head Coach position according to Farhan Lalji.  The position should be filled very soon.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Oh oh... not sure losing Buck is as big a deal as one might think.... if he does go, there are a lot of talented guys out there.  And who wouldn't want to work with MOS and this crew...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Bummer, Milanovich would have been perfect for SSK, and now that hints more at Buck leaving.

I still don't think Buck is HC material, but I guess we'll see.  If he goes to SSK and sucks worse than Craig, which is entirely possible with that goofus of a GM and the ruined culture there, then does he tank the rest of his career... or can he go back to being a OC somewhere?  History shows it can destroy your whole career, or take 5-10 years before someone takes a chance on your toxic brand again.

The problem with hiring a rando OC for WPG is that they won't be steeped in the tried & true Lapo/Buck formula.  That means a whole new formula, which may or may not prove as good.  Our O is great: lots of room to fall down; not much room to improve.

What about this: the only way to keep KW and the ace scouts was to let Buck walk so we can pay the next OC half Buck's salary?  The Mafia wanted more money, and I don't see how else they could have gotten it.  This could hint at promoting an OC from in-house, a really junior guy who'd be happy to take peanuts to get the job.  Do we have someone like that?  The advantage there is they know the Lapo/Buck "way".

And with reduced salary for an OC, no way we can lure Lapo back.  You can even forget about McAdoo or similar.  It would have to be an unproven young dude.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 07:20:58 AM
This could hint at promoting an OC from in-house, a really junior guy who'd be happy to take peanuts to get the job.  Do we have someone like that?  The advantage there is they know the Lapo/Buck "way".

And with reduced salary for an OC, no way we can lure Lapo back.  You can even forget about McAdoo or similar.  It would have to be an unproven young dude.

I was thinking the same. Seems on brand to promote an in-house guy. Costello or Bourgoin.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

According to Lalji, Mace and Pierce are the front-runners for the HC job in Riderville.

If Pierce gets the job, good for him. It'll be a tall order to help turn that team around, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 28, 2023, 01:12:44 PM
According to Lalji, Mace and Pierce are the front-runners for the HC job in Riderville.

If Pierce gets the job, good for him. It'll be a tall order to help turn that team around, IMO.
look at Montreal....they went from dumpster fire last season where practically everyone wrote them off to cancelling a potential "dynasty" by beating us on our fourth consecutive appearance.in the GC.   TO the season before was in complete disarray as well and they turned their season around and won a GC, again at our expense.   

Why not the Riders?    Highly unlikely however this is the Crazy Football League!
Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 28, 2023, 03:43:48 PM
look at Montreal....they went from dumpster fire last season where practically everyone wrote them off to cancelling a potential "dynasty" by beating us on our fourth consecutive appearance.in the GC.   TO the season before was in complete disarray as well and they turned their season around and won a GC, again at our expense.  

Why not the Riders?    Highly unlikely however this is the Crazy Football League!

Not sure I'd call a 9-9 team that finished second in the East last season a dumpster fire.

Not sure I'd call a 9-5 team that finished atop the East in 2021 as being in complete disarray, either.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Buck as HC is an unknown.  But he has more coaching experience that MOS did when he got the gig heading up the Bombers,  And Buck is the same kind of players coach.  So who knows.  I do remember a lot of people questioning him as OC, both from a "one too many hits to the head" standpoint, and from a standpoint of coaching like he played, with no regard for the consequences of his play. 

He has proved many of the naysayers wrong so far.  But there is always the Peter principle, of being promoted to your level of incompetence.

As to who he "takes" with him, if O'Day takes the chance on him, he will expect some assistance in recruiting some key parts, and no doubt, some will take the extra $ to go.  Unlike Lawler regretting the situation he ended up in going to Edm, having Buck as a familiar face will make landing in Riderville easier. 

All that said, I think Mace is a much better option and fit.  I am surprised that Killam is not in the mix, though.  He is far past due his shot.  Or Shivers.

With Walters and company back, I'm not too worried about losing Buck and maybe some players.  It will make the west even more of a dogfight, poor CGY will probably be bottom dwellers again, especially if SSK gets a good new coach.   
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Buck has been Bomber Blue almost contiguously since 2010. It'd be weird to see him in any other colours.
#Ride?

guyinfla89

Time for Buck to go.  Play calling not always good.  Too much long passing requires extra pocket time resulting in sacks & QB hits.  We need a fresh approach for OC.

Pigskin

I am not to worried about replacing Buck. I am pretty sure it wouldn't take much to get Lapo back here, considering his family home is in Manitoba.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: guyinfla89 on November 28, 2023, 06:54:36 PM
Time for Buck to go.  Play calling not always good.  Too much long passing requires extra pocket time resulting in sacks & QB hits.  We need a fresh approach for OC.

Nah. Pierce is being considered for his first ever HC job because the Bombers had the most productive offense in 2023, not to mention amongst the league's best in both 2021 and 2022.

It may be time for him to go - to a promotion. And he has more than earned the opportunity.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

It would be interesting to see what Buck could do in Regina. I have a (totally unproven) theory that offensive coordinators are often more dependent on their personnel than defensive coordinators. A really great defensive mind can scheme their way to effectiveness but a great offensive coordinator still needs an above average QB and offensive line. Hope he doesn't go but if he does I'd rather lose Buck than Richie Hall.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 28, 2023, 03:43:48 PM
look at Montreal....they went from dumpster fire last season where practically everyone wrote them off to cancelling a potential "dynasty" by beating us on our fourth consecutive appearance.in the GC.

I would put most of the credit for MTL's GC appearance & win on their scouts and GM.  They looked horrible on paper in the off-season because they had no big names.  It was all rookies and DPs and nobodies.  They let all their superstars walk.

But then look at all the talent that emerged from those nobodies!  Who gets that kind of scouting efficiency and success??  And the fact they struck gold with all those ELCs meant they had tons of SMS left to late-sign Lemon & Sankey, and likely give players pre-bonuses for next year, assuring they stay strong in FA.  If they can keep this up, they'll beat TOR in W's in 2024, and it'll be a WPG/MTL GC again.

So either their scouts/GM are geniuses or they are the luckiest guys in years!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 04:17:55 PM
I am surprised that Killam is not in the mix, though.  He is far past due his shot.

Killam is being groomed for CGY HC.  That team loves their in-house assembly line.  Killam has been promised things and he'll stay loyal.  (Just my speculation after watching CGY for 15 years.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Buck was roughly as good as Lapo.  I would love for him to stay.  He's a good fit as our OC, and I think his demeanour will not translate into good HC material.

But I wouldn't say too many deep passes were the problem.  In fact, our deep shots have been reduced ever since Lapo left.  I remember all the deep shots Matty Ice was making in 2019.  Look at the GC: we basically took one deep shot.  If anything, we needed more, and at unexpected times.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:21:38 PM
Killam is being groomed for CGY HC.  That team loves their in-house assembly line.  Killam has been promised things and he'll stay loyal.  (Just my speculation after watching CGY for 15 years.)

Can't really see that. I think Kilam just had his shot and blew it.

Took multiple HC interviews when his name was being bandied about, but was never successful and now his name isn't being thrown out there anymore.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:21:38 PM

How many years until he gets a chance in CGY?  Its one thing to be loyal, its another to earn STC pay for a decade when you can get an HC gig for double...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 08:25:12 PM
Can't really see that. I think Kilam just had his shot and blew it.

Took multiple HC interviews when his name was being bandied about, but was never successful and now his name isn't being thrown out there anymore.

But that proves my theory.  Everyone knows he's heir apparent to CGY HC because he's now told them, and so nobody tries anymore.  CGY in recent times has had massive coach/coordinator loyalty.  Dickenson The Remaining is failing as HC and everyone knows he should move upstairs, as Huff is getting way too old.

I think Killam is perfect for CGY HC.  He's well liked, respected, has that fire a HC needs, but isn't a hothead, been with the team for a zillion years, etc.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 08:35:37 PM
How many years until he gets a chance in CGY?  Its one thing to be loyal, its another to earn STC pay for a decade when you can get an HC gig for double...

Unless you've been promised the HC job in X years (say X=1 or 2), and (verbally) promised a 5 year term @550k a year... Everyone sees that CGY can't keep going with the status quo.

Or he can take his chance elsewhere and pull a Claybrooks and be one & done and forever the laughing stock... Out of all the teams, CGY seems to command the most loyalty.  Even more than WPG/Mafia.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
But that proves my theory.  Everyone knows he's heir apparent to CGY HC because he's now told them, and so nobody tries anymore.  CGY in recent times has had massive coach/coordinator loyalty.  Dickenson The Remaining is failing as HC and everyone knows he should move upstairs, as Huff is getting way too old.

I think Killam is perfect for CGY HC.  He's well liked, respected, has that fire a HC needs, but isn't a hothead, been with the team for a zillion years, etc.

I think at a certain point, guys miss their window. He's been forgotten about, not intentionally avoided.

He may end up as the Calgary boss if Dickenson decides to do the GMing full time, but I don't think its by intentional design at this point. There's no guarantee Dickenson's going to step down  anytime soon. It's not like he's much older than Kilam is.
My wife is amazing!

Ridermania

Justin Dunk reporting it's Buck to the Riders as new HC.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 28, 2023, 08:35:37 PM

Yeah, he's shown that he would leave for the opportunity. He just couldn't make it happen, imo.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: Ridermania on November 28, 2023, 08:43:42 PM

All he said is they're leaning that way. I choose to keep hope alive for as long as possible.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Ridermania on November 28, 2023, 08:43:42 PM

What do you think of the move, Ridermania?  I'll guess Riderville will be very happy.  However, if you guys hated the aww shucks pressers, wait until you have to hear the low-key, low-energy, mumbling ones... (There's a reason the press almost never interviewed Buck on video.)  Not saying he can't do the job; just commenting on his interview skills.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 08:43:16 PM
He may end up as the Calgary boss if Dickenson decides to do the GMing full time, but I don't think its by intentional design at this point. There's no guarantee Dickenson's going to step down  anytime soon. It's not like he's much older than Kilam is.

He's a "losing" coach by CGY standards.  He hasn't led the team to real GC contender status since 2018!!  Every year they seem to get worse.  If this was any other city/team he would have been ousted a couple of seasons ago.

If he's still the coach in 2024 they will achieve roughly the same result.  Killam could bring some much needed new fire and energy, and a different perspective.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 08:54:50 PM
He's a "losing" coach by CGY standards.  He hasn't led the team to real GC contender status since 2018!!  Every year they seem to get worse.  If this was any other city/team he would have been ousted a couple of seasons ago.

If he's still the coach in 2024 they will achieve roughly the same result.  Killam could bring some much needed new fire and energy, and a different perspective.

These are GM fails, not HC fails.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 09:01:21 PM

Maybe true.  Maybe not.  Maybe half-true.  Watching CGY closely I'd apportion the blame 50/50 HC/GM.  HC has been making terrible in-game decisions for at least 3 seasons now.  And I think the players no longer believe in the system, watching their general demeanour and comparing to 2018/2019.

However, the HC is the most visible figurehead to the lay-fan.  Most casual fans can't name their GM, nor do they know what they do, nor do they care.  It's the guy on the field dealing with a losing product that everyone sees and points the finger at.  How many times was KW seen at IGF or on TSN by the lay-fans this season?  I think zero!?  Hard to pin the public blame on the wizard behind the curtain.

Just look at SSK!!  Their GM was way worse than their HC (also bad), and he survives because if you fire the HC you wash away almost all of the perceived sin.  Only the uber-fans know better.
Never go full Rider!

drahgon

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 09:18:15 PM
Maybe true.  Maybe not.  Maybe half-true.  Watching CGY closely I'd apportion the blame 50/50 HC/GM.  HC has been making terrible in-game decisions for at least 3 seasons now.  And I think the players no longer believe in the system, watching their general demeanour and comparing to 2018/2019.

However, the HC is the most visible figurehead to the lay-fan.  Most casual fans can't name their GM, nor do they know what they do, nor do they care.  It's the guy on the field dealing with a losing product that everyone sees and points the finger at.  How many times was KW seen at IGF or on TSN by the lay-fans this season?  I think zero!?  Hard to pin the public blame on the wizard behind the curtain.

Just look at SSK!!  Their GM was way worse than their HC (also bad), and he survives because if you fire the HC you wash away almost all of the perceived sin.  Only the uber-fans know better.

Thats the same guy in Calgary...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 28, 2023, 09:01:21 PM

I give at least 33% on Jake Maier fails, nothing much wrong with the game plan, he just failed to execute, over and over.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 28, 2023, 10:04:00 PM
I give at least 33% on Jake Maier fails, nothing much wrong with the game plan, he just failed to execute, over and over.

Which is a GM failure
My wife is amazing!

dd

Jake Maier is not the answer in Calgary, they need to move on from him

Big Daddy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 28, 2023, 09:18:15 PM

I actually saw him on the Bomber sidelines a number of times this season.

Big Daddy

And who exactly would you choose to replace Buck?  As others have said, he's only been at the helm of the most productive offense this year, and has carried on seamlessly since LaPo left, not even a hiccup.

He has definitely earned his opportunity.  I hope for our sake he doesn't take it, and if he does I sure hope he succeeds.  He's a class act all around.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: drahgon on November 28, 2023, 09:48:40 PM
Thats the same guy in Calgary...

Ya I know, but he can be competent at one job (GM) while sucking at the other (HC).  (Not saying he's been a great GM either.)  Besides, I think Huff still has massive input on GM choices / player hiring decisions.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 29, 2023, 03:18:47 AM
I actually saw him on the Bomber sidelines a number of times this season.

That's my point... the average guy up in the stands never sees the GM.  He's not on the jumbotron, he's not giving speeches like WM, he's not on TSN.  The only way you see him is to catch a glimpse in person on the sidelines or watch the 2-4 pressers a year on bb.com.  And that's really only uber-fans.

The face of a team is the HC.  Second to that, the Prez.  Third to that is any coords who like to call from the sideline.  Everyone else is pretty much a ghost to the casual fan.
Never go full Rider!

DCM

Farhan Lalji

Hearing #Riders have agreed to terms with Corey Mace to be their next head coach. The former #Argos DC has won 2 #GreyCups as an assistant. Really a home run hire for Sask. Not sure they could have made a bad choice between their two finalists.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

The Zipp

Quote from: DCM on November 30, 2023, 12:44:50 AM
Farhan Lalji

Hearing #Riders have agreed to terms with Corey Mace to be their next head coach. The former #Argos DC has won 2 #GreyCups as an assistant. Really a home run hire for Sask. Not sure they could have made a bad choice between their two finalists.

Nice.  I don't have to change my profile picture...

Jesse

I only want the best for Buck, and I also know that he deserves better than the Riders. Congrats to everyone involved.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Wha!?  I'm actually shocked.

Mace?  Over Buck?  Maybe it came down to Mace willing to take less $?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

So does that mean Buck staying with WFC is a done deal?  Or might one of the other iffy-HC teams (OTT?) be dialling him up?

If Buck stays here, then my more-money-for-KW theory is completely blown out of the water.  I can't imagine Buck would agree to stay at a discount!!  If Buck stays then that means everyone in the coach cap basically stayed at status quo level.

I guess we wait to see what Buck does.  Was Buck still under contract and simply being permitted to look at a promotion move?  I suppose if that's the case then no promotion move means he's stuck here with the same contract?  In that case WFC wouldn't have to announce anything except "Buck ain't going to be HC for another team".

If he's our OC in 2024 then I guess I must say I'm very please with the outcome of everything.  Keeping The Mafia together and keeping our coords together... can't ask for a better Christmas present than that!
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on November 30, 2023, 12:46:19 AM
Nice.  I don't have to change my profile picture...

Uhhh what is that a picture of?  It's kinda indecipherable.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 30, 2023, 03:39:51 AM
Uhhh what is that a picture of?  It's kinda indecipherable.

Hmm, maybe Buck flying at the camera, maybe on a scramble, with some Esks chasing him?  That's my guess.  A "flying Buck"!
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: DCM on November 30, 2023, 12:44:50 AM
Farhan Lalji

Corey Mace probably fits the "alpha male" role that Trevor Harris wanted as head coach of the Rider - perhaps more so than Buck. I guess Trevor's influence was, at least in part, in this hiring.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 30, 2023, 01:04:35 AM
I only want the best for Buck, and I also know that he deserves better than the Riders. Congrats to everyone involved.
lol nice I agree. Mace HC is a hire I am not impressed with if I am a Rider fan.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ModAdmin

So Michael Ball, the Roughriders "voice" first said today that Mace was "out of the running for the Riders HC job" and then, that "the Bombers have some cash to keep (Buck Pierce) in the fold" and that "Buck is the HC in waiting" for the Bombers. He then deleted the post.  This is the danger in posting rumours.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 30, 2023, 05:45:58 AM
So Michael Ball, the Roughriders "voice" first said today that Mace was "out of the running for the Riders HC job" and then, that "the Bombers have some cash to keep (Buck Pierce) in the fold" and that "Buck is the HC in waiting" for the Bombers. He then deleted the post.  This is the danger in posting rumours.

In fairness, Ballsy is a braindead goof.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Throw Long Bannatyne

According to Ed Tait, Buck pulled himself out of contention.

"Still, as every new opportunity arose, Pierce has also come to further appreciate what he has here in Winnipeg with the Blue Bombers.

And that's why he's decided to remain as the club's offensive coordinator after pulling his name from consideration for the Saskatchewan Roughriders head coaching vacancy this week."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/11/30/ive-always-felt-that-if-youre-happy-doing-what-youre-doing-why-mess-with-it/

ModAdmin

Within the above article there is a video (below) with Buck talking about cancer and how it has affected his family and life.  Well worth watching...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/10/20/buck-pierce-intercept-cancer/

blue_or_die

The man needs a statue outside IGF one day
#Ride?

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 30, 2023, 04:19:23 AM
Hmm, maybe Buck flying at the camera, maybe on a scramble, with some Esks chasing him?  That's my guess.  A "flying Buck"!

Exactly.  Flying right into the camera.  I think it was against Hamilton though. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 30, 2023, 05:49:32 PM
According to Ed Tait, Buck pulled himself out of contention.

"Still, as every new opportunity arose, Pierce has also come to further appreciate what he has here in Winnipeg with the Blue Bombers.

And that's why he's decided to remain as the club's offensive coordinator after pulling his name from consideration for the Saskatchewan Roughriders head coaching vacancy this week."

Wow, if that's true, then did Buck lead SSK on a bit of a wild goose chase?  Take the wine & dine, see what they were offering, but already be leaning "no"?  Was Buck the #1 choice but him bailing forced them to go Mace?  That won't endear Buck to the Riderville faithful.  Might be hard to ever know the truth about any of this.

Buck does fit best here.  He had every chance of crashing & burning as a HC and not getting any CFL job for 5-10 years.  Look at Lapo in his first HC stint (and second).  Maybe Buck gave Lapo a call and he told him the grass isn't always greener...  Be the best OC you can, get a pretty good salary and a nice little bump in pay every year.  Don't have all the headaches of all that HC stuff.  Don't have the weight of the whole team on your shoulders.  Don't take the public blame for everything.

As I said before, and you guys point out with the "alpha male" thing: Buck is soft-spoken.  He doesn't thrive being in front of the cameras every day.  Someone like that would have a hard time in SSK.  Look how bad Craig got pilloried for his awww shucks mealy-mouthed attitude.  SSK needs a Kent Austin or Kavis Reed... or Chris Jones.  Mace might be that guy.  I actually think this pick will turn out ok for SSK... assuming their GM can get his head out of his rump.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 30, 2023, 05:45:58 AM

I for one would love to hear where WPG is getting all this imagined SMS cash to get Buck and KW et al paid...

The "HC in waiting" thing, though, might have some truth to it.  If there is no more money for a raise for Buck, or he has to take a pay cut so KW can earn more, then one thing you can do is have a clear promotion plan in place and make promises for the future.  Especially if MOS has a clear timeframe of when he wants to retire: like after 2025...  Just like I think Killam has received the same promise in CGY.

Soft-spoken Buck may not be great as a SSK HC, but it just might work in WPG!  We're used to our HC not telling us anything anyway.  You don't get more storybook than MOS retiring in 2025 GC glory, and (mostly)always-a-Bomber Buck going from QB to QB coach to OC to.... HC in 2026.

Hey, a man can dream.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

So if Mace is now SSK HC... who gets to be DC of TOR?  Is Young still there??  Does he get promoted?
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 01, 2023, 03:12:14 AM
Wow, if that's true, then did Buck lead SSK on a bit of a wild goose chase?  Take the wine & dine, see what they were offering, but already be leaning "no"?  Was Buck the #1 choice but him bailing forced them to go Mace?  That won't endear Buck to the Riderville faithful.  Might be hard to ever know the truth about any of this.

Buck does fit best here.  He had every chance of crashing & burning as a HC and not getting any CFL job for 5-10 years.  Look at Lapo in his first HC stint (and second).  Maybe Buck gave Lapo a call and he told him the grass isn't always greener...  Be the best OC you can, get a pretty good salary and a nice little bump in pay every year.  Don't have all the headaches of all that HC stuff.  Don't have the weight of the whole team on your shoulders.  Don't take the public blame for everything.

As I said before, and you guys point out with the "alpha male" thing: Buck is soft-spoken.  He doesn't thrive being in front of the cameras every day.  Someone like that would have a hard time in SSK.  Look how bad Craig got pilloried for his awww shucks mealy-mouthed attitude.  SSK needs a Kent Austin or Kavis Reed... or Chris Jones.  Mace might be that guy.  I actually think this pick will turn out ok for SSK... assuming their GM can get his head out of his rump.
Buck likely talked with O'Day and may not have liked what he heard. If he's gonna make a move hes obviously waiting for the right situation

BLUEBOMBER

Glad Mace is with the Riders. I would hate to see us up against Pierce.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 01, 2023, 03:19:42 AM
So if Mace is now SSK HC... who gets to be DC of TOR?  Is Young still there??  Does he get promoted?

There was some talk Jason Shivers would be interviewed.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 01, 2023, 03:12:14 AM

I have to agree, after Dickenson Buck may not have been the best HC to shake up that organization, he comes off as and X and O's guy but does not have a strong personality and would receive much the same criticism as Dickenson if the team underperformed.  I think they made the right choice, but time will tell.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 01, 2023, 06:10:14 PM
There was some talk Jason Shivers would be interviewed.

Well that would be a bit crazy... what is this, an episode of Coach Swappers?  But stranger things have happened...
Never go full Rider!

VictorRomano

"The Buck Stops Here."

Should be a caption on his eventual statue.

GOLDMEMBER

The Mace hire also really hurts the Argos as well.

dd

Toronto has a good defense primarily because they have alot of talent. I think Mace is over rated, much like Claybrooks was (and where is he now??!!.

A Head Coach has got to be a motivator of men. Mace is a quiet, stoic type. I don't think Toronto misses a beat on this one.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 02, 2023, 03:50:54 PM
Toronto has a good defense primarily because they have alot of talent. I think Mace is over rated, much like Claybrooks was (and where is he now??!!.

A Head Coach has got to be a motivator of men. Mace is a quiet, stoic type. I don't think Toronto misses a beat on this one.

Did you watch the Riderville presser with Mace?  JOD basically spelled it out that Mace won the job over Buck because he'll be better in front of the cameras and staff and players and media.

The vibe I got from Mace is he's a "man of the players", "ya bruh" type.  Stoic, maybe, but I don't think he'll be quiet.  He knows from day one he has to do way better on the post-game pressers than Craig did.

I'm not a Mace fan by any means, but he has my support as a rare Canadian HC, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do worse than 2023 Craig.  The league needs a better Riders... not as good as us, but better than 2023.  WPG doesn't want to be the sole club doling out free equalization money to the other 8 teams who are all have-nots (well, except maybe HAM).

As for TOR: I couldn't guess whether or not Mace was the secret sauce.  If they promote from within then the Mace-sauce may continue.  If they get an outsider, then I guess we shall see if the success was Mace or the players/HC.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Toronto has always had a decent defense, my guess is Younger gets a promotion and goes back to the Argos

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on December 03, 2023, 12:19:20 AM
Toronto has always had a decent defense, my guess is Younger gets a promotion and goes back to the Argos
unless he does not wish to leave here. They need a DC but time will tell.

dd

I m sure he?d turn down a promotion to be a DC and to return to the team he used to play for, just so he could stay here. don?t think so

Pete

It could be they have promised him the dc here as halls successor. It seems the last few years it has been 50/50 on his retiring

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on December 03, 2023, 11:16:22 PM
It could be they have promised him the dc here as halls successor. It seems the last few years it has been 50/50 on his retiring

I think if Hall was retiring, he would have announced it by now, so at least one more year.

dd

Ya Richie's not going anywhere, he'll be here next year

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on December 04, 2023, 06:19:31 PM
Ya Richie's not going anywhere, he'll be here next year
I agree quite likely he returns yet again

bluebeard

Quote from: dd on December 03, 2023, 12:19:20 AM

I did not know much about Mace and decided to look up his football background., if anyone is interested.

BC boy, played his college ball at U of Wyoming. 

A second round draft pick of the Bombers coming out of college.  Signed with the Buffalo Bills of the NFL.  Was on the team for 3 seasons but also touching base with Hamilton and Toronto, who had now his playing rights in the CFL.  Traded rights to Calgary and played there for 5 1/2 seasons.  Was injured and retired and went into coaching with the Stamps for 6 years. 

Argos signed  Mace as their DC and stayed with them for 2 years before signing with Sask. as HC.

What I found out is that he is a players coach, outgoing and very passionate about football.  Players fallow him as a coach.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bluebeard on December 06, 2023, 05:45:05 PM
What I found out is that he is a players coach, outgoing and very passionate about football.  Players fallow him as a coach.

He seems to have a little bit of the Claybrooks "ya bruh", casual, players-lingo thing though... I have no idea what the level of that is, though.  I'm sure it's not anywhere near what Claybrooks was (remember him bare belly-rubbing on TV after some big D play while he was HC?).  But it is something to monitor.  (It's probably nothing.)

My main point is that a HC has to be a HC first and foremost, and the good ones usually tuck away that "one of the players" mentality.  How many times has MOS said that he doesn't really go in the locker room, and the players are handling things themselves, and MOS certainly never says "ya bruh".

My gut says Mace will be good in SSK, and it'll be hard to be worse than Craig.  The question will always remain: can JOD assemble a decent roster (doubt it!).
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 07, 2023, 02:33:42 AM
He seems to have a little bit of the Claybrooks "ya bruh", casual, players-lingo thing though... I have no idea what the level of that is, though.  I'm sure it's not anywhere near what Claybrooks was (remember him bare belly-rubbing on TV after some big D play while he was HC?).  But it is something to monitor.  (It's probably nothing.)

My main point is that a HC has to be a HC first and foremost, and the good ones usually tuck away that "one of the players" mentality.  How many times has MOS said that he doesn't really go in the locker room, and the players are handling things themselves, and MOS certainly never says "ya bruh".

My gut says Mace will be good in SSK, and it'll be hard to be worse than Craig.  The question will always remain: can JOD assemble a decent roster (doubt it!).

The players handle things themselves.... now. It doesn't just magically happen and it certainly wasn't that way in O'Shea's first couple years.

Stretch

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 07, 2023, 02:33:42 AM
But it is something to monitor.

First Boudreau, now Mace. Boy...you're going to be doing a lot of monitoring next season.  ;)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on December 07, 2023, 04:35:01 PM
First Boudreau, now Mace. Boy...you're going to be doing a lot of monitoring next season;)

Always am, always am.   ;)

Actually, Boudreau is now off my extreme-monitoring radar for fixing the FG problem.  ;)  He gets a reprieve.  It's the rest of you who are frowning at his coverage problems that need to take up the monitoring!  ;)

If I have to pick something in WPG I'm monitoring next year, it'll be MOS/Buck being more bold.  We've spent too long (basically since the 2019 GC win) playing not to lose.  Time to play to win.  That's the best path to actually reclaiming the cup.
Never go full Rider!