2024 Blue Bombers Free Agency

Started by ModAdmin, November 25, 2023, 03:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 12, 2023, 08:12:01 PM
According to the following John Hodge article, only 5 CFL RB's have signed NFL contracts in recent history and most of them never progressed beyond PR status.  Kory Sheets, William Stanback, Jerome Messam, Lache Seastrunk, and James Butler all took their shot.

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/12/how-realistic-are-canadian-rb-brady-oliveiras-nfl-aspirations/

Not liking Brady's chances and hoping for a quick return.

This whole BO going to try the nfl thing is laughable. Go ahead and try it but you ll find out the hard way you?re too small, too slow and no where near elusive enough to be in the nfl, and hopefully the experience gives him some perspective on where he is in the RB talent pool in the big pond. He won?t even make a PR

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on December 15, 2023, 08:42:11 PM
I don't think we will lose anyone that actually improves our SMS position.  Most of our potentially lost players were great value last year (Schoen, Brown, Oliveria, Houston, Nichols, Kramdi, Walker, etc), and replacing them with an equivalent in freeagency is going to be as tough as re-signing them.

Some will come back with a big raise.  But some we will lose.  We may see some SMS relief if we see some retirements.  And some players on thier last contracts might settle for less to stay.

We are not the only ones needing to sign players that were good value last year, but our recruiting was so successful, we are in a worse situation than most that way.  Lets just hope "next man up" continues.

Walters is going to earn every cent of his new deal.

It would be a shame to lose Walker as the "next man up" ain't ready yet, they dressed Fox so little we have no idea if he's an adequate replacement or just a placeholder.  Another unheralded player I worry about losing is Kramdi, they invested 2 years in his development and he finally advanced to becoming an important Natl. starter on defence.   I think many teams would cherish him as a versatile ratio option and very good ST contributor. It would be such a pity if the first choice he makes is to sign with an Eastern club just to be closer to his family in Montreal.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Looks like the Viking took notice of Evan Holm's great season, if he catches on with the Vikes he'll be living his best dream, being a native of Minnesota.

CFL All-Star, #Bombers DB Evan Holm working out with the Minnesota @Vikings.

Two picks, two sacks, all coming in the second half of his breakout sophomore pro season.
The Minnesota-native turns 26 in April.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 20, 2023, 05:22:43 PM
Looks like the Viking took notice of Evan Holm's great season, if he catches on with the Vikes he'll be living his best dream, being a native of Minnesota.

CFL All-Star, #Bombers DB Evan Holm working out with the Minnesota @Vikings.

Two picks, two sacks, all coming in the second half of his breakout sophomore pro season.
The Minnesota-native turns 26 in April.
it would really suck to lose him!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

The fact that we are losing DB's to the NFL is a testament to our scouts and coaches... I really hope we can retain Younger.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on December 21, 2023, 03:14:11 PM
The fact that we are losing DB's to the NFL is a testament to our scouts and coaches... I really hope we can retain Younger.

I think he's the heir apparent to Hall whenever he decides to retire. Younger will be a fantastic DC, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Pigskin

BA, Houston, Hallett and Exume left to sign. Are the Bombers interested in signing Rose?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on December 21, 2023, 06:31:02 PM
BA, Houston, Hallett and Exume left to sign. Are the Bombers interested in signing Rose?

I wouldn't be shocked if they let Rose walk simply due to numbers - both roster and SMS.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

blue_or_die

The Rose situation reminds me of Chris Randall. Great for a time and then hit a best before date and we let him walk. I could see him also ending up in Ottawa, too.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 21, 2023, 06:32:27 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if they let Rose walk simply due to numbers - both roster and SMS.

TBD, depending on who stays and who leaves, they may lose Holm, Darby and Houston, Lawrence status seems to be in limbo as well, neither on the roster or listed on the FA list.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 21, 2023, 08:27:25 PM
TBD, depending on who stays and who leaves, they may lose Holm, Darby and Houston, Lawrence status seems to be in limbo as well, neither on the roster or listed on the FA list.

Lawrence ended the season on the PR, thus automatically becoming a free agent. You may be right about Rose if we lose Holm to NFL if we are unable to re-sign Houston as well. Doubt we see Darby back in 2024.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

I still can't figure out what went down with Darby.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 22, 2023, 01:08:19 PM
I still can't figure out what went down with Darby.

IMO he was struggling with a lingering injury of some sort. That said he will be hard pressed to be re-signed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2023, 03:25:14 PM
IMO he was struggling with a lingering injury of some sort. That said he will be hard pressed to be re-signed.

If it was injury related, he can be resigned without signing bonuses and come to camp healthy to win a spot.  If it was not injury related, then I can't see him coming back.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 22, 2023, 03:45:30 PM
If it was injury related, he can be resigned without signing bonuses and come to camp healthy to win a spot.  If it was not injury related, then I can't see him coming back.

I brought this up earlier. He finished the season on the IR and would have been a potential free agent at best. However, he is no longer showing on any version of the roster which suggests he was released outright earlier?

I suppose it could be an error in the roster or potential free agent list. He is listed on the potential free agent list but that contradicts the roster list.

IMO he is no longer with the team and free to sign elsewhere at any time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions