2024 Blue Bombers Free Agency

Started by ModAdmin, November 25, 2023, 03:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on December 01, 2023, 03:18:46 PM
I see him more like Arbuckle $130K-230K.

Impossible to predict unless we know if he's being signed as a starter or as a back-up with bonuses built in for starts.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: dd on November 30, 2023, 10:59:43 PM
My thoughts exactly. Sure Zack SHOULD have thrown it to where either Lawler catches it or nobody does, BUT he didn?t, yes the Als player made a great play on the ball but Lawler should have been in there trying to knock the ball away, the same way th Als D pried the ball out of BOs hands. The Als simply made plays where we didn?t and boom game over
A 50-50 ball should go to the guy being paid a helluva lot more than the other. ;-)
Go Bombers!

buckzumhoff

We need a real good kick returner or two anda punter that kicks high like Calgary has. I think we lost alot of yards on punts and kickoffs. We probably had more yardage on offense than any other team be ause we had to move the ball so far

dd

Quote from: J5V on December 01, 2023, 08:38:52 PM
A 50-50 ball should go to the guy being paid a helluva lot more than the other. ;-)
Exactly. Our big time player did not make the big play in the big game. We had better not lose schoen to free agency when he paid that guy big bucks, if someone must go due to cap issues, it would be him

Cool Spot

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 01, 2023, 01:52:49 AM
$432,000 was max. money for Cornelius, hard money was $392,000

Taylor Cornelius got $432k last year? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single other player who was paid so much to deliver so little (based on their output as well as their history).

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Cool Spot on December 02, 2023, 04:45:35 AM
Taylor Cornelius got $432k last year? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single other player who was paid so much to deliver so little (based on their output as well as their history).

Not likely, at most he would have been paid $392,000, because he certainly didn't achirve any bonus benchmarks, but I take your point, he was vastly overpaid.  Somebody in Edmonton must realize by now, Jones is exceptionally terrible with money. 

dd

Quote from: Cool Spot on December 02, 2023, 04:45:35 AM
Absolute crime of the century!!! He's not even a good backup let alone starter. This signing should have cost Jones his job

theaardvark

Jones is not afraid to make questionable decisions.  He took the chance that Corny would pan out, and he'd be a genius for tying him up cheap.  Thing is, looks like Jones as a D guy is not a great judge of O talent.  Remember when he signed an elite WR and tried to turn him into a DB?

Not sure if Corny has a deal still for 2024, but you can bet he's cut or renegotiated before he gets one more $.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sec223

Obviously BO is a great "CFL" back. But if anyone on here watches much NFL he's no where near being an NFL back. He would need to be a lot faster and get juiced up. Bravo for him to try. Why not ? Perhaps just trying to drive up his offers here ?

Jesse

Quote from: Sec223 on December 03, 2023, 10:53:56 AM
Obviously BO is a great "CFL" back. But if anyone on here watches much NFL he's no where near being an NFL back. He would need to be a lot faster and get juiced up. Bravo for him to try. Why not ? Perhaps just trying to drive up his offers here ?

It has obviously been his dream. He went to the Canada Prep Academy and then onto UND with the intention of being drafted in the NFL.

Now he's coming off a 2000 yard season, which there's no guarantee he'll ever hit again. He's hoping the tape can earn a look see somewhere.

That said, he gets tackled from behind by CFL defensemen. The biggest flaw to his game is the one thing he would really need to get a look in the NFL. He won't make special teams or be a returner, or have the flexibility to run out wide.  It is his life and right to take his shot and I wish him the best, but I think his best long-term prospects will bw with the Bombers. Spend a career in Winnipeg setting records will create local options in his post-football career.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on December 03, 2023, 03:31:04 PM
It has obviously been his dream. He went to the Canada Prep Academy and then onto UND with the intention of being drafted in the NFL.

Now he's coming off a 2000 yard season, which there's no guarantee he'll ever hit again. He's hoping the tape can earn a look see somewhere.

That said, he gets tackled from behind by CFL defensemen. The biggest flaw to his game is the one thing he would really need to get a look in the NFL. He won't make special teams or be a returner, or have the flexibility to run out wide.  It is his life and right to take his shot and I wish him the best, but I think his best long-term prospects will bw with the Bombers. Spend a career in Winnipeg setting records will create local options in his post-football career.

Not very many players have the great opportunity to capitalize on their hometown connection like he does, and Brady has done a good job of promoting that advantage through his causes.  If he leaves for a football career elsewhere that stepping stone to a post football career in Wpg. will diminish.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 03, 2023, 06:23:27 PM
Not very many players have the great opportunity to capitalize on their hometown connection like he does, and Brady has done a good job of promoting that advantage through his causes.  If he leaves for a football career elsewhere that stepping stone to a post football career in Wpg. will diminish.

I think the opposite might be true, or at least as likely. 

By having any success in "the show" it will build his rep. 

He will always have a home here, both on the Bombers and in Winnipeg.  I wish him success either way... but obviously the preferred path keeps him here at home, like Jon Cornish has done in Calgary. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on December 04, 2023, 01:04:55 AM
I think the opposite might be true, or at least as likely. 

By having any success in "the show" it will build his rep. 

He will always have a home here, both on the Bombers and in Winnipeg.  I wish him success either way... but obviously the preferred path keeps him here at home, like Jon Cornish has done in Calgary. 

Does kicking around PR lists for 2-3 years constitute success?  Not in my opinion.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 04, 2023, 01:53:06 AM
Doesn't kicking around PR lists for 2-3 years constitute success?  Not in my opinion.

Not in mine, either.

Imagine if Milt stuck on with the Bengals in the 90's after his first couple of seasons. Would anyone remember him? Or Kyries Hebert, he was great for us but then spent the majority of his career  being an NFL teamer before having a second life with the Als. Does he have any opportunities here?

I know Brady's a local kid, but you have to have a local presence in order to capitalize on it.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 04, 2023, 01:53:06 AM
Does kicking around PR lists for 2-3 years constitute success?  Not in my opinion.

PR in the NFL vs. star in the CFL.  BO20 has already done just about all he can do for everything except lifetime numbers, and he could bounce around on NFL PR's for a couple year, come back and still make hall of fame numbers. 

Any player that is satisfied not chasing the "show" is less successful than someone who does.  In My Humble Opinion.  The only way you are getting on an AR in the NFL is by getting on a PR first.  And if he gets onto an AR, gets his games in, gets his NFL pension/benefits, he can come back and finish his career here.  Doug Brown did 3 years chasing the dream, and came back to a 10 year career here.  Brady's a few years older than Doug was when he went south, but no reason he can't do something similar.  Did Doug Brown's time in the NFL hurt his status?