Who is IN Who is OUT 2024?

Started by GOLDMEMBER, November 21, 2023, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

It's not unusual to re-sign some players from the PR for another chance in the next TC. This year the teams seemed to take a different approach by leaving more of them on the 1 game PR in order to retain them sooner / initially.

OTOH, is it telling for those they didn't activate for the last regular season game and were left on the PR.

Obviously that can change at any time and additions or deletions could be made.

Of all those transactions I'm surprised that Hallett was currently left on the PR and is now a free agent. Maruo and Machino now free agents? I ne3ver understood keeping a Global OL in the 1st place but with most of our OL as potential free agents, this would have been a make or break year to actually fight to become a starter.  Maruo has been here since 2021 and wasn't a total bust.

Hansen is a potential free agent and he was ineffective after returning from injury.

That leaves us with Karamoko and Sheehan as the only ones left potentially.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on November 23, 2023, 03:55:13 PM
Even if Zach decided today that he was going to retire two years from now, I can't see Dru waiting around that long.

All of that is true and being asked to take a cut is never an easy sell for a player. I'd like to see Lawler to take a cut as well.

Again it's not a matter of not being worth their salary but SMS across the roster is always an issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 23, 2023, 03:58:15 PM
It's not unusual to re-sign some players from the PR for another chance in the next TC. This year the teams seemed to take a different approach by leaving more of them on the 1 game PR in order to retain them sooner / initially.

OTOH, is it telling for those they didn't activate for the last regular season game and were left on the PR.

Obviously that can change at any time and additions or deletions could be made.

Of all those transactions I'm surprised that Hallett was currently left on the PR and is now a free agent. Maruo and Machino now free agents? I ne3ver understood keeping a Global OL in the 1st place but with most of our OL as potential free agents, this would have been a make or break year to actually fight to become a starter.  Maruo has been here since 2021 and wasn't a total bust.

Hansen is a potential free agent and he was ineffective after returning from injury.

That leaves us with Karamoko and Sheehan as the only ones left potentially.

What happens with all the PR players the Bombers stuffed on the 1 game over the last few weeks?

Alston
Fox
Garbutt
Haba
Karmoko
Kelly
McGhee
Murphy
Richmond
Schmekel

Surely they have to clarify their status and can't protect them all?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 23, 2023, 04:34:38 PM
What happens with all the PR players the Bombers stuffed on the 1 game over the last few weeks?

Alston
Fox
Garbutt
Haba
Karmoko
Kelly
McGhee
Murphy
Richmond
Schmekel

Surely they have to clarify their status and can't protect them all?

Status is clarified by action of putting them the 1 game IR instead of returning them to the PR.

On IR means under contract at the moment and in theory coming to TC.

Now many players on the roster ( including PR ) may be released prior to TC etc etc. We see somewhat of a musical chairs scenario as TC approaches. If we re-sign all our vet DL for example, we may trim some of those that spent most of the year on the PR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 23, 2023, 06:51:43 PM
Status is clarified by action of putting them the 1 game IR instead of returning them to the PR.

On IR means under contract at the moment and in theory coming to TC.

Now many players on the roster ( including PR ) may be released prior to TC etc etc. We see somewhat of a musical chairs scenario as TC approaches. If we re-sign all our vet DL for example, we may trim some of those that spent most of the year on the PR.

I guess with so many free agents the number is kind of irrelevant because it doesn't matter which list they're on if they're not under contract for next season. Of all the players listed on the 1-game, only Rose will be a F.A.

J5V

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 21, 2023, 04:30:12 PM
I'm not sure Collaros is too "old", there are multiple QBs that have been "old" that have had success:
As much as I appreciate everything Zach has done for us, I was not impressed with his play this year. I can't put my finger on it but it seems his decision making and killer instinct aren't what they used to be. It's so hard to tell if if was him, Buck, the scheme, or what, but I wasn't impressed with his overall play.
Go Bombers!

Blue In BC

Quote from: J5V on November 23, 2023, 09:52:08 PM
As much as I appreciate everything Zach has done for us, I was not impressed with his play this year. I can't put my finger on it but it seems his decision making and killer instinct aren't what they used to be. It's so hard to tell if if was him, Buck, the scheme, or what, but I wasn't impressed with his overall play.

The Bomber offence was once again the scoring leader in the CFL. Nearly 100 points more than 7 teams. He had the highest ranked efficiency rating. 2nd highest yardage total and the most TD passes thrown. 2nd highest average yards per reception.

We didn't have Lawler ( or a good replacement ) for 6 games or Schoen for 2 games + play offs.

Our OL was not as effective as in previous seasons. IMO losing Couture was more significant than we thought. That forced some errors we aren't used to.

Play calling went very conservative at times. That's on the coaches.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

buckzumhoff

Very little play action. Receivers lined up 3 wide . No motion. Didn't really confuse the defense. Inside runs were tight . Played too conservative. When bombers were on the road playing BC they went all out on offense.  But collaros has to get his arm able to throw the long ball. Empty the back field only using one running back to block anyway. Put another receiver out there.

Tiger

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 23, 2023, 10:21:45 PM
The Bomber offence was once again the scoring leader in the CFL. Nearly 100 points more than 7 teams. He had the highest ranked efficiency rating. 2nd highest yardage total and the most TD passes thrown. 2nd highest average yards per reception.

We didn't have Lawler ( or a good replacement ) for 6 games or Schoen for 2 games + play offs.

Our OL was not as effective as in previous seasons. IMO losing Couture was more significant than we thought. That forced some errors we aren't used to.

Play calling went very conservative at times. That's on the coaches.

Exactly.  Also I was one of few that was not happy with last GC performance. That  said ......compared to what?

I think there needs to be some reflection by coaches.  While I would be more than happy with the same group next year I think these GC losses were team losses. There were issues accross the board.  Hard to believe with our coaches' focusses and demeanor but there it is.  What is it the coaches dod or did not do?

Further I think what Brady does affects our signings. Will he bounce around NFL on try outs and PR? Bryant has lost a step or but is still better than 80-90% of the other CF OLinemen.  That said if there is not a chance to win at the that age, and he has the finances, he may hang them up. Brady and Bryant are hard to replace and key pieces.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

blue_or_die

TLDR

I think all the notable names return except Brown, Walker, Darby and Rose (for obvious reasons). There might be a few others that seek bigger deals/roles that we simply can't afford, but I believe the is & should be to keep as much of the core intact throughout 2025. Then the mass retirements/exodus occurs and if we can win another cup in that timeframe it will have been well worth it. It all comes down to that home Grey Cup and trying to maximize that opportunity.

Hoping Brady doesn't go south without any interest and sit around waiting for teams to call - what a waste that would be. If there actually is interest, good for him, he deserves it. Otherwise, I agree with the poster that sumised he will get the same deal as Demski.
#Ride?

Jesse

What did Demski get?

3 years x how much?
My wife is amazing!

Ridermania

From what I recall, it was somewhere around $150 plus incentives.

Jesse

Quote from: Ridermania on November 24, 2023, 06:59:04 PM
From what I recall, it was somewhere around $150 plus incentives.

That seems a little light for Oliveria then.

But I would definitely do 3x180. Maybe even back-load the contract so he gets paid more in 2026 when Zach's money is presumably off the books.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 24, 2023, 07:41:47 PM
That seems a little light for Oliveria then.

But I would definitely do 3x180. Maybe even back-load the contract so he gets paid more in 2026 when Zach's money is presumably off the books.

Backloading contracts makes me cringe, usually get diminishing returns, players rarely perform better in their final year.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 24, 2023, 09:11:01 PM
Backloading contracts makes me cringe, it's diminishing returns, players rarely perform better in their final year.

That's an oversimplification, IMO. Oliveira would be 29 in 2026 by the time a three-year deal expires, which is still prime for a tailback.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず