Who is IN Who is OUT 2024?

Started by GOLDMEMBER, November 21, 2023, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: bwiser on November 21, 2023, 04:39:30 PM
I mostly agree with you. I think that Schoen stays and Woli stays. I also think that Oilvera may be using the NFL  to a better deal out of the Bombers. I dont think we will lose Schoen because we will have a lot more cap room if Bryant and Bighill retire as expected. We should be able to pay Olivera as well. I would like to keep Brown if at all possible but I am not sure tht will happen.

There will be an upper limit on what Oliveria can and will get. Generally I expect he's in for a $100K increase which would take him to just under $200K with perhaps some playing incentives. More than that becomes a financial issue IMO.

If he choose to not re-sign a deal early and waits out a chance at the NFL that money gets spent mostly before TC. We don't know how serious he is about the NFL chance but we can understand his desire to try.

Any new money for anyone needs to come from other changes on the roster. That may come from some retirements or decisions to move on from some vets earning a lot of money.

I think we get a better picture of who gets signed before free agency and who doesn't in the early days etc.  We might lose someone like Holms to an NFL offer. Even Nichols could see some interest. Neither are making big CFL money but losing them creates a roster need.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 21, 2023, 04:30:12 PM
I'm not sure Collaros is too "old", there are multiple QBs that have been "old" that have had success:

- Henry Burris won a Grey Cup in 2016 as Ottawa's QB at the age of 41
- Henry Burris won a Grey Cup in 2017 as Toronto's QB at the age of 38
- Damon Allen won a Grey Cup in 2000 as BC's QB at the age of 37, and again as Toronto's QB in 2004 at the age of 41

Then, of course, we have the examples in the NFL of Tom Brady winning multiple Super Bowls in his 40's, and Peyton Manning and John Elway winning in their late 30's. Other NFL QBs have similarly played late into their 30's with success although they haven't necessarily won championships (but still got to playoffs).

So, at least at the QB position, the clock is ticking but it seems to depend a lot on the individual and how they upkeep their training.

Burris never played for the Argos, must mean Rickie Ray?

ModAdmin

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 21, 2023, 04:30:12 PM
I'm not sure Collaros is too "old", there are multiple QBs that have been "old" that have had success:

- Henry Burris won a Grey Cup in 2016 as Ottawa's QB at the age of 41
- Henry Burris won a Grey Cup in 2017 as Toronto's QB at the age of 38
- Damon Allen won a Grey Cup in 2000 as BC's QB at the age of 37, and again as Toronto's QB in 2004 at the age of 41

Then, of course, we have the examples in the NFL of Tom Brady winning multiple Super Bowls in his 40's, and Peyton Manning and John Elway winning in their late 30's. Other NFL QBs have similarly played late into their 30's with success although they haven't necessarily won championships (but still got to playoffs).

So, at least at the QB position, the clock is ticking but it seems to depend a lot on the individual and how they upkeep their training.

Another amazing fact about Henry Burris is that he got younger between 2016 and 2017!  ;D
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 21, 2023, 06:56:49 PM
Another amazing fact about Henry Burris is that he got younger between 2016 and 2017!  ;D

Hank was older than Henry.

Bomber Diehard

Brady isn?t going anywhere plus his age.
Woli I like - plus a Canuck.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2023, 11:59:29 AM
- I still think it's more likely than not that Brady doesn't go anywhere.
- Hardrick will not retire. He's said time and time again they'll have to rip the jersey off his back to get him to stop playing.
- I don't know how we re-sign Schoen
- Woli's another guy who's going no where. We love him,  he loves it here.
- I'm curious if Stan is thinking of hanging them up and I wonder if Neuf maybe would leave with him.

I don't see Neuf. ready to retire yet, he's too engaged and is still playing with a lot of enthusiasm.  I agree with your comment on Hardrick, he'll play as long as they let him but he does have to take his fitness level more seriously and drop some weight. If Stanley doesn't want to retire yet I can see them letting him walk in F.A. just to make room for others and save some cap, at most he's got 2 years left so might as well move on sooner than later.  Question is, if they retain the rest including Richmond, who's going to willingly accept the 6th man role?

Cool Spot

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 21, 2023, 05:43:49 PM
Burris never played for the Argos, must mean Rickie Ray?

Indeed you are correct. Went back and fixed my post's copy/paste error.

Cool Spot

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 21, 2023, 06:56:49 PM

That's a trick I wish I could pull off on a year-to-year basis.

Pigskin

I think the Bombers give Brady the same deal as Demski.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

D

Jefferson in
Jeffcoat in one last hurrah I suppose
Hansen out I think he is done
Haba in
Thomas out retires
Walker in for now
Lawson in
Fox in for now
Schmekel out

Bighill out retires
Clements in
Wilson in
CadaWallader in
Briggs out retires
Gauthier in
Mauro in for now
Cole in
Beeksma out

Alexander out retires
Darby out
Hallett in
Kramdi in
Houston in
Rose out
Nichols in
Holm in
Lawrence out
Parker out
Kelly in
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Coaching

O Shea in
Pierce in
Hall out retires
Boudreau out
Costello in
Stanley in
Younger in

GM

Walters out I have a hunch here
All scouts return

GOLDMEMBER

ST

Sheehan out
Castillo in
Benson out retires

GOLDMEMBER

Forgot a couple

O Leary Orange in
Prukop out

Doublezero

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2023, 11:59:29 AM
- I still think it's more likely than not that Brady doesn't go anywhere.
- Hardrick will not retire. He's said time and time again they'll have to rip the jersey off his back to get him to stop playing.
- I don't know how we re-sign Schoen
- Woli's another guy who's going no where. We love him,  he loves it here.
- I'm curious if Stan is thinking of hanging them up and I wonder if Neuf maybe would leave with him.

Don't think we can assume any player wants to return to Winnipeg just on the basis of good-will, or because they think the club can go to the cup. Those days are now gone. So major changes this off-season. Oliveira really surprised me. I did not think much of him at first and he had fumble-itis. But he really settled in past 2 seasons, carried the club on his back. Thanks to help from the O line. Run blocking really was their strength, pass blocking, not so much. But there will be changes on that O line next year for sure. Yes, Schoen will be tough to re-sign - not sure we can afford him. Man, he paid the price with his body this year, really took a beating - all year long. I could see Woli in Vancouver, he's a west coast kid.
Just gimme the rock.

Pete

on d, we have to get bigger at db position. We have the smallest group in the league
wpg                                         mtrl
Houston  5ft 10     173             Dequoy    6ft 3   200
Parker     5ft 8      188              Ento        6ft1    187
Nichols    5ft 10     180             Evans     5ft 11   195
Holms      5ft 11     182            Ruffin      5ft 10  177
alexander  6ft         192            Sutton     5ft 11  194
Avg          5 FT10    183            Avg          6FT    191   note toronto is even bigger

and Alexander was noticably less physical this year.
Nichols, Holms/ Houston likely stay on but we need to add some size especially when you look at the receivers in the league who seem to average 6 ft 2 or taller. Depending on what happens with Bighill, we also need to look at the size of lbs as well

wilson  215
cole     207
clements  216
if biggie retires we will need to add some size in the middle
To me weren't as physical on defense this year in comparison to previous years