Good,Bad & Ugly

Started by 55StickCar, November 20, 2023, 01:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stats Junkie

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 20, 2023, 10:33:00 PM
The onside kick play call seemed very odd and wasn't even close....
I was in Winnipeg back in June and had the opportunity to attend one practice. The last play of that practice was this onside punt play. Back in June, Jamieson Sheahan delivered a perfect spiral which was caught in stride by a receiver.

For Grey Cup, I had the radio broadcast synced with the game. When Marshall Ferguson mentioned that Sheahan subbed into the game for the final play I knew right away this was the play. Unfortunately, it is much different executing this type of play during game conditions, especially when a defender contacts the kicker during the process. The trajectory, distance and placement of the kick were affected by the pressure/contact by the Alouettes defender.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

Horseman

Quote from: drahgon on November 20, 2023, 10:00:04 PM
I saw that as well, he was tiptoeing just in front of the goal line with no coverage and would've easily been in for a TD.

Yep, ND was wide open and I'm sure ZC must have looked at him, if he would have thrown it to ND, he would have been in for the TD. Instead he tries to go to Lawler and is picked off. The other deciding play was Brady fumbling at the Mtl 20 yard line. IMHO these two plays cost us the game.

dd

Quote from: theaardvark on November 20, 2023, 10:11:41 PM
Does anyone else think that the goal line stand to end the half was a bad thing?

Yes, any points prevented is great, and it was a marvelous display of defence.

But, heading into the locker rooms, WPG is coming off a huge high and take a "We got this" attitude in, while MTL takes a "What the heck just happened?" and "We got to step this up big time if we're going to win"

I'm thinking 17-14 at the half, we make a lot more adjustments, and come out hungry to do better.  17-7 says stay the course...

We are usually dominant in the 4th quarter, and that just didn't show... and it looked like we were trying hard not to lose the lead,rather than keeping the pedal to the metal...

Zach seemed to be underthrowing the ball a lot, especially on the EndZone pick by Ento.  Was there a point where Dru comes in to make those throws, especially the hail Mary?
I know what you're saying, but I was hoping the defensive stand would have pumped up the offense to say thanks for stopping them, we're going to go out and score and put this one away. They didn't.

guyinfla89

INT by Ento, pass should never been thrown.  Offense moving well with Brady & short passes.  Why throw the low pct underthrown rainbow?  Too many questionable play calls, time for new OC?

dd

There's nothing wrong with the corner route to the end zone, but throw it so either Lawler gets it or no one does.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: guyinfla89 on November 21, 2023, 06:57:09 PM
INT by Ento, pass should never been thrown.  Offense moving well with Brady & short passes.  Why throw the low pct underthrown rainbow?  Too many questionable play calls, time for new OC?
The play Zach threw the pick, was an option play to hand the ball off to Brady, but Zach chose to go for the deep end zone fade instead.   Zach admitted in the PG interview, that in that situation he should have handed the ball to Brady.   Both were  costly mistakes that took at least 6 and possibly 14 points off the board in a closely contested game.   Both will be thinking about their mistakes over the long post season.....because they both care deeply about winning....losing is painful
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 21, 2023, 11:16:47 PM
The play Zach threw the pick, was an option play to hand the ball off to Brady, but Zach chose to go for the deep end zone fade instead.   Zach admitted in the PG interview, that in that situation he should have handed the ball to Brady.   Both were  costly mistakes that took at least 6 and possibly 14 points off the board in a closely contested game.   Both will be thinking about their mistakes over the long post season.....because they both care deeply about winning....losing is painful

Yah, how many times have we seen Zach throw interceptions in the endzone or lose the ball inside the redzone and come away with nothing this season?  He's a gunslinger so he tries to make spectacular low percentage completions instead of taking what's given, controlling the ball and throwing quick hitters.  Buck needs to reinstate LaPo's conservative dink-dunk and run offence inside the redzone and cut out the deadly turnovers next season.  Can't have Nichols back but Dru Brown may be the more reliable option inside the 20, even Strev. was less of a risk to turn the ball over.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 22, 2023, 12:12:57 AM
Yah, how many times have we seen Zach throw interceptions in the endzone or lose the ball inside the redzone and come away with nothing this season?  He's a gunslinger so he tries to make spectacular low percentage completions instead of taking what's given, controlling the ball and throwing quick hitters.  Buck needs to reinstate LaPo's conservative dink-dunk and run offence inside the redzone and cut out the deadly turnovers next season.  Can't have Nichols back but Dru Brown may be the more reliable option inside the 20, even Strev. was less of a risk to turn the ball over.
He undeniably has a tendency to go for it all when he doesn't really have to.   Zach admittthat he should have handed the ball off in that situation is a courageous thing to admit given the circumstances and the loss....however there is still time for him to learn this and perhaps moderate his gunslinging ways next season.   Zach still has another Cup in him and I think next season you will see far less end zone or pick sixes coming off the arm of Zach.....hopefully Dru bides his time however the clock is ticking for his own development yet he would be wise to play a his cards close to his chest and hedge his bets by staying another season or two behind Zach....easier for us to say this and Dru will do what's best for him and his career.   
Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

Quote from: guyinfla89 on November 21, 2023, 06:57:09 PM
INT by Ento, pass should never been thrown.

Collaros coughed up a fair amount of INTs like that this past season.

Makes me wonder if that's Pierce's gunslinging mentality seeping into his playbook.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 22, 2023, 01:37:29 PM
Collaros coughed up a fair amount of INTs like that this past season.

Makes me wonder if that's Pierce's gunslinging mentality seeping into his playbook.

Buck is feeding Zach what he likes to execute, no doubt he doesn't hold him back from making riskier plays..

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 22, 2023, 04:58:09 PM
Buck is feeding Zach what he likes to execute, no doubt he doesn't hold him back from making riskier plays..

And that's okay; Collaros has been immensely successful with Pierce as his OC.

I just can't understand making some of those high risk passes, especially in the red zone.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Great analysis of how the Als negated the pass rush by Marshall Ferguson, it's on X (twitter).

Marshall Ferguson
TSN_Marsh
23h
The
MTLAlouettes

greatest success Sunday: Finding a way to not let Jefferson & Jeffcoat ruin their #GreyCup.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1727069337050103986

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 22, 2023, 07:12:33 PM
Great analysis of how the Als negated the pass rush by Marshall Ferguson, it's on X (twitter).

Marshall Ferguson
TSN_Marsh
23h
The
MTLAlouettes

greatest success Sunday: Finding a way to not let Jefferson & Jeffcoat ruin their #GreyCup.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1727069337050103986
It worked to perfection....shows to go ya.....you don't need to throw those deep fades to the end zone corners to be successful.    Zach has a penchant for doing this on first down in the Red Zone and he's quite often  successful, however when he's not it's too often a pick,  which is just a huge momentum killer.   He really needs to dial down this tendency next season especially when your running game has been successful.   On the end zone pick he threw, he admitted that it was an option play to either hand off to Brady or throw...unfortunately he locked in on Kenny whilst Demski was wide open on the goal line.   He also admitted that on that play, he should have handed the ball to Brady.  It was a brilliant read by the defender and an outstanding leaping pick because Lawler WAS open.   Two inches higher and Kenny likely makes a similar backwards leaping and twisting catch.....for the TD.

Zach has all season to reflect on that throw and it remains to be seen if he will learn from it.....I'm thinking he will because he is such a smart QB.   
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 23, 2023, 02:11:21 AM
It worked to perfection....shows to go ya.....you don't need to throw those deep fades to the end zone corners to be successful.    Zach has a penchant for doing this on first down in the Red Zone and he's quite often  successful, however when he's not it's too often a pick,  which is just a huge momentum killer.   He really needs to dial down this tendency next season especially when your running game has been successful.   On the end zone pick he threw, he admitted that it was an option play to either hand off to Brady or throw...unfortunately he locked in on Kenny whilst Demski was wide open on the goal line.   He also admitted that on that play, he should have handed the ball to Brady.  It was a brilliant read by the defender and an outstanding leaping pick because Lawler WAS open.   Two inches higher and Kenny likely makes a similar backwards leaping and twisting catch.....for the TD.

Zach has all season to reflect on that throw and it remains to be seen if he will learn from it.....I'm thinking he will because he is such a smart QB.   

It's sad but Fajardo threw those quick outs behind the LOS all game long to nullify Jeffcoat and Jefferson.  Where were Richie Hall's adjustments?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 23, 2023, 02:59:57 AM
It's sad but Fajardo threw those quick outs behind the LOS all game long to nullify Jeffcoat and Jefferson.  Where were Richie Hall's adjustments?

He forgot them in Winnipeg it would seem.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず