General Manager Kyle Walters Hoping to Remain with Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Started by blue_gold_84, November 15, 2023, 08:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

https://www.chrisd.ca/2023/11/15/kyle-walters-winnipeg-blue-bombers-contract-grey-cup/

A pretty good read. Not sure that it sheds any new light on the situation, though.

I would have to imagine this all gets sorted out shortly after the 2023 post-season wraps up; Walters, McManus, and Goveia are all on expiring contracts.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blueforlife

Sometimes you need a fresh start

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 15, 2023, 08:29:32 PM
https://www.chrisd.ca/2023/11/15/kyle-walters-winnipeg-blue-bombers-contract-grey-cup/

A pretty good read. Not sure that it sheds any new light on the situation, though.

I would have to imagine this all gets sorted out shortly after the 2023 post-season wraps up; Walters, McManus, and Goveia are all on expiring contracts.

Walters has done an excellent job of maintaining team continuity through the years, I believe there are 24 players still here from the 2019 GC Championship team, which is remarkable.

TecnoGenius

The GC Head Coches' Conference video has MOS saying he expects KW to be his GM and MOS to be the HC, with no plans for MOS to be the GM.  Of course his mostly non-answers "your guess is as good as mine" aren't terribly useful, but it's still a hint.

I expect the status quo for 2024.  Worst case is we lose one of the lesser coordinators or scout.  SSK pipe dream of stealing Buck is just that, a pipe dream.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Not sure what he was waiting on last off-season.  It's not like they can offer him more money with the silly coach SMS.  The only way to slot more for KW is if they claw it away from someone else.  And nearly everyone there will be wanting and deserving a raise, especially if when they win the GC.

I guess he can try to leverage more guaranteed contract length instead of $$.  Or maybe promises of being future Pres.  If I'm KW I'm thinking get them to lock in for 3-4 years so even if it all goes downhill I still get paid.

Surely the coach SMS will increase by some amount this year to cover the rampant inflation.  $400-$500k is the new $300k.  KW could write in a clause that he gets X% of every cap increase.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 15, 2023, 09:03:50 PM
Walters has done an excellent job of maintaining team continuity through the years, I believe there are 24 players still here from the 2019 GC Championship team, which is remarkable.

The most proficient GM in the league for a good while now - in every metric.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TBURGESS

I hope we keep Walters. He's the #1 reason we're where we are IMO.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

There is no worldly reason not to keep Walters, O'Shea and Miller under contract forever.  Give them all deals to the end of 2028...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2023, 06:19:48 PM
There is no worldly reason not to keep Walters, O'Shea and Miller under contract forever.  Give them all deals to the end of 2028...

The only reason is that Walters deserves to be paid and there is currently less of the pie available to him.

So either the cap raises slightly next year (is this possible?), Walters takes a pay cut (unfair), or we drop a guy like Danny Mac to give Walters the difference.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Trying to read in between the lines here. I thought earlier this season it might be O'Shea trying to get more money with a dual role but perhaps it was more Walters wanting more money for himself all along. Interesting politics going on regardless. Can't be easy fitting O'Shea, Walters, Pierce and Hall into the operations cap and still have money for the other positional coaches and things.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 16, 2023, 08:01:26 PM
Trying to read in between the lines here. I thought earlier this season it might be O'Shea trying to get more money with a dual role but perhaps it was more Walters wanting more money for himself all along. Interesting politics going on regardless. Can't be easy fitting O'Shea, Walters, Pierce and Hall into the operations cap and still have money for the other positional coaches and things.

Ya, but they all know the SMS limitations... they deal with it every day.  The only way someone is going to make much more $$ is if they take on dual-role.  I'm nearly positive MOS doesn't want GM/HC dual role.  Can someone like KW be GM+Prez?  I'm not really sure what the Prez does all day anyhow, but it must be something, I guess.

If Danny Mac or someone similar left they could potentially pay a young up'n'comer promotion much less and hog the SMS for themselves... but that strikes me as not a winning strategy.

But again, where are they going to get more for a lateral move??  Only taking on 2 roles can get you more.  And the 2-role people seem to not be having as much success.  So KW can only ask for something that is actually possible.  Weird situation.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 16, 2023, 08:24:44 PM
Ya, but they all know the SMS limitations... they deal with it every day.  The only way someone is going to make much more $$ is if they take on dual-role.  I'm nearly positive MOS doesn't want GM/HC dual role.  Can someone like KW be GM+Prez?  I'm not really sure what the Prez does all day anyhow, but it must be something, I guess.

If Danny Mac or someone similar left they could potentially pay a young up'n'comer promotion much less and hog the SMS for themselves... but that strikes me as not a winning strategy.

But again, where are they going to get more for a lateral move??  Only taking on 2 roles can get you more.  And the 2-role people seem to not be having as much success.  So KW can only ask for something that is actually possible.  Weird situation.

You can always ask for a bigger slice of pie. It's also possible Miller intentionally is trying to stagger the contracts so they aren't negotiated and expire at the same time. You really wouldn't want both to leave at the same time.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 16, 2023, 08:01:26 PM

It's a bit weird it was Wade dealing with O'Shea's contract last season as that's usually the job of the GM.  If Walters had negotiated the contract they may have come to the realization that they both wanted to continue with the club and they'd have to agree to split the pot equitably, instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul.  With no increase in the coaching cap, they'll have to rely on someone moving on to find extra change to up Walters.

Richie Hall is 63, but coordinators don't make all that much, so I can't see him retiring yet unless he wants to make a drastic lifestyle change.

Pierce will move on eventually but with his family situation, he may not be ready to take that leap yet. Even if he left, there's no one on the staff that could replace him, and they'd have to pay market price for a new O.C. ie. LaPo.

Boudreau is a possible move, but not sure O'Shea would push him out unless he had a better opportunity lined up elsewhere. Mike Miller could be a cheaper option.

Doublezero

Just my opinion, but the situation this year with Walters has been downright weird. He's been sooo low profile. And "I want to stay in Winnipeg" is the pro forma thing for him to say right now. It means nothing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we learn in the next couple of weeks that he's going back to S. Ont where he's from. There's been speculation he will end up as GM in Hamilton with Scott Milanovich as Head Coach. Where there leaves Hammy's ***'t GM Drew Allemang, who knows? Could see Dru Brown going over there too if Ham wins the bidding war for his services. Milanovich could end up as HC in either Ham or Sask, though - as could Buck Pierce. None of this happens of course until after Bombers clobber the Alouettes on Sunday.
Just gimme the rock.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Doublezero on November 17, 2023, 02:28:41 AM
Just my opinion, but the situation this year with Walters has been downright weird. He's been sooo low profile. And "I want to stay in Winnipeg" is the pro forma thing for him to say right now. It means nothing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we learn in the next couple of weeks that he's going back to S. Ont where he's from. There's been speculation he will end up as GM in Hamilton with Scott Milanovich as Head Coach. Where there leaves Hammy's ***'t GM Drew Allemang, who knows? Could see Dru Brown going over there too if Ham wins the bidding war for his services. Milanovich could end up as HC in either Ham or Sask, though - as could Buck Pierce. None of this happens of course until after Bombers clobber the Alouettes on Sunday.
Holy speculation Batman! ;D

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 16, 2023, 08:33:03 PM
Pierce will move on eventually but with his family situation, he may not be ready to take that leap yet. Even if he left, there's no one on the staff that could replace him, and they'd have to pay market price for a new O.C. ie. LaPo.

SSK doesn't want Lapo.  I don't think anyone wants Lapo.  But we'd want Lapo if Buck left, as I don't think there's anyone else ready to promote.  Lapo would fit right back in, as the Buck O is really just a variation of the Lapo O anyhow.

As for $$, Lapo would come uber cheap because his only other option right now is (less than) part time appearances on TSN, which I'm sure don't pay a heck of a lot.

But I think it's all moot as Buck won't leave.  He's not HC material for various personality trait reasons.  I'm pretty sure we roll into 2024 wtih KW/MOS/Buck/Hall.  Who would want to break up this dream team at this juncture??
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 17, 2023, 05:59:46 AM
SSK doesn't want Lapo.  I don't think anyone wants Lapo.  But we'd want Lapo if Buck left, as I don't think there's anyone else ready to promote.  Lapo would fit right back in, as the Buck O is really just a variation of the Lapo O anyhow.

As for $$, Lapo would come uber cheap because his only other option right now is (less than) part time appearances on TSN, which I'm sure don't pay a heck of a lot.

But I think it's all moot as Buck won't leave.  He's not HC material for various personality trait reasons.  I'm pretty sure we roll into 2024 wtih KW/MOS/Buck/Hall.  Who would want to break up this dream team at this juncture??
No thanks I would take a pass on Lapo. I found his methods to dunk and dunk style. To conservative. I think he ran his course here for good.

GOLDMEMBER

All other CFL GM spots are filled. He will not be in Hamilton for unless they fire their current GM which I doubt with the coaching cap situation. Either he stays or is not in the league next year.

ModAdmin

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 17, 2023, 03:40:41 PM
All other CFL GM spots are filled. He will not be in Hamilton for bless they fire their current GM which I doubt with the coaching cap situation. Either he stays or is not in the league next year.

There could be an opening in Edmonton.  Rick LeLacheur is currently the interim president of the Elks.  Will they be looking for a permanent president?
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BLUEBOMBER

Every year the coaching and management carousel spins..  I can see Saskatchewan going all out to get themselves a HC.. then HC gets the QB they want (need). Can I imagine Milanovich and Mitchell in green?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 17, 2023, 03:48:36 PM
There could be an opening in Edmonton.  Rick LeLacheur is currently the interim president of the Elks.  Will they be looking for a permanent president?
Well if Walters wants to go there. :D

theaardvark

If we lose Walters because of this stupid $SMS, then that's a tragedy.

Here's an idea. 

If you get one "oopsie" in a forgiveable payout to a fired front office staffer, then fire someone, like OShea.  Take the "oopsie", hire him back at a fraction of his original contract (after all, he just got fired, how good can he be ;) ) and then use the savings to pay Walters. 

There has to be some workaround to keep teams consistent and competitive.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

I can't believe the office SMS wasn't increased this year!?  Uh, inflation, CFL?
Never go full Rider!