Biggie's GC Role

Started by TecnoGenius, November 14, 2023, 04:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

Quote from: dd on December 12, 2023, 10:58:39 PM
That means a lot coming from someone who?s never played the game before. And it?s not a new concept, I was introduced to it in 1975, you and likely your dad wasn?t even born yet

I think he was genuinely was thanking you.

No need to be so snippy. We get it, you played football and have been alive for a long time.
#Ride?

dd

Quote from: blue_or_die on December 13, 2023, 05:58:50 PM
I think he was genuinely was thanking you.

No need to be so snippy. We get it, you played football and have been alive for a long time.
No, Saying the mike and Mack is a new concept was an insult, it?s like I made it up, rather it?s been around since the turn of time. I know the difference between being sincere and being condescending.

Jesse

Quote from: dd on December 14, 2023, 02:25:46 AM
No, Saying the mike and Mack is a new concept was an insult, it?s like I made it up, rather it?s been around since the turn of time. I know the difference between being sincere and being condescending.

Dude, he was thanking you for explain a concept that was new to him.

And, frankly, he was being too polite, because your insistence that these terms you learned in the 70's are still applied in the same way seems unrealistic to me.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bluebeard

Cracks are starting to show.  This is what is bothering me, all at once we get old together on the field, and we fail to win many games.  While other teams are down, should we not be playing the backups to see if they belong on the field?  We have to get younger at some point.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bluebeard on December 14, 2023, 02:12:02 PM
Cracks are starting to show.  This is what is bothering me, all at once we get old together on the field, and we fail to win many games.  While other teams are down, should we not be playing the backups to see if they belong on the field?  We have to get younger at some point.

Half the players on the field for the last game against the Stamps were backups and they kicked their butts 36-13, so they got a good look at everyone they wanted to.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on December 14, 2023, 11:47:16 AM
Dude, he was thanking you for explain a concept that was new to him.

And, frankly, he was being too polite, because your insistence that these terms you learned in the 70's are still applied in the same way seems unrealistic to me.

Quote from: dd on December 14, 2023, 02:25:46 AM

Yes, clearly I meant the concept was new to me and possibly many other forum members.  Clearly I didn't mean it was new in general because I laid out how I did a bit of research and found lots of articles outlining the differences.  If the concept was new in general, clearly there wouldn't be a lot of old articles to read about it.

Some posters forget what it was like to be a new fan on the forum, and new to football in general.  They seem to not want to teach anyone, but instead want to hoard the knowledge and act aloof, or even hostile when people ask questions.

I remember when I was new on the forum 8 years ago, and new to the lingo of football.  It was like going into French immersion for the first time... just trying to stay above water and pick up what one can.  I consider my football knowledge to have come a long way since then, and all thanks to the forum and the myriad people who were happy to answer my noobie questions.  Only sometimes were my questions met with hostility.  I never really understood why wanting to learn more gets some people angry.

Along the way I went from going to a couple of games a year to having STH for me and my son, and even going off to all the WPG post-season games.  It would seem to be the ideal progression that we would want for anyone new to the forum.  The opposite is instantly turning new people off to the forum when they see people being attacked for not knowing "enough" or asking for details about a concept that is new to them.

I guarantee you that if I didn't, after all this time on the forum, know about the difference between Mike and Mack, then many members also do not.  If I don't know it, then it was not talked about on this forum in my 8 years, because I read every post, and TSN has never talked about it either, because I watch every second of every CFL broadcast.  And since I don't watch NFL or college ball or played at a mid or high level, how on earth would I have learned it?

Anyone can go back a few posts to see what transpired.  Read my post "2023-12-10 20:15:03" that contains nothing "condescending" at all, but instead lists what I gathered from research and honestly asks for some help applying it to the CFL game and squaring it with my existing knowledge, from anyone who was familiar with the concepts.  And all I got was:

QuoteThe difference between a Mike and Mack is lost on you but there is a difference, not going to argue, couldn?t care

Forget about me, how is this helpful to anyone or good for welcoming new fans?  What did anyone gain?  Is anyone who doesn't know Mike/Mack any wiser?  It's worse than not replying at all, because you're attacking the act of asking questions.  And questions are a major part of why fan forums exist.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

There is a wide variety of fans on every forum and social media outlet.  There is space here for everyone.  We have new and old fans and everyone in between.

We should be able to to get along and allow for the differences.  Most here do and we are grateful for that.  If you think you know it all, I can assure you there are people here who know more than you do.

Let's be aware of different levels of knowledge and experience and help others to understand the best game in Canada right now.  The off season can be testy at times but let's remember we are all pulling for the same team and league.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

I found this useful...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker

Middle linebacker

The middle or inside linebacker (MLB or ILB), sometimes called the "Mike" or "Mac",[15] is often referred to as the "quarterback of the defense".[16] Often it is the middle linebacker who receives the defensive play calls from the sideline and relays that play to the rest of the team, and in the NFL he is usually the defensive player with the electronic sideline communicator. A jack-of-all-trades, the middle linebacker can be asked to blitz (though they often blitz less than the outside linebacker), cover, spy the quarterback, or even have a deep middle-of-the-field responsibility in the Tampa 2 defense. In standard defenses, middle linebackers commonly lead the team in tackles. The terms middle and inside linebacker are often used interchangeably;[17] they are also used to distinguish between a single middle linebacker playing in a 4?3 defense, and two inside linebackers playing in a 3?4 defense.[18] In a 3?4 defense, the larger, more run-stopping-oriented linebacker is usually still called "Mike", while the smaller, more pass protection/route coverage-oriented player is called "Will".[19] "Mikes" usually line up towards the strong side or on the side the offense is more likely to run on (based on personnel matchups) while "Wills" may line up on the other side or even a little farther back between the defensive line and the secondary.[19]

But no one trusts Wikipedia.... so here is a Boston Globe column

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2012/09/08/how-sam-mike-and-will-became-football-positions/URHq2XoAdviKJYZLQfbKNK/story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%934_defense

Now, in a 4-4 defense, Wiki uses other names...

Inside linebackers

There are two inside linebackers in the 4?4 scheme sometimes known as the Mike and Buck linebackers. Where and how they play, and personnel types preferred, are highly scheme dependent. At least one of these linebackers assumes substantial pass coverage responsibilities.[10]

10 minutes with google and cut and paste...  who would have thought that the second middle linebacker would be called Buck...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.