2023 Player/Coach Awards

Started by Tiger, November 14, 2023, 04:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

TSN does a fine enough job. Especially considering the viewership. They're trying to make money like anyone else. Are we expecting MNF technology and announcers?

Bluehawk

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 15, 2023, 04:51:04 PM
TSN does a fine enough job. Especially considering the viewership. They're trying to make money like anyone else. Are we expecting MNF technology and announcers?
Seriously?
What planet you fall off of??
Just expecting the awards ceremony to be televised...not a big ask.
I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Seriously?
Agreed.....
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

THE CFL i daresay is a Canadian National event and was once covered by our National Broadcaster on CBC Sports.....they did a great job!    Once you've actually been to a Grey Cup (for me it was only once in 2019) you understand the magnitude of the nationwide event.    It brings Canadians together from coast to coast to coast....literally.    Yet TSN has relegated the CFL to low status when it comes to promoting this great Canadian league of ours.    Hell, I met people from the US in Calgary in 2019 who prefer the Grey Cup to the Super bowl! 
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Seriously?

I mean it kind of is. Broadcasting anything live is very expensive, for one. It would require a bunch of camera guys, sound engineers, production truck, director/producers, TV worthy hosts to pay, Tons of prep and production time because you can't just show the stage for an hour or two. You need highlights and special interest stories and probably a band or two. And all the extra costs for the event itself to coordinate timing of commercials and breaks. The venue probably needs TV production lighting which is wouldn't likely have. And after all that you need to market it so more than die-hard CFLers watch it because that audience isn't big enough. Don't forget you're up against the NHL (Canadians, Flames, Canucks and Sens are all in action tomorrow). You've got a the best TNF game on the schedule also going on tomorrow (terrible timing).

It's easy to complain. It's hard to look at the reality and do better.

Stretch

Have we determined how long it has been since the awards show was broadcast live? It seems like it has been a while (guessing at least 10 years).
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 15, 2023, 06:03:36 PM
I mean it kind of is. Broadcasting anything live is very expensive, for one. It would require a bunch of camera guys, sound engineers, production truck, director/producers, TV worthy hosts to pay, Tons of prep and production time because you can't just show the stage for an hour or two. You need highlights and special interest stories and probably a band or two. And all the extra costs for the event itself to coordinate timing of commercials and breaks. The venue probably needs TV production lighting which is wouldn't likely have. And after all that you need to market it so more than die-hard CFLers watch it because that audience isn't big enough. Don't forget you're up against the NHL (Canadians, Flames, Canucks and Sens are all in action tomorrow). You've got a the best TNF game on the schedule also going on tomorrow (terrible timing).

It's easy to complain. It's hard to look at the reality and do better.

Have to agree with this viewpoint, if there was a popular demand for it, the awards show would be televised, can't always have our cake and eat it too.  For those who want to watch the live stream it will probably be available on CFL+ with little to no production added, for those who value their time, the video highlights shown after will summarize everything worth watching.

Bluehawk

Pure speculation but wondering if the Argos had advanced to the cup, would the TSN execs found space on their 5 channels to broadcast the event?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 06:51:37 PM
Pure speculation but wondering if the Argos had advanced to the cup, would the TSN execs found space on their 5 channels to broadcast the event?

Nah.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Jesse

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 06:51:37 PM

Not speculation at all. Toronto was in it last year and they still didn?t, iirc.
My wife is amazing!

Bluehawk

Very true, didn't even think about that....Have a few business friends in the Toronto area have told me that CFL football is very low on the totem pole there.
As mentioned earlier, if the viewership numbers were there, the broadcast would happen.

Jesse

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 07:24:08 PM
Very true, didn't even think about that....Have a few business friends in the Toronto area have told me that CFL football is very low on the totem pole there.
As mentioned earlier, if the viewership numbers were there, the broadcast would happen.

That's a bit of a chicken/egg argument. Gotta invest in a product to make it grow.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 15, 2023, 06:40:18 PM
Have to agree with this viewpoint, if there was a popular demand for it, the awards show would be televised, can't always have our cake and eat it too.  For those who want to watch the live stream it will probably be available on CFL+ with little to no production added, for those who value their time, the video highlights shown after will summarize everything worth watching.

It's already being recorded, clearly.  Maybe not by TSN, maybe only by the CFL.  But it's already recorded.  That solves the "pay someone to record it" problem.

It's recorded well enough to "broadcast" on streaming and youtube.  It's good enough for people who want to watch to watch.  That solves the "needs lights, production" problems.

Show it after the fact a few hours later.  That solves the need to show it live.  If the CFL streaming can do it, TSN can do it.

Slap in a couple of normal CFL advertiser ads, put it on TSN4 showing the black screen or the 3rd copy of the same event, boom you have a finished product people will watch and PVR at basically no cost (the post-production crew is already salaried).  With the ads you at least break even.  More importantly, you're filling that useless waste of broadcasting space with something new.

How can you not do it?  Boggles the mind.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

I didn't even mind. I just streamed it to the tv last year. I forgot it wasn't even on a normal channel.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 15, 2023, 10:38:10 PM
It's already being recorded, clearly.  Maybe not by TSN, maybe only by the CFL.  But it's already recorded.  That solves the "pay someone to record it" problem.

Perhaps not. Might need to be filmed/recorded by unionized TSN employees in order to air. That?s totally me talking out of my butt, but might be another barrier.
My wife is amazing!