2023 Player/Coach Awards

Started by Tiger, November 14, 2023, 04:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

So we get to have a NHL or NFL game on 2-3 channels again? Then sports centre on another channel. 

TSN is the leading sports network in Canada but not doing the CFL much good. Again not happy.  Perhaps CFL should contract this, combine, draft to other media or stream and sell advertising.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

One of the other threads had this

Head Coaches' Press Conference - Tuesday, November 14 @ 8:00 a.m. ET
    CFL Awards - Thursday, November 16 @ 6:00 p.m. ET
    State of the League - Friday, November 17 @ 10:00 a.m. ET
    Coaches' and Players' Post-Practice Media - Saturday November 18 @ TBD
    Coaches' Grey Cup Pre-Game Media - Sunday, November 19 @ TBD
    Grey Cup Post-Game Media - Sunday, November 19 @ TBD

Would this not imply these are going to be televised?  Or maybe they meant they'll be on the TSN streaming sites?  Surely they must at least be on streaming.  When someone figures out, let us know.

TSN is norotiously bad for not properly utilizing their slew of channels.  Just the same thing on 3 or 4 of them and ignoring important CFL stuff.  Blah.  I still think they should pick one of the less-used channels and designate it the "CFL TSN Channel" and it gets all the non-game/lesser-known CFL content.  I mean, why not?  Their guys are already there filming it.  The money is sunk.  Show it to the public and sell some ad space!
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

IIRC, the awards show was streamed online last year. I think I watched in on Youtube.

This year, it looks like CFL+ will be streaming all the weekly events for GC110: https://www.cfl.ca/plus/

GREY CUP WEEK
Watch LIVE during Grey Cup Week! You can stay up to date throughout Grey Cup Week and watch all marquee events as well as media availabilities with players and coaches. All streams are available to our Canadian, U.S., and International audiences!

Events to stream:
State of the League - Tuesday, November 14 @ 9:15 a.m. ET

CFL+ is free to use; you just have to log in first.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 14, 2023, 01:31:09 PM
IIRC, the awards show was streamed online last year. I think I watched in on Youtube.

This year, it looks like CFL+ will be streaming all the weekly events for GC110: https://www.cfl.ca/plus/

GREY CUP WEEK
Watch LIVE during Grey Cup Week! You can stay up to date throughout Grey Cup Week and watch all marquee events as well as media availabilities with players and coaches. All streams are available to our Canadian, U.S., and International audiences!

Events to stream:
State of the League - Tuesday, November 14 @ 9:15 a.m. ET

CFL+ is free to use; you just have to log in first.

Thanks, it appears to be a live link, so this will be the place to watch all CFL events in Hamilton this week.

https://www.cfl.ca/plus/

Funny, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with TSN.

Throw Long Bannatyne

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2023, 04:21:38 PM
...it doesn't appear to have anything to do with TSN.

Because it doesn't. TSN seems perfectly fine with doing the absolute bare minimum regarding its involvement with the CFL.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Tiger

Thank you all for the links.
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2023, 04:35:15 PM
Tape of Ambrosie's State of the League address.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/11/14/110th-grey-cup-media-state-of-the-league/

According to Ambrosie the league is spinning in a positive direction on many fronts, so that's encouraging. 

The Atlantic Canada expansion is still in active discussion with a prominent individual, but it's to the point of fish or cut bait on that location. 

No mention at all of the Global program and whether progress is being made, or whether it will be soon be discontinued. 

The coaching cap will stay, as the league is satisfied with how it's helped control team spending on management salaries at the behest of the CFLPA.

55StickCar

And probably at least 3 of the 5 will have regional hockey blackouts.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 14, 2023, 04:42:09 PM
Because it doesn't. TSN seems perfectly fine with doing the absolute bare minimum regarding its involvement with the CFL.
This is why I detest TSN.....especially when it comes to football and the CFL.    I deleted their app from my phone and IPad.....I listen to Bomber games via CJOB radio.....I get to watch the game replays via waders27.    I will break down and watch the broadcast of the GC with a bunch of buds who always have a GC party at the friendship hall where we watch it on a big screen.....that's the ONLY exception.    I mean CBC sports used to cover the games and then the budget cuts forced them out.    I mean it's our only one truly national sport representing ALL of Canada and Canadians....unlike no other.    TSN?   Arrrrrgh!
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 14, 2023, 11:20:25 PM
This is why I detest TSN.....especially when it comes to football and the CFL.    I deleted their app from my phone and IPad.....I listen to Bomber games via CJOB radio.....I get to watch the game replays via waders27.    I will break down and watch the broadcast of the GC with a bunch of buds who always have a GC party at the friendship hall where we watch it on a big screen.....that's the ONLY exception.    I mean CBC sports used to cover the games and then the budget cuts forced them out.    I mean it's our only one truly national sport representing ALL of Canada and Canadians....unlike no other.    TSN?   Arrrrrgh!
I agree TSN CAN BE A INSULT TO OUR BELOVED SPORT. Why not televise the awards. Instead will play American college ball. Double standard BS.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

1st question to Ambrosie: explain the sucky stats situation all year.  Good on the media for holding his feet to the fire.
Never go full Rider!

bwiser

Quote from: Tiger on November 14, 2023, 04:13:43 AM
So we get to have a NHL or NFL game on 2-3 channels again? Then sports centre on another channel. 

TSN is the leading sports network in Canada but not doing the CFL much good. Again not happy.  Perhaps CFL should contract this, combine, draft to other media or stream and sell advertising.
TSN is probably showing a game that is blacked out in Winnipeg. Its not hard to think that CFL fans would prefer to watch the award ceremonies over a screen that tells you that you can't see this game.

Bluehawk

The TorontoSportsNetwork really has no real ambition to grow our league.
Its too bad there is not a competitive other option.
I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....

Sir Blue and Gold

TSN does a fine enough job. Especially considering the viewership. They're trying to make money like anyone else. Are we expecting MNF technology and announcers?

Bluehawk

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 15, 2023, 04:51:04 PM
TSN does a fine enough job. Especially considering the viewership. They're trying to make money like anyone else. Are we expecting MNF technology and announcers?
Seriously?
What planet you fall off of??
Just expecting the awards ceremony to be televised...not a big ask.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Seriously?
Agreed.....
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

THE CFL i daresay is a Canadian National event and was once covered by our National Broadcaster on CBC Sports.....they did a great job!    Once you've actually been to a Grey Cup (for me it was only once in 2019) you understand the magnitude of the nationwide event.    It brings Canadians together from coast to coast to coast....literally.    Yet TSN has relegated the CFL to low status when it comes to promoting this great Canadian league of ours.    Hell, I met people from the US in Calgary in 2019 who prefer the Grey Cup to the Super bowl! 
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Seriously?

I mean it kind of is. Broadcasting anything live is very expensive, for one. It would require a bunch of camera guys, sound engineers, production truck, director/producers, TV worthy hosts to pay, Tons of prep and production time because you can't just show the stage for an hour or two. You need highlights and special interest stories and probably a band or two. And all the extra costs for the event itself to coordinate timing of commercials and breaks. The venue probably needs TV production lighting which is wouldn't likely have. And after all that you need to market it so more than die-hard CFLers watch it because that audience isn't big enough. Don't forget you're up against the NHL (Canadians, Flames, Canucks and Sens are all in action tomorrow). You've got a the best TNF game on the schedule also going on tomorrow (terrible timing).

It's easy to complain. It's hard to look at the reality and do better.

Stretch

Have we determined how long it has been since the awards show was broadcast live? It seems like it has been a while (guessing at least 10 years).
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 15, 2023, 06:03:36 PM
I mean it kind of is. Broadcasting anything live is very expensive, for one. It would require a bunch of camera guys, sound engineers, production truck, director/producers, TV worthy hosts to pay, Tons of prep and production time because you can't just show the stage for an hour or two. You need highlights and special interest stories and probably a band or two. And all the extra costs for the event itself to coordinate timing of commercials and breaks. The venue probably needs TV production lighting which is wouldn't likely have. And after all that you need to market it so more than die-hard CFLers watch it because that audience isn't big enough. Don't forget you're up against the NHL (Canadians, Flames, Canucks and Sens are all in action tomorrow). You've got a the best TNF game on the schedule also going on tomorrow (terrible timing).

It's easy to complain. It's hard to look at the reality and do better.

Have to agree with this viewpoint, if there was a popular demand for it, the awards show would be televised, can't always have our cake and eat it too.  For those who want to watch the live stream it will probably be available on CFL+ with little to no production added, for those who value their time, the video highlights shown after will summarize everything worth watching.

Bluehawk

Pure speculation but wondering if the Argos had advanced to the cup, would the TSN execs found space on their 5 channels to broadcast the event?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 06:51:37 PM
Pure speculation but wondering if the Argos had advanced to the cup, would the TSN execs found space on their 5 channels to broadcast the event?

Nah.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Jesse

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 06:51:37 PM

Not speculation at all. Toronto was in it last year and they still didn?t, iirc.
My wife is amazing!

Bluehawk

Very true, didn't even think about that....Have a few business friends in the Toronto area have told me that CFL football is very low on the totem pole there.
As mentioned earlier, if the viewership numbers were there, the broadcast would happen.

Jesse

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 15, 2023, 07:24:08 PM
Very true, didn't even think about that....Have a few business friends in the Toronto area have told me that CFL football is very low on the totem pole there.
As mentioned earlier, if the viewership numbers were there, the broadcast would happen.

That's a bit of a chicken/egg argument. Gotta invest in a product to make it grow.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 15, 2023, 06:40:18 PM
Have to agree with this viewpoint, if there was a popular demand for it, the awards show would be televised, can't always have our cake and eat it too.  For those who want to watch the live stream it will probably be available on CFL+ with little to no production added, for those who value their time, the video highlights shown after will summarize everything worth watching.

It's already being recorded, clearly.  Maybe not by TSN, maybe only by the CFL.  But it's already recorded.  That solves the "pay someone to record it" problem.

It's recorded well enough to "broadcast" on streaming and youtube.  It's good enough for people who want to watch to watch.  That solves the "needs lights, production" problems.

Show it after the fact a few hours later.  That solves the need to show it live.  If the CFL streaming can do it, TSN can do it.

Slap in a couple of normal CFL advertiser ads, put it on TSN4 showing the black screen or the 3rd copy of the same event, boom you have a finished product people will watch and PVR at basically no cost (the post-production crew is already salaried).  With the ads you at least break even.  More importantly, you're filling that useless waste of broadcasting space with something new.

How can you not do it?  Boggles the mind.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

I didn't even mind. I just streamed it to the tv last year. I forgot it wasn't even on a normal channel.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 15, 2023, 10:38:10 PM
It's already being recorded, clearly.  Maybe not by TSN, maybe only by the CFL.  But it's already recorded.  That solves the "pay someone to record it" problem.

Perhaps not. Might need to be filmed/recorded by unionized TSN employees in order to air. That?s totally me talking out of my butt, but might be another barrier.
My wife is amazing!

Tiger

At least the cfl put it up. Kudos and thank you.

As to TSN - I?m not sure about the viewership argument when you play one game on 2-3 channels, hence 1-2 channels are available without viewership loss and possible gain.

Right now last years Grey Cup is on and wells as the NBA. That said there is all elite wresting and college football with nothing teams (Central Michigan Chippewas and Ohio Bobcats).  This has more viewership? Maybe it is a cheap feed.

Tomorrow during the awards TSN has under 17 FIFA on two stations, sports centre on 2 channels and SportsCentre with Jay Onrait on the fifth channel.  There must be a reason that it is not shown again given the duplication of their broadcast??? maybe.
Bo Jackson

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 15, 2023, 11:57:01 PM
Perhaps not. Might need to be filmed/recorded by unionized TSN employees in order to air. That?s totally me talking out of my butt, but might be another barrier.

Ah, yes you may be correct on that one.  A friend is in the MB film industry and the union rules are completely mental.  They probably can't use something recorded entirely by a 3rd party.

Oh well, it's still mega lame there's all these shows (I'd watch them all) and no televising.  Streaming at-the-time is impossible for me (9am hahaha), but if they put it on youtube or cfl.ca for anytime watching, that works just as well as the PVR.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Tiger on November 16, 2023, 12:46:04 AM
At least the cfl put it up. Kudos and thank you.

As to TSN - I?m not sure about the viewership argument when you play one game on 2-3 channels, hence 1-2 channels are available without viewership loss and possible gain.

Right now last years Grey Cup is on and wells as the NBA. That said there is all elite wresting and college football with nothing teams (Central Michigan Chippewas and Ohio Bobcats).  This has more viewership? Maybe it is a cheap feed.

Tomorrow during the awards TSN has under 17 FIFA on two stations, sports centre on 2 channels and SportsCentre with Jay Onrait on the fifth channel.  There must be a reason that it is not shown again given the duplication of their broadcast??? maybe.
You are fishing for excuses for them. There is no valid excuse to me

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on November 15, 2023, 11:57:01 PM

This is a good point, whether it's factual or not (I'm pretty sure it is, though). Bell Media owns TSN and so there could be additional barriers for TSN to broadcast non-game CFL events. It's no doubt a complex landscape but I still hold the opinion that TSN can and should do more as a media partner to the CFL to ensure the game, the league, and its events - particularly those during the biggest week of this year - get as much exposure as possible.

CFL+ has been a nice addition to the website but it's kind of buried and I don't think many dedicated fans know about it, much less casual ones.

I can't help but wonder if TSN+ could simply piggyback the content of CFL like it does with other leagues. I'm sure that could be arranged.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on November 15, 2023, 09:47:26 PM
That's a bit of a chicken/egg argument. Gotta invest in a product to make it grow.

It really isn't a chicken and egg argument as far as TSN is concerned. The league has better (and more effective) things to spend their money on in an attempt to grow the game and TSN is a media partner not a co-owner.

The reality is if it was a good idea or if there was money to be made it would be televised. Bell likes money of that there is no doubt.

It is fun to be outraged online though.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 16, 2023, 04:45:30 PM
It really isn't a chicken and egg argument as far as TSN is concerned. The league has better (and more effective) things to spend their money on in an attempt to grow the game and TSN is a media partner not a co-owner.

The reality is if it was a good idea or if there was money to be made it would be televised. Bell likes money of that there is no doubt.

It is fun to be outraged online though.

I'm not outraged, but I certainly disagree with most of what you're saying here.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on November 16, 2023, 05:26:55 PM
I'm not outraged, but I certainly disagree with most of what you're saying here.

Oh for sure! You're not. But some people's expectations aren't exactly grounded in reality. For example, if the league was going to push TSN on anything or give them money to cover something better, I'd argue getting the cable cameras up for more regular season games and cameras in pylons/first down lines would be a better use of money.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 16, 2023, 05:40:50 PM
Oh for sure! You're not. But some people's expectations aren't exactly grounded in reality. For example, if the league was going to push TSN on anything or give them money to cover something better, I'd argue getting the cable cameras up for more regular season games and cameras in pylons/first down lines would be a better use of money.

Agreed. Improving the technology at CFL venues would be nice to see.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 16, 2023, 06:03:45 PM
Agreed. Improving the technology at CFL venues would be nice to see.

With the drone use in the USFL/XFL, would you like to see more of that here?  They were cool sometimes, but an annoying buzz most of the time...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2023, 06:22:08 PM
With the drone use in the USFL/XFL, would you like to see more of that here?  They were cool sometimes, but an annoying buzz most of the time...

I'd be cool with that. Drones aren't that loud. Whatever gives fans, coaches, and officials more angles and clearer views of the game, the better. Technology when implemented properly is an advantage, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Discussions on the other Forum indicate the Awards Ceremony might be carried on YouTube at 6:30 EST.

https://www.youtube.com/@cfl

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 16, 2023, 10:02:11 PM
Discussions on the other Forum indicate the Awards Ceremony might be carried on YouTube at 6:30 EST.

https://www.youtube.com/@cfl
not seeing the pre cursor for that on YouTube

The Zipp

Another @TorontoArgos takes top honours as Dejon Allen is your 2023 Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman!

Dinwiddie coach of the year

Brady O Canadian of the year

Brett Lauther - Tom pate award

Argos QB Chad Kelly wins the CFL?s Most Outstanding Player award (newly named for Riders legend George Reed).

This tied for the closest vote with Bombers RB Brady Oliveira getting 22 of the 61 votes.

GOLDMEMBER

Stiggers best Rookie

Betts best D player

Jesse

39 media members forget definition of the word "outstanding".

Quite embarrassing when writing is their job.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 17, 2023, 12:13:09 AM
39 media members forget definition of the word "outstanding".

Quite embarrassing when writing is their job.
please explain?

Pete

|Im not sure Kelly was even the best quarterback this year let alone outstanding

ModAdmin

Coach of the Year - Ryan Dinwiddie

Most Outstanding Player - Chad Kelly

Most Outstanding Canadian - Brady Oliveira

Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman - Dejon Allen

Most Outstanding Special Teams Player - Javon Leake

Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Matthieu Betts

Rookie of the Year - Qwan'tez Stiggers

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 17, 2023, 01:44:35 AM

Meh, Blue Bombers got jobbed on the useless awards this year.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 17, 2023, 01:44:35 AM

Argos win 5 of 7 awards but failed to make it to the dance.....I was pretty sure Kelly would be picked over Brady but if the fans were to vote it would be Brady all the way.    Also he claims to have suffered a concussion in the East Final....along with the 22 out of 39 who voted for him over Brady.   
Bomber fan for life

Tiger

Quote from: Pete on November 17, 2023, 01:33:36 AM
|Im not sure Kelly was even the best quarterback this year let alone outstanding

I am not sure how you reconcile that.  Zach had better numbers but two less W?s.

Exactly.  Did not play the Bombers in ONLY game the league scheduled.

Kelly  Collapsed in the playoffs which was the only game To was behind showing lack of resilience.  Then gets pouty, glaring and classless during and after the game.  Given his history this is a back look so he blames a non noticed or diagnosed concussion.  As usual making matters worse when one tries to cover up for one?s mistake or bad actions.

MOP indeed they goofed trying to acknowledgeToronto and sick of Winnipeg. 

Trust me - we are going to make you more sick.
Bo Jackson

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Pete

A bit ironic that Dinwiddie wins coach of the year in that he misplayed the last quarter of the season. He tried to overprotect his key players, and the team ended up looking rusty in the game that counted

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2023, 06:22:08 PM

Hated the drones.  Irritating as all heck.  Must have been awful for the actual players with those things buzzing around their heads.  I remember the XFL thread on off-side forum here when they first started the drones and I don't recall anyone thinking they were worth the noise.  Even the XFL drastically scaled back their use after they realized the noise stunk.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on November 16, 2023, 11:55:16 PM
Another @TorontoArgos takes top honours as Dejon Allen is your 2023 Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman!

Brady O Canadian of the year

Argos QB Chad Kelly wins the CFL?s Most Outstanding Player award (newly named for Riders legend George Reed).

Allen did bupkis in the EDF.  I watched him closely.  Never run blocked for AJ once.

Coach: I can accept that, he did get more wins, and brought his bad team 2-3 years ago to where it is now.

What happened with Brady/Kelly is all the media people saw an out where they could have their cake (Brady gets MOC) and eat it too (Kelly gets MOP).  If there wasn't this artificial split Brady might have had a better chance.  I still like the idea of having a MOC and MOA and then a MOP picked from the MOC/MOA.  That way they don't shaft the Canadian thinking "oh he'll be fine with just the MOC", "surely we can't give him both".

I think Hardrick should have won OL over Allen because Allen does no run block.  AJ almost always goes up the gut or to the left edge around.  Rarely does he go to the right where Allen is.  Whereas Yoshi is all over the place cutting across and running down field to get onto defenders when Brady runs A/B/C gap.

But as we saw last year when WE got most of the awards, it fuels the other team (now us) when they get a bit of the shaft on awards.  Hopefully this fuels our guys even more to prove they got it wrong in a couple of days.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Tried to watch Kelly's acceptance speech for his MOP award....couldn't get but half way through....there's just something about him I don't like, other than he plays for Toronto
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 17, 2023, 04:43:05 AM
Tried to watch Kelly's acceptance speech for his MOP award....couldn't get but half way through....there's just something about him I don't like, other than he plays for Toronto

I think Dinwiddie had been partaking in a little liquid courage before his speech!
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 17, 2023, 04:43:05 AM
I think he means well enough but can across as fake. I think he has trouble speaking from the heart. This is likely not entirely his fault. Guy still had a great first year as starting QB in the CFL. Difficult to truly judge his character from that speech.

Waffler

The whole Argo organization reeks of arrogance. I think they are lucky to have Murphy finding players, leave it at that.

Sequence of events I noticed:

1. Offensive Lineman - Dejon Allen over Hardrick
2. Brady says he has the BEST offensive line
3. Chad says HIS offensive line is the best.

Much chest thumping.

OMG! and we are not meeting in the final? This is like a wrestling setup for the big match. Too bad Argos couldn't keep up their end of it.

Basically we won the bare minimum you would expect. Congrats to Brady, btw. Hopefully Bombers use this as fuel and prove we are the best on Sunday.

Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

wpg#1

Quote from: Waffler on November 17, 2023, 01:55:06 PM
The whole Argo organization reeks of arrogance. I think they are lucky to have Murphy finding players, leave it at that.

Sequence of events I noticed:

1. Offensive Lineman - Dejon Allen over Hardrick
2. Brady says he has the BEST offensive line
3. Chad says HIS offensive line is the best.

Much chest thumping.

OMG! and we are not meeting in the final? This is like a wrestling setup for the big match. Too bad Argos couldn't keep up their end of it.

Basically we won the bare minimum you would expect. Congrats to Brady, btw. Hopefully Bombers use this as fuel and prove we are the best on Sunday.

I believe they will !!!
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

drahgon

^ Same

Outwardly I'm sure they will all use the cliche of "individual awards don't matter" but internally this will definitely provide some motivation. However, Montreal could be equally motivated since they were completely shutout.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 17, 2023, 08:35:23 AM
I think he means well enough but can across as fake. I think he has trouble speaking from the heart. This is likely not entirely his fault. Guy still had a great first year as starting QB in the CFL. Difficult to truly judge his character from that speech.
True enough.....I did comment earlier that he had an outstanding season however there's something about him that I can't put my finger on about his demeanour.    Just not a fan but I do respect his ability.    With Zach it's all about his personality and leadership.....I tend to forgive his miscues because of it and he's one of the best at shaking off a bad throw or play and follow that up with a game winning TD pass.    The 21' GC was a classic example of that where he threw two picks and yet in OT he throws a strike to Adams and another to Bailey for the 2 point conversion.    The fact that we even got to OT was a minor miracle in itself, and Zach took full advantage of his opportunities.    
The Bombers were basically overlooked in the awards ceremonies however we know they will be focusing on their number one pursuit....let's hope they can do this without two of their best players in Biggie and Dalton.....I believe they can.
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: drahgon on November 17, 2023, 02:28:30 PM
^ Same

Outwardly I'm sure they will all use the cliche of "individual awards don't matter" but internally this will definitely provide some motivation. However, Montreal could be equally motivated since they were completely shutout.
I'm expecting this to be a battle to the very end....both teams will be playing with a chip on their shoulders.   It has the makings of a classic....the "castoff" Als vs the "vengeful" Bombers.   I like our chances
Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

Kelly has always been kind of an oddball. Makes me wonder if some of Bethel-Thompson's weirdness rubbed off last season when they were teammates.

He did have a pretty outstanding season in what was his first as a QB1. Not sure I'd have put him ahead of either Oliveira or Collaros if we're going purely off statistics; they were both individually superior at their respective positions. It is what it is, though. These individual awards are consistently mired in controversy, anyway.

The Argonauts had a very successful season, so I'm not surprised that they cleaned up last night. Dinwiddie, Leake, Stiggers, and Allen were all excellent during the regular season. That said, my praise ends there and let that be the highlight of their 150th anniversary while they are reserved to being spectators for the last game of 2023.

Congrats to Betts on his MODP award. He had a phenomenal campaign.

I also loved Oliveira's acceptance speech. He's such a high quality human.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず