Grey Cup 2023 pre-game

Started by Pigskin, November 12, 2023, 06:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stats Junkie

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 13, 2023, 02:50:31 AM
Another interesting factoid is that Zach Collaros is the only CFL quarterback in history to play in 4 consecutive Grey Cup games.  Pretty impressive for Zach and his Blue Bomber teammates.
Zach Collaros will become the first QB to start 4 consecutive Grey Cup games

QBs to play in 5 consecutive Grey Cup games:
Tom Wilkinson - Edm (1977-1981) starts in '78 & '79
Warren Moon - Edm (1978-1982) starts in '80, '81 & '82
Frank Cosentino - Ham (1961-1965) no starts
Angie Mitchell - Reg (1928-1932) starts in '29, '30 & '31

QBs to play in 4 consecutive Grey Cup games:
Joe Zuger - Ham(1962-1965) starts in '62 & '65
Greg Kabat - Wpg (1935-1939) start in '39 ***

*** there was no Grey Cup game played in 1936 - the game between Regina Roughriders & Sarnia Imperials was cancelled by mutual decision. Today, the Eastern Final is "officially" considered to be the Grey Cup game.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 13, 2023, 02:50:31 AM
For Sunday's 110th Grey Cup the team will wear white jerseys with gold pants.

Interesting choice.  I like making it something different from the '22 GC.  The gold pants should be a bit of a throwback, and should look good.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I was closely tracking MTL injuries from the EDF.  They got banged up like we got banged up.  Knowing who may be in or out will help plan for the GC.

Sankey banged up, returned and looked ok.
DB Evans looked concussed, unsure if returned (doubtful?).
Lemon non-contact, likely ACL, most likely out.
Cody banged up bigly at least 4 times: stayed in after his obligatory writhing episodes.

I think I've figured out Cody.  Any little bang or sack and he does his writhing and tries to look hurt, limping to the huddle.  But then he gets the snap and he looks 100%, even going on huge, fast scrambles and runs.  He did this at least 4 times in the EDF.  (Contrast to VAJ who went in hurt, looked hurt, got more hurt and clearly wasn't able to execute because he was hurt.)

I think he does it because a) it hurts ya ok sure, b) the DC in the booth and the players then think "oh he's hurt, he won't be running next down".  And they loosen up on contain and he runs for 10Y.  Rinse, repeat.

Plus, then like his "muh obliques", he has a readymade excuse if he loses.  "I was injured, don't blame me."  Might all be a bit slimy, but it's not dumb if it works.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on November 12, 2023, 06:50:25 AM
I am looking at our PR and we have only one LB on our list. Les Maruo. I am thinking he will have to on the AR to backup SG44 and MC33.

We have way more LBs on our roster than any other team, even with Biggie out.

I'd imagine we plug in a player at a different position: DE, DB, WR.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on November 13, 2023, 03:11:13 PM
We have way more LBs on our roster than any other team, even with Biggie out.

I'd imagine we plug in a player at a different position: DE, DB, WR.

I agree about the LB depth. Looking at the game and the stats, Cole, Clement and Gauthier made plays and recorded DT's etc.

Just thinking about the Als problems on their OL after giving up 7 sacks and numerous pressures. That and how effective our front 7 played recording 9 sacks.

I'd give serious thought in adding another DT to further cause them grief by collapsing the interior of their OL. We could set a Grey Cup record in sacks made. lol :)
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Does Montreal try the dribble kick for a first down in the Grey Cup...bold move if they do...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 13, 2023, 04:36:59 PM
I agree about the LB depth. Looking at the game and the stats, Cole, Clement and Gauthier made plays and recorded DT's etc.

Just thinking about the Als problems on their OL after giving up 7 sacks and numerous pressures. That and how effective our front 7 played recording 9 sacks.

I'd give serious thought in adding another DT to further cause them grief by collapsing the interior of their OL. We could set a Grey Cup record in sacks made. lol :)

I saw some interesting formations watching the game replay, often 3 Import D-line backed by 2 Import LB's with Kramdi being the sole Natl. on the D-side of the ball.  I guess the switch to BOLO from Schoen allowed them that flexibility, as they started 7 Natls. on Offence.  Jake, Lawson and Gauthier were all limited in their reps. and if Bennett was ever on the field, I must have missed him.

theaardvark

Quote from: The Zipp on November 13, 2023, 05:04:06 PM
Does Montreal try the dribble kick for a first down in the Grey Cup...bold move if they do...

That would require Fajardo to elude contain, hard to do with our D.  Or for one of the wideouts to get open enough to do it, and our DB's are notorious for being "right there" when a pass is caught in the flat.  If we have a break in coverage, maybe.  But that's not very likely.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on November 13, 2023, 05:04:06 PM
ST coordinator needs to prepared for all occurrences.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 13, 2023, 06:30:13 PM
ST coordinator needs to prepared for all occurrences.

Its a 2nd down and really long play, not a ST play...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

I hope we limit the use of Prukop to short yardage plunges, A number of times this year including BC he looked lost or unsure when asked to do anything else. (on the 2nd and goal play from the 2 yard line prukop runs to the left,  if you watch the presnap BC had loaded up that side of the line If Prukop goes right its wide open as was demski on that side) Hopefully Demski and Bailey are healthier, I'm sure Mtrl will stack up the box like BC did in the 2nd half, we need to spread the defence with sweep type plays.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 13, 2023, 05:23:25 PM
I saw some interesting formations watching the game replay, often 3 Import D-line backed by 2 Import LB's with Kramdi being the sole Natl. on the D-side of the ball.  I guess the switch to BOLO from Schoen allowed them that flexibility, as they started 7 Natls. on Offence.  Jake, Lawson and Gauthier were all limited in their reps. and if Bennett was ever on the field, I must have missed him.

You mean our D, right?  Ya, I was going to comment on the GDT... and we should discuss there, not here.  We were doing completely new and wild & crazy D sets I've never seen before.  Lots of 4 LB sets.  Which sounds crazy against a non-running team?  More analysis required.  No wonder VAJ in his post-game on TSN looked utterly shellshocked.  No wonder he held onto the ball all those times.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 13, 2023, 07:11:24 PM
Its a 2nd down and really long play, not a ST play...

Ya.  It's on the D to stop those dribbles.  Actually, the answer is super easy: don't play 20Y off the outer WR/SBs.  So you can't really ever go into prevent on 2nd & 20.  You need to stay in reasonable range, say 10Y and not always be back-pedalling.

If they dribble, make them pay by bashing the dribbler and getting that loose ball.  It's a high-risk play for them.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

My gameplan vs MTL:

Basically don't throw the ball.  Use all our run playbook, with everyone who's good at running: Brady, Demski, McCrae, Johnny, even Bailey.  Up the gut.  Around the edge.  Sweeps galore.  A few hitch screens when the DBs are playing off.

Basically don't give their DBs any chances to INT.  That's really the name of the game.  I suppose you can also do deep shots sent extra-deep so it's either our guy or no guy makes the play.  This will work especially well once our run-mostly O gets all their D playing close up to the line.

We'll have to be careful on the entire medium pass game, especially in the middle.  And avoid the wide-out 5Y pass.  Medium to the sides might be ok if the receivers are always coming back to the ball, or it's 1 on 1 or 2 on 2.  Short passing has to be restricted to schemes where the pass side is cleared by feints elsewhere, and maybe restricted to man coverage.

MTL D has been taking pages from our book and dropping back lots of DL and LB to go for those "didn't see ya" INTs.  O should ask Hall how to spot the hidden guy.

I expect the MTL O to do little to nothing.  Most deep shots (if any) will be ripe for an INT.  I don't think they'll even try.  Cody looks like he's throwing shot-puts on those.  Their run game has stunk all year.  Even though Stanback is good, that OL can't run block worth beans.

Our DL should be having a field day.  Blitzing should be effective.  McGloster is not even as good as Rice, IMHO, and is the weak link.  Willie should be eating him alive.  Remember, McGloster was a Bomber reject!  Their interior isn't much better.

Philpot and Mack are really the only guys to worry about.  If I'm MTL I'm throwing to them in the 10-20Y range all night.  That would be Willie batdown territory then.

Castillo needs to be on point as we'll get in FG range most series and probably not TD too much because MTL will key on our run and get a lot of stops.  If Castillo misses his first 2 or 3 then we'll have to change our gameplan to just go for it with deep corner EZ shots on 3rd down.  Even if it INTs we should stop them in the EZ.

As we get closer to gameday we'll become even bigger favorites.  I see no way we can lose this game if they follow anything like the above plan.  MTL is really really bad on paper and IMHO doesn't deserve to be there.  Maybe they'll be good next year, but right now they are a one trick pony with no balance and little talent where it counts.  They are like the opposite of a good post-season team.  How many times to such teams win GCs?  They might fool and rattle no-experience Kelly, but they won't rattle been-there-done-that-100-times Zach.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Mtrl is going to stack up the middle just like BC and dare us to pass, Collaros needs to take his reads off Dequoy who is the key to their defense. If he's doubling up on Lawson..look to Demski. Mtrl is really good taking away the short outs, but the mid range passes near the side lines are there, Wolisarski could be huge there.
As far as the run game we need to spread out the defense, have Grant come in and go wide. Nothing to save it for now so have Demski /Bailey active on sweeps, and get the ball to Olivera on short passes. Then Olivera can do what he does best.

The other key is special teams, we continue to give up too many big returns, to the point where in the second half if we have a choice of a small wind or taking the ball we take the ball. Against bc we decided to give them the ball on both kickoffs and in the second half BC returned it out to center field. Mtrls return game is even better than BCs