EDF. Montreal @ Toronto

Started by Pigskin, November 05, 2023, 03:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2023, 10:26:07 AM
Maas was really berating his sideline judge when he was doing his freakout over the play clock.  S- and F-bombs all over the place, spittle everywhere, vitriol flying.  Full on Kent Austin mode.

Why doesn't the CFL have a ref abuse rule like MLB?  No manager would ever get away with even 1/10th of what Maas was screaming without getting ejected.

I get explaining/complaining (MOS does it), chirping, and even agitated berating (Dickenson The Remaining), but full on Maas/Austin should receive punishment.  Maybe start with 10Y UC on the bench and go from there.

P.S. Maas was correct, but it doesn't excuse the behavior.  It's one of the few times I've felt sorry for a ref.
Maas exhibits complete loser behaviour on the sidelines.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2023, 12:51:14 PM
Maas exhibits complete loser behaviour on the sidelines.

He lets his emotions dictate his behaviour - for better or worse.

That said, it doesn't hinder his players from what I can tell. There seems to be sufficient veteran presence to keep the troops even-keeled.

The Alouettes have really come to form on the defensive side of things. They're a fast and physical unit that take advantage of mistakes. They did a great job containing Kelly and co. who struggled all game after DeQuoy's pick-6.

I did not expect the East Final to go the way it did but I am not mad about the result. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2023, 12:29:07 AM
Mike Clemons sulking in the corner is money. lol

I thought that was classless on the part of TSN.  This guy is money for the league, he's outspoken, positive and just an all around great guy.

Putting the camera on him when he is alone as his team is getting crushed when they should have been crushing was just shooting fish in a barrel, and classless, really.

Pinball deserves more respect.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2023, 06:41:40 PM
I thought that was classless on the part of TSN.  This guy is money for the league, he's outspoken, positive and just an all around great guy.

Putting the camera on him when he is alone as his team is getting crushed when they should have been crushing was just shooting fish in a barrel, and classless, really.

Easy there aards.

He signed up for this. You can't only have the spotlight on you when things are going your way. Not classless at all.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Devasted fan, coach, owner, GM and player shots are half the fun of watching a playoff blowout (as long as it's not your team)!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on November 16, 2023, 07:56:53 PM
Easy there aards.

He signed up for this. You can't only have the spotlight on you when things are going your way. Not classless at all.

Agree, the joy of winning and the agony of defeat.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2023, 10:26:07 AM
Maas was really berating his sideline judge when he was doing his freakout over the play clock.  S- and F-bombs all over the place, spittle everywhere, vitriol flying.  Full on Kent Austin mode.

Why doesn't the CFL have a ref abuse rule like MLB?  No manager would ever get away with even 1/10th of what Maas was screaming without getting ejected.

I get explaining/complaining (MOS does it), chirping, and even agitated berating (Dickenson The Remaining), but full on Maas/Austin should receive punishment. Maybe start with 10Y UC on the bench and go from there.

P.S. Maas was correct, but it doesn't excuse the behavior.  It's one of the few times I've felt sorry for a ref.

Maybe not a direct rule for coaches, but they could penalize them. They just choose to let more go with coaches. i don't know if I agree with you on the baseball comparison though. When I see an ump and a manager go at it face to face, I see them letting a lot of vitriol and spittle go before the animated ejection signal happens. And then they go at it some more yet.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on November 16, 2023, 08:15:25 PM
i don't know if I agree with you on the baseball comparison though. When I see an ump and a manager go at it face to face, I see them letting a lot of vitriol and spittle go before the animated ejection signal happens. And then they go at it some more yet.

Right, but the key point there is: an ejection happens.  When's the last time you saw a CFL HC ejected?  Uh, never.  What Maas did to that near-tears ref would be a guaranteed MLB ejection.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 16, 2023, 08:29:39 PM
Right, but the key point there is: an ejection happens.  When's the last time you saw a CFL HC ejected?  Uh, never.  What Maas did to that near-tears ref would be a guaranteed MLB ejection.

I would argue that it's just two wildly different sports with different sporting cultures. Makes sense. You can get away with even less in Tennis than you can the MLB. In football, you've got 250 pound guys running as fast as they can and slamming into each other repeatedly. In that context, a coach screaming at a referee mostly away from camera view isn't really an issue to me. The wildness of football is a selling point (at least for me).

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 16, 2023, 08:00:00 PM
Devasted fan, coach, owner, GM and player shots are half the fun of watching a playoff blowout (as long as it's not your team)!

I think Pinball is great too.  But Sir Blue is right, they always put the camera on the winning and losing HCs, GMs, Prez's; as well as fans.  Those can be the most fun shots of all.  Pinball being great shouldn't get him treated any differently in this regard.

My favorite shot is still Condell in the booth with his Dorsey rat-nest beard losing his marbles after we hosed him on another 3rd&1 in the '19 GC.  Haha, still makes me laugh.

Gotta hand it to Pinball, he was composed and classy even as it was all melting away.  I think he probably took it well as he's been there done that a hundred times over dozens of years.  He knows there's next year, and Kelly is just starting out.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Puh-lease! He's been the beneficiary of a fawning league that has bent over backwards to give all things good to the Argos whether they deserved them or not, which they usually didnt. The Argos are the spoiled child of the league and Pinball is the most spoiled brat of all. It looks damned good on him and his team to have been crushed the way they were. I absolutely loved it and next to a Bomber Grey Cup victory the choke job by the Argos will be one of the highlights of the season for me.
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

I'm not saying you don't show him.  But holding the camera on him for the period of time they did, while he was motionless, that was what I felt lacked class.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on November 17, 2023, 06:04:40 PM
I'm not saying you don't show him.  But holding the camera on him for the period of time they did, while he was motionless, that was what I felt lacked class.

*cue the world's smallest violin*

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 17, 2023, 06:33:57 PM
*cue the world's smallest violin*

This. Pretty sure Pinball knows how to handle himself.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 16, 2023, 08:00:00 PM
here here!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!