Blue Bombers add receiver Markeith Ambles to practice roster

Started by The Zipp, October 31, 2023, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

@Darren_Cameron
15m
#Bombers have added veteran receiver
@_markeithambles
to the practice roster. Over his 50 regular season games, Ambles has recorded 204 receptions for 2,329 yards and 12 touchdowns. A two-time Grey Cup champion, including last season with the Argos (72-737-5 TD?s).

Might mean Schoen and/or Sheed won't be back for playoffs...just guessing

blue_gold_84

I sure hope one of Schoen or Bailey are good to go for the West Final. Or both.

Not sure what to make of this move.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Not sure what the means other than taking a look. Hopefully it doesn't mean we're going to be without 2 of our receivers.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

I look at it as insurance and insight into the Argo camp. Love it.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Waffler

Should be about as plug and play as you can get. We won't know if he plays until the week of practice before the final I would guess.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

No problem if he sits on the PR or backs up WR like Roosevelt did a few years ago, if he jumps into play ahead of BOLO I won't be impressed with the decision.  I wonder if they have to release a player on the PR to accommodate him?

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add receiver Markeith Ambles to practice roster

WINNIPEG, MB., October 31, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announced the addition of veteran receiver Markeith Ambles to the practice roster.

Ambles (6-1, 190; University of Houston; born: November 26, 1991, in McDonough, GA) joins the Blue Bombers after stints with the Calgary Stampeders and Toronto Argonauts this season and brings 50 games of Canadian Football League experience to Winnipeg.

He had 15 receptions for 193 yards in four games this year with the Stampeders before his release in late September. He had returned to Calgary, where he began his CFL career in 2018, following his release by Toronto in August and after missing the first couple of months of the season with the Argos due to an ankle injury.

Ambles set career highs last year with the Argos, pulling in 72 passes for 737 yards and five touchdowns. He started in both playoff games for Toronto last November and had three catches for 47 yards in the Grey Cup win over the Blue Bombers on November 20th. Ambles was also part of the Stampeders Grey Cup team in 2018.

Over his 50 regular season games, Ambles has recorded 204 receptions for 2,329 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Ambles began his college days at USC, but left the school after one year, played one season at Arizona Western before joining Houston. In 23 games over two seasons with the Cougars he had 49 receptions for 791 yards and five touchdowns.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

I guess some added championship pedigree can't hurt. I just don't want it to be at the cost of Schoen or Bailey being unable to play.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bwiser

Bailey sure sounded like someone who is playing in the Western final. I am less optimistic about Shoen being available for the Western final.

Pete

I would think that bailey is doubtfu, also that we were' nt impressed with Alston

Pigskin

Bombers have a closed practice on Thursday. Friday off, and then another practice on Saturday at 9 am. Then a Sunday and Monday off again. If DS83 or RB88 are going to practice, it probably wouldn't be until next Tuesday when we know who we are playing. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: bwiser on October 31, 2023, 03:46:19 PM
Bailey sure sounded like someone who is playing in the Western final. I am less optimistic about Shoen being available for the Western final.

Where did you hear Bailey expected to play?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BlueGold8597

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 31, 2023, 04:46:28 PM
Where did you hear Bailey expected to play?

In the interviews with Bailey or about Bailey no one said anything about him being injured. He did not talk like someone who would not be able to play.

Shoen is likely not healing fast enough to play hence ambles

Blue In BC

Quote from: BlueGold8597 on October 31, 2023, 05:05:57 PM
In the interviews with Bailey or about Bailey no one said anything about him being injured. He did not talk like someone who would not be able to play.

Shoen is likely not healing fast enough to play hence ambles

Bailey did pull up with a hamstring injury in the last game. We weren't sure how serious it was.

Schoen still has some time to heal but we'll know next week to see if he's practising at all. If not I'm not sure Ambles gets added to the AR ahead of McCrae but it's certainly not out of the question. The thing is that McCrae is part of our run game and is much more familiar with our play book.

Ambles could be good insurance.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on October 31, 2023, 12:12:21 PM
to the practice roster. Over his 50 regular season games, Ambles has recorded 204 receptions for 2,329 yards and 12 touchdowns. A two-time Grey Cup champion, including last season with the Argos (72-737-5 TD?s).

Might mean Schoen and/or Sheed won't be back for playoffs...just guessing

Meh.  I didn't even know he was couch-sitting.  When did he last play?  He's a serviceable grunt guy, can probably block ok, and can make some punishment catches across the middle.  Not the fastest, won't be busting out much.  Hands sometimes suspect, but not horrible.

What's the reason TOR let him go?  I'd say he's better than half their no-name receivers.  Was he asking too much $$ for a full season?  If so, this shows we had some SMS$ to spare.

Quote from: Waffler on October 31, 2023, 12:52:19 PM
I look at it as insurance and insight into the Argo camp. Love it.

Maybe.  Except if he was let go in FA he'll have little useful info about this year, in contrast to Agudosi.

Quote from: Jesse on October 31, 2023, 04:02:03 PM
Well, this doesn't seem like great news.

Yup, this smells of Bailey or Schoen (or both!!) being out still come GC time... Not a good smell.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 31, 2023, 02:21:34 PM
No problem if he sits on the PR or backs up WR like Roosevelt did a few years ago, if he jumps into play ahead of BOLO I won't be impressed with the decision.  I wonder if they have to release a player on the PR to accommodate him?

That is the optimistic view.  IMP injury insurance... I too would most likely start BOLO ahead of Ambles in WDF, and probably GC.  BOLO is in tune with the O, can sub in for anyone, etc.  Ambles may be like when Jorden stepped in for CGY in the '19 WSF and was completely lost.  It's not just plug & play you guys.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2023, 06:13:36 AM
Maybe.  Except if he was let go in FA he'll have little useful info about this year, in contrast to Agudosi.

He attended Argos camp THIS YEAR and was released Aug 2. Calgary signed him a week later. Why they released him is a good question. 

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2023, 06:13:36 AM
It's not just plug & play you guys.

I think it is as close as you can get. A CFL vet that has won a championship. If anyone knows how to attack the TO secondary it would be him. Calgary's too if it comes to that.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on November 01, 2023, 10:02:38 AM
He attended Argos camp THIS YEAR and was released Aug 2. Calgary signed him a week later. Why they released him is a good question. 

So he was on TOR's PR this whole season up until Aug 2?  Maybe this is our revenge for them sniping Agudosi...

As for CGY, I've noticed a trend of decent players leaving CGY for $$ and returning with their tails tucked a season later for less pay.  It's actually good for CGY as the guys know their system still and they reduce their SMS costs.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Weird we sign Ambles from TO's PR while the Argos sign Agudosi from our PR, both 2nd tier receivers.....you'd think just stay with the team you're on as if there's an injury, you know the playbook, you can start/play vs go to a new team and try to learn a playbook in a matter of weeks.....

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2023, 09:42:52 PM
So he was on TOR's PR this whole season up until Aug 2?  Maybe this is our revenge for them sniping Agudosi...

As for CGY, I've noticed a trend of decent players leaving CGY for $$ and returning with their tails tucked a season later for less pay.  It's actually good for CGY as the guys know their system still and they reduce their SMS costs.

Letting players walk away in F.A. has been the downfall of the Stamps dynasty, they brought a ton of good players into the league but Huff's distain for F.A. and paying higher wages to retain vets. meant other teams benefitted from their recruiting.  Now they get by picking up unwanted table scraps to fill out their roster.

Austin85

Markieth Ambles is going to play guaranteed, the wouldn't of brought him in if they knew Schoen could not go.

theaardvark

Quote from: Austin85 on November 09, 2023, 06:35:17 PM
Markieth Ambles is going to play guaranteed, the wouldn't of brought him in if they knew Schoen could not go.

Have you heard of "insurance"?

Ambles may be he best option to slot in for any of our rec corps as far as game ready / CFL experienced players available (since no trades are allowed)

Arguably, Agudosi may have been a better option, but when released, we did not have Rec injuries.  I was surprised though, as he was a good insurance policy, except his propensity for the tub.  You'd have needed insurance for the insurance.  And that player is now nicked as well (Murphy)

So Ambles was the now the best option out there, just in case.

I really, really hope he doesn't play in either the WF or the GC, because that means we have our full Rec corps on the field.  But I'm much happier with him coming in than someone totally green to the CFL (Alston).

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Austin85 on November 09, 2023, 06:35:17 PM

Maybe.  Probably not.  Remember Roosevelt that we signed for a few weeks at the end of last(?) season and never saw the field.

Ambles is far better than Agudosi, but Agudosi knew the system, blocking, etc.  So if either TOR or WPG is forced to field their new guy, we won on the deal.

I still maintain Agudosi was signed to steal our info.  I'm still trying to figure out when Ambles was let go by TOR to see if we're "getting them back" or not.  From what I've gathered so far Ambles was cut near the start of the season, meaning he'd be useless from a info-gathering standpoint.
Never go full Rider!

Stats Junkie

If Markeith Ambles dresses on Saturday, he will be the 8th player to make his Blue Bombers debut in a post season game.

Others:
James Murphy 1982
John Ulmer 1989
Chad Plummer 2002
Chris Cvetkovic 2003
Stanley Jackson 2003
Zac Taylor 2007
Matt Kudu 2008
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

dd

Ambles has been around the block a few times, nothing we have he hasn?t seen. This is a very good signing and we ll see it pay dividends on Saturday !!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!