Will this year be the year we end the Argos GC dominance over us?

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, October 30, 2023, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Mind you since 1950 we have only faced the Argos once and that was last year.    There was mention of the Argos being undefeated in Grey Cups against the Bombers and then we lost in the dying seconds after they blocked a last minute FG attempt.   Here are stats:

1937 (Toronto won 4-3)
1938 (Toronto won 30-7)
1945 (Toronto won 35-0)
1946 (Toronto won 28-6)
1947 (Toronto won 10-9)
1950 (Toronto won 13-0)
2022 (Toronto won 24-23)

Assuming we do meet the Argos in Hamilton, and you know I hate being presumptuous, this stat will still be hanging over us.   Note that three of the wins were decided by one point and in 2 games we were shut out.   The other 3 games were blowouts.

The Bombers have the most GC appearances of any team however we're batting .444 where the Argos have 24 appearance (2nd most in the CFL) and are batting .750.

Appearances   Team   Wins   Losses   Win %   Last Win
27   Winnipeg Blue Bombers   12   15   .444              2021
24   Toronto Argonauts           18   6    750              2022

So there's that.....since it's close to Halloween, is this enough to qualify as the Argos curse over us?   

Bomber fan for life

blue_gold_84

Curses aren't real. And while those stats are pretty tilted in the Argonauts' favour, I wouldn't put too much stock into them considering all but one stat line are from 70+ years ago.

Last year's championship tilt was the Bombers' to lose, IMO - and I'll gladly die on that hill. All the momentum Grant's early 4Q punt return generated was squandered by a handful of ugly mistakes and questionable decisions. Outside of Liegghio's missed convert after Grant's PR major, it was a very uncharacteristic performance by a team that had built an identity of locking down leads and playing it safe and smart in order to win - especially in 2022.

Should the two meet again in this year's GC, I have ample confidence the Bombers won't repeat those same mistakes. Does that mean they win? No. I do, however, think that should they have a decent lead late in the game similar to last year, they lock it down and don't look back.

I'm sure this team is hungry to avenge that GC109 loss regardless of the opponent but I'd have to imagine they'd be even hungrier to do so against the Argonauts.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bomb squad

Nothing wrong with the question, but personally I'm not going to ponder it until and if both teams have won on Nov. 11th.

Blue In BC

I think we end up playing the Als in the Grey Cup. So no this isn't the year to end the dominance of the Argos. :)

ARGOS SUCK.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BBRT

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 30, 2023, 05:10:12 PM
I think we end up playing the Als in the Grey Cup. So no this isn't the year to end the dominance of the Argos. :)

ARGOS SUCK.

I am not sure I can agree with you on this one. But again I have no idea how really good the Argos are. They dominate against a weaker East and when we played them they really did not have any motivation to win etc. And they did sit a few folks. So not sure how really good the Argos are. I think the Eastern Final will tell us something.

And we have to get by either BC or Calgary (and I would suggest it will be BC) then we can have these discussions.

Cool Spot

Wpg definitely hasn't beaten Toronto in a Grey Cup in 70+ years, but if we step back and look at playoff encounters, it's different. Since 1988, listing the winner first [1]:

* 1988 - Wpg 27, Tor 11 (Wpg underdog)
* 1989 - Wpg 30, Tor 7 (Wpg slight underdog, IMO)
* 1990 - Wpg 20, Tor 17 (Tor underdog)
* 1991 - Tor 42, Wpg 3 (Wpg underdog)
* 2006 - Tor 31, Wpg 27 (Wpg underdog)
* 2007 - Wpg 19, Tor 9 (Wpg underdog)
* 2022 - Tor 24, Wpg 23 (Tor underdog)

So, looking at the post-season, it's a little more even with Toronto having the edge in the most recent meetings.

[1] Why 1988? That's the year I started watching football. Of course, we can go back further if required (maybe will do this a little later)

bluengold204

I wish you guys would not just assume we are going to the GC.  We need to win the WDF first and should be focused on that.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bluengold204 on October 31, 2023, 10:51:42 AM
I wish you guys would not just assume we are going to the GC.  We need to win the WDF first and should be focused on that.

Because what fans do or discuss on a forum will certainly impact the team...
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Waffler

There are a LOT of superstitions in sports. You could easily write a book on it. Someone probably has. But I agree with one game at a time. We very easily could have lost to BC last time. If we think ahead we are cooked. Maybe BC thinks ahead though and Calgary wins. Stranger things have happened. One game at a time. It is the way.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blueforlife

Games are decided by blood, sweat and tears on game day.  I find superstitions really odd in sports.  Had buddies get mad at me for mentioning shutout before it happened.  I guess the goalies can listen to fans at home? Lol

Any team will have a tough time with Toronto this year but we have the best chance to crack them.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

dd

Toronto is due to be knocked off in the playoffs or the grey cup. They should never had beaten Calgary a couple of years ago but did, and never should have beat us last year but did. I think this year is our year to return the favour

blue_or_die

#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

Yeah I'm not too concerned about what happened in 1950 and earlier.
A member of that 1950 team would be 93 today if they were 20 years old in '50.
As for that 1945 team? We are closer to the year 2100 than 1945.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on November 01, 2023, 04:50:04 PM
Yeah I'm not too concerned about what happened in 1950 and earlier.
A member of that 1950 team would be 93 today if they were 20 years old in '50.
As for that 1945 team? We are closer to the year 2100 than 1945.

it is ironic that we haven't met the Argos in the GC since the 50s however that fact alone doesn't negate the history between the two clubs.....I was born in 51 so never witnessed any of those losses other than the one last season.    Forgive my superstitions.....however the numbers are what they are
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 30, 2023, 05:10:12 PM

MTL has done a great job stacking up their team mid/late season with guys like Lemon and Sankey.  Both of those we were eyeing, but MTL was the one who pulled the trigger.  They are making a legitimate run for it.  But I think Cody/Maas aren't good enough and that will be their undoing.

HAM could come out of the WSF if they play Schiltz 90% of the game.  If it was me I might bring BLM in between the 15 and 30 for EZ passing shots, but elsewhere on the field he's useless and will lose them the game.  HAM has the best cold-weather D front 7.

I don't think either team is good enough to bump off TOR, especially after getting beaten up in ESF.  But if TOR plays poorly or takes injuries, you never know.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 02, 2023, 03:55:44 AM
MTL has done a great job stacking up their team mid/late season with guys like Lemon and Sankey.  Both of those we were eyeing, but MTL was the one who pulled the trigger.  They are making a legitimate run for it.  But I think Cody/Maas aren't good enough and that will be their undoing.

HAM could come out of the WSF if they play Schiltz 90% of the game.  If it was me I might bring BLM in between the 15 and 30 for EZ passing shots, but elsewhere on the field he's useless and will lose them the game.  HAM has the best cold-weather D front 7.

I don't think either team is good enough to bump off TOR, especially after getting beaten up in ESF.  But if TOR plays poorly or takes injuries, you never know.
If I were a betting man my money is on Toronto.....I don't see either the Als or the Cats being able to knock them off.    In the West I don't see either the Stamps or Lions upsetting us and the odds of a rematch grudge match between us and the Argos are high,    However, that's why we play the games and injuries are always a factor.    Both the Argos and the Bombers have depth at most positions so we will soon see how each team emerges from the division finals.
Bomber fan for life

55StickCar

Cool Spot

Lincoln Locomotive

just got in....couldn't believe the final score!?   Wow, the Argos crapped the bed.....lots of GC tickets available for bargain basement $$s!   
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Didn't really see that coming.....how many turnovers?   8 or 9??   It just shows to go ya.....the regular season means precious little in a one game sudden death playoff.     Who would have predicted Cody Fajardo would be in the Grey Cup at the beginning of the season?   He certainly played better than Kelly.....
Bomber fan for life

Tiger

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 11, 2023, 10:33:21 PM
Didn't really see that coming.....how many turnovers?   8 or 9??   It just shows to go ya.....the regular season means precious little in a one game sudden death playoff.     Who would have predicted Cody Fajardo would be in the Grey Cup at the beginning of the season?   He certainly played better than Kelly.....

Yup

Need to avenge another year
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

J5V

Go Bombers!

J5V

What a great day of football! First Montreal gifts us a defeat of Toronto and now the Bombers beat BC for their 4th trip in a row to the Grey Cup. Just a great day of football.
Go Bombers!

Bluehawk

Sorry we don't get the chance to take on the Argos.
Proud to be representing the West.
Bomber fans saved the Grey Cup game last year in Regina...hope Montreal offers a bit of support this year!
Perhaps a few greenies show up to cheer on Maas and Farjardo...lol
I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....

GOLDMEMBER

Might as well delete this thread and replace it with Argos mega collapse for the ages. :D

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 12, 2023, 01:16:13 PM
Might as well delete this thread and replace it with Argos mega collapse for the ages. :D
was thinking the same.....lol!   Montreal's D was certainly dialed in.....two pick sixes and then that 105 yard KO return that broke their backs....looks good on Toronto.    Was kind of hoping for a rematch with them though and now we get the Als instead.   Let's not underestimate them as their D played outstanding.    We will most likely play the game without our defensive QB Adam Bighill so we need to win this game for Adam who has done so much for Winnipeg since we signed him,   
Bomber fan for life

dd

Given the injuries to bighill, Bailey, Demski and Schoen , I think we are the underdogs in the grey cup. Montreal s defense with Lemon and sankey is unreal right now, I will be surprised if we beat them next week

The Zipp

Quote from: dd on November 12, 2023, 01:46:43 PM
Given the injuries to bighill, Bailey, Demski and Schoen , I think we are the underdogs in the grey cup. Montreal s defense with Lemon and sankey is unreal right now, I will be surprised if we beat them next week

Huh?

We will not be the underdog

J5V

Quote from: The Zipp on November 12, 2023, 01:52:58 PM
Huh?

We will not be the underdog
Agreed. The Montreal D is much like ours -- physical, punch-mouth players that get after it. Our D would have done the same thing to Kelly and the Argos. The difference should be the offence. Ours is much better across the board especially at QB. Our O-line is better, our run game is better, and our pass game is better. There's no way Fajardo outplays Collaros. This Bomber team is dialed in and won't be caught reading press clippings like the Argos. I look for Winnipeg to have their best game of the season next week in Hamilton.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Tiger on November 11, 2023, 11:15:16 PM
Yup

Need to avenge another year

I don't know.  I think what has transpired counts as revenge for last year.  We beat TOR in our only match-up this season.  They chose to chicken & wimp out by not starting Kelly.  (I understand why they did and it was the right choice, but it still makes them chicken.)

We'll most likely beat MTL, the team that just wasted TOR.  So by transitive property we beat TOR... good enough for me!  TOR chose and made their own path, now they lie in it.  (I really liked watching Oullette getting pissy near the line after failed plays.)

If we want the real real real rematch then in all likelihood we see it in 2024 in a completely empty BC Place, save for a few Winnipeggers with money to burn and the odd TOR super-fan or 2.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

No way.  Vegas will put us at 10pt favorites.  14 if Schoen can play.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 13, 2023, 12:07:11 AM
No way.  Vegas will put us at 10pt favorites.  14 if Schoen can play.

currently 7.5 point favorites

theaardvark

I'll take that bet...

Bailey and Demski may not be 100%, but they play well enough.  Sankey is lights out, sure, but our D is better at every other position, even missing Bighill.  And Lemon may be injured, regardless, either Jeffcoat or Jefferson is much better, even if Lemon is healthy.

On O, nothing stops Brady.  Sorry, MTL may have a pass rush, but up the gut, our hoggies will push them around.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Bluehawk

You still drinking after the win?????
BC game should not of been that close.  Playoffs will always level the playing field but I will be
surprised if we don't win!
Vegas agrees...last I looked Bombers 7.5 favorite

Go Bombers!
I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 13, 2023, 12:06:31 AM
I don't know.  I think what has transpired counts as revenge for last year.  We beat TOR in our only match-up this season.  They chose to chicken & wimp out by not starting Kelly.  (I understand why they did and it was the right choice, but it still makes them chicken.)

We'll most likely beat MTL, the team that just wasted TOR.  So by transitive property we beat TOR... good enough for me!  TOR chose and made their own path, now they lie in it.  (I really liked watching Oullette getting pissy near the line after failed plays.)

If we want the real real real rematch then in all likelihood we see it in 2024 in a completely empty BC Place, save for a few Winnipeggers with money to burn and the odd TOR super-fan or 2.
I'm predicting BC will be in the Cup next season.....they have a good team and will learn from their previous losses in the WF.   Campbell is a good coach and will have this team ready.   I see us losing to them next year in the WF in another epic battle.....hey but I hope I'm wrong!
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on November 13, 2023, 04:13:49 PM
I'll take that bet...

Bailey and Demski may not be 100%, but they play well enough.  Sankey is lights out, sure, but our D is better at every other position, even missing Bighill.  And Lemon may be injured, regardless, either Jeffcoat or Jefferson is much better, even if Lemon is healthy.

On O, nothing stops Brady.  Sorry, MTL may have a pass rush, but up the gut, our hoggies will push them around.

I believe Lemon suffered a torn ACL, so he's done and not likely ever coming back.

In regard to Brady being unstoppable, the Lions did it successfully in the second half.  Maybe the O-line was gassed from their first half push or maybe BC adjusted their formation, but it can and does happen.  Same thing used to happen to Harris, one game he would run wild and the next game the opponent would step up and shut down the running game based on film study.

If the Bombers can only sustain one half of running it down the other team's throats, I would prefer they save it for the 2nd half.  Hopefully they are able to add runs by Demski, Bailey and McCrae to the mix against the Als, just to mix things up.

GOLDMEMBER

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 13, 2023, 05:10:14 PM
I believe Lemon suffered a torn ACL, so he's done and not likely ever coming back.

In regard to Brady being unstoppable, the Lions did it successfully in the second half.  Maybe the O-line was gassed from their first half push or maybe BC adjusted their formation, but it can and does happen.  Same thing used to happen to Harris, one game he would run wild and the next game the opponent would step up and shut down the running game based on film study.

If the Bombers can only sustain one half of running it down the other team's throats, I would prefer they save it for the 2nd half.  Hopefully they are able to add runs by Demski, Bailey and McCrae to the mix against the Als, just to mix things up.
BC really loaded the box in the second half and there were no gaping holes like in the first quarter right off the hop.....they keyed on stopping him knowing how important he is to our success.....that opened the door for Kenny Lawler though who made several outstanding catches and drew an obvious PI as well putting us in scoring position.   I'm glad we had him this season, despite him missing 7 games.    That  leaping twisting catch he made on the sidelines where he gets his elbow in bounds and still manages to hold on to the ball was one of his best catches this season.......and Peterson was all over him.   Very few receivers could make that catch and Zach puts it in those spots where only Kenny can make a play on it.    Kudos to both Zach and 'Kenny for making that huge play!!
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 13, 2023, 05:10:14 PM

Where did you see he tore his ACL?

The Zipp

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 13, 2023, 05:07:30 PM
I'm predicting BC will be in the Cup next season.....they have a good team and will learn from their previous losses in the WF.   Campbell is a good coach and will have this team ready.   I see us losing to them next year in the WF in another epic battle.....hey but I hope I'm wrong!

Did you look at their potential free agent list? It's shorter than many teams but includes many top players. TJ Lee and Hatcher both may be lost for the 2024 season due to injuries.

It's impossible to even predict what a teams roster will look like before free agency has more or less been completed.

Any team can go from top to bottom in the course of one season.

Note that all these comments apply to the Bombers as well. They are going to have an extensive potential free agent list. Including Schoen and Oliveria to top their list.

Will most be re-signed? I hope so but way too early to predict much of anything.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 13, 2023, 05:07:30 PM
I'm predicting BC will be in the Cup next season.....they have a good team and will learn from their previous losses in the WF.   Campbell is a good coach and will have this team ready.   I see us losing to them next year in the WF in another epic battle.....hey but I hope I'm wrong!
I don?t think they get by us next year again. For all the pieces they have we have them too and then some

I think they ll be in the top tier of the league but with free agency you just never know, Brady is just coming into his own and next year will be even more dominating next year and zack ain?t going anywhere

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on November 13, 2023, 07:36:17 PM
exactly...I have seen nothing to indicate that.
So just forum trash news. Lol. I should know better.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 13, 2023, 10:13:58 PM
Did you look at their potential free agent list? It's shorter than many teams but includes many top players. TJ Lee and Hatcher both may be lost for the 2024 season due to injuries.

It's impossible to even predict what a teams roster will look like before free agency has more or less been completed.

Any team can go from top to bottom in the course of one season.

Note that all these comments apply to the Bombers as well. They are going to have an extensive potential free agent list. Including Schoen and Oliveria to top their list.

Will most be re-signed? I hope so but way too early to predict much of anything.

Again Walters silence this season is unnerving, he usually extends a few key players later in the season with money he's saved along the way, this year nothing.  Hoping he has some visibility this week in Hamilton and sits down for a few interviews to clarify his situation.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 13, 2023, 10:58:27 PM
Again Walters silence this season is unnerving, he usually extends a few key players later in the season with money he's saved along the way, this year nothing.  Hoping he has some visibility this week in Hamilton and sits down for a few interviews to clarify his situation.
Agreed....
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 13, 2023, 10:58:25 PM
So just forum trash news. Lol. I should know better.

I made an educated guess after doing my usual slow-mo review of the footage, and ACL was my guess in the EDF thread.  Could be any knee thing, though.  One thing that's near for sure: he won't be in the GC, and that's all that matters for us.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2023, 01:24:24 AM
I made an educated guess after doing my usual slow-mo review of the footage, and ACL was my guess in the EDF thread.  Could be any knee thing, though.  One thing that's near for sure: he won't be in the GC, and that's all that matters for us.
You know this for a fact Tecno? Slow down man lol.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2023, 01:41:44 AM
You know this for a fact Tecno? Slow down man lol.

Uh, educated guess.  You see enough of these, and we've seen so many achilles and ACL's since covid, and you quickly learn to key off certain aspects.  I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV, and I don't play one on the forum, but I'd put my correct diagnosis rate at 60% or above, at least on the non-contact injuries!

Maybe I'll start keeping track!  I'll start with Lemon.

It's a forum, we're allowed to ponder and pontificate and prognosticate.  Just like everyone's an armchair QB, and GM, and...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Without checking, I?m going to go ahead and say that Walters never re-signs anyone while the season is still ongoing.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 14, 2023, 12:43:50 PM
Without checking, I?m going to go ahead and say that Walters never re-signs anyone while the season is still ongoing.
I would this is correct for the over whelming most part.

Blue In BC

Yeah, he does a very good job at re-signing players once the season is done. That said, there are changes every season. We've got some older players that might become casualties. SMS and succession + draft choices will replace a few every year.

However, it's still a to be determined issue. Generally we see about 80 free agents across CFL rosters move to new teams for $$ or other reasons. Sayles and Couture were two pieces we lost.
2019 Grey Cup Champions