Good, Bad, Ugly (Winnipeg@Calgary)

Started by ModAdmin, October 28, 2023, 04:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on October 29, 2023, 10:50:48 PM
They were really pumping Alston's tires in the pre-game on CJOB... Maybe tecno can tell us if he even saw him in one of his re-watches.

I think he was out there a decent bit, but not all the time.  They were rotating between BOLO and McCrae and Alston.  I'm sure Alston was blocking a fair bit, but I didn't see anything in particular.  And I'm pretty sure he got no targets and no carries.

Would have been better to just have kept Agudosi... oh well.  Heaven help us if we need Alston to slot in for a injured Bailey or Schoen in the GC (or even WDF)!!  It'll be like rolling the craps dice and hoping for snake eyes.
Never go full Rider!

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 29, 2023, 07:05:41 AM
Haha, you pulled that one out of left field.  :D :D  Yes, the '23 LDC will forever remain a mystery.  What a bizarre game.  Makes me want to go back and watch it.  They were bringing heat on Zach all the time.  They were playing like they were possessed and we were just flat.

Give the Riders credit, they left it all on the field. Literally. Nothing left in the tank for the final 7 games LOL

Pigskin

Quote from: J5V on October 29, 2023, 04:45:06 PM
Good - Dru Brown, Rasheed Bailey
Bad - Prukop
Ugly - Bailey Injury. Please Football Gods, let it be minor.

Have to agree. re-watched the game with our bomber border. He thought Prukop had a rough game. We also noticed that 42 Karamoko missed a few to many tackles. On the other hand, 41 Cole had a very good game.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on October 30, 2023, 08:46:36 PM
Have to agree. re-watched the game with our bomber border. He thought Prukop had a rough game. We also noticed that 42 Karamoko missed a few to many tackles. On the other hand, 41 Cole had a very good game.

Alston was invisible but than I was shocked to hear before last game BOLO had only 5 targets so far this season, can't see how they're going to convince him to come back without more attention.  Fox and Garbutt both looked solid and even Schmekel made a play or two.  Neither Bennett or Haba stood out considering they've received the most playing time this season, Bennett can pursue but he doesn't have the physicality to make plays happen.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 30, 2023, 10:31:54 PM
Alston was invisible but than I was shocked to hear before last game BOLO had only 5 targets so far this season, can't see how they're going to convince him to come back without more attention.  Fox and Garbutt both looked solid and even Schmekel made a play or two.  Neither Bennett or Haba stood out considering they've received the most playing time this season, Bennett can pursue but he doesn't have the physicality to make plays happen.

Schmekel is another guy that works very hard in practice. Pretty happy with his play.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 30, 2023, 10:31:54 PM
Alston was invisible but than I was shocked to hear before last game BOLO had only 5 targets so far this season, can't see how they're going to convince him to come back without more attention.

As a team that fields 2 NAT WR, as well as a NAT RB, having a decent NAT backup like BOLO is critical.  We can't just let him walk.  Plus, he's often dressed as the sole WR backup, so at least he's getting AR money.

If you need to bump BOLO $$ up to stay happy and here, then bump his $$.  He's not proven starter material (thankfully!) yet, even though he has looked like he probably could as a lower tier NAT starter WR.  The only way we can let BOLO walk is if we get a ready-to-roll NAT WR in DP, say like a Philpot.  And we rarely draft receivers, at least ones that work out.

TLDR; we'll be keeping BOLO.  Bonus: with our injuries, maybe BOLO starts in the GC!!
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

I'd like to keep him but all depends on money. We have Murphy in the pipeline, he looked decent. Can't see us over paying here.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on October 31, 2023, 12:00:00 PM
I'd like to keep him but all depends on money. We have Murphy in the pipeline, he looked decent. Can't see us over paying here.

That is the most likely scenario but he would be worth retaining if they lose Schoen, we'll see if he gets playing time and does well in the final few games.

Stats Junkie

Good - Blue Bombers only punted once vs Calgary (4th time this season). Since Labour Day, Sheahan has punted a total of 11 times.

Bad - For the 2nd time in 3 games, Chris Kolankowski bounced a snap off himself resulting in a fumble (also vs BC)

Ugly - Dakota Prukop fumbled twice and now leads the Bombers with 5 fumbles on the season

Things that make you go huh!?
Zach Collaros had 5 drives end in a missed field goal in 2023. Zach Collaros only had 3 drives end in a missed field goal in 2022.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Blue In BC

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 31, 2023, 04:40:59 PM
Good - Blue Bombers only punted once vs Calgary (4th time this season). Since Labour Day, Sheahan has punted a total of 11 times.

Bad - For the 2nd time in 3 games, Chris Kolankowski bounced a snap off himself resulting in a fumble (also vs BC)

Ugly - Dakota Prukop fumbled twice and now leads the Bombers with 5 fumbles on the season

Things that make you go huh!?
Zach Collaros had 5 drives end in a missed field goal in 2023. Zach Collaros only had 3 drives end in a missed field goal in 2022.

Castillo probably has been an improvement but he's also had some short falls as well. We seem to always have short kick offs. Maybe that's a coaching choice? Hindsight is great but perhaps we should have kept Liegghio to be our punter and back up kicker? I don't see an improvement in our punting game and losing a Global player on defence had it's impact as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 31, 2023, 04:44:54 PM
I don't see an improvement in our punting game and losing a Global player on defence had it's impact as well.

I agree about the more-than-meets-the-eye roster impact of Castillo; but you already knew that.  However, we are so far along in the season that let's see how the end game plays out... we really made this move for one reason: FGs under extreme pressure.  It's to fill in that puzzle piece for the '23 vs '22 GC.  As such we can't judge the move until the GC is won!

If a/some pressure kicks win us the GC, then all of the ratio and roster issues of having Castillo become moot.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2023, 06:29:51 AM
I agree about the more-than-meets-the-eye roster impact of Castillo; but you already knew that.  However, we are so far along in the season that let's see how the end game plays out... we really made this move for one reason: FGs under extreme pressure.  It's to fill in that puzzle piece for the '23 vs '22 GC.  As such we can't judge the move until the GC is won!

If a/some pressure kicks win us the GC, then all of the ratio and roster issues of having Castillo become moot.

Signing Castillo was more of an issue once we decided to add a Global punter. That took away 2 spots we normally would have had on defence. If we had signed any Canadian as a punter I would have been more agreeable with the changes.

Castillo won't fold under pressure in the Grey Cup but can we block better this time to prevent a blocked kick? Better yet can the offence get another couple of 1st downs to make the FG attempt closer?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 31, 2023, 04:44:54 PM
Castillo probably has been an improvement but he's also had some short falls as well. We seem to always have short kick offs. Maybe that's a coaching choice? Hindsight is great but perhaps we should have kept Liegghio to be our punter and back up kicker? I don't see an improvement in our punting game and losing a Global player on defence had it's impact as well.
. Actually castillo has one of the better kickoff yard average, the problem was he was outkicking the coverage because of the short hang time. Later in season he went shorter but with higher kicks, the end result seemed to be a better net.

J5V

Quote from: Pete on November 01, 2023, 03:24:24 PM
. Actually castillo has one of the better kickoff yard average, the problem was he was outkicking the coverage because of the short hang time. Later in season he went shorter but with higher kicks, the end result seemed to be a better net.
That's a great observation. Thanks for that. I was wondering what was going on there and that explains it perfectly. Just think if he had been kicking for us in last year's Grey Cup game. Maybe that game would have had a different outcome.

Castillo reminds me a bit of Medlock. Maybe not as talented but seems to have a live leg and is very professional in his approach. I feel much better with him kicking than I ever did with Liegghio. He is all-business out there.
Go Bombers!