The demise of the Riders...Dickenson fired...GM extended.

Started by The Zipp, October 22, 2023, 03:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Realistically Dickenson should have been fired after last season...he must be fired on Monday and his brother Dave who has never missed the playoffs as HC will maybe hire him as an assistant to the assistant position coach. 

That team is clearly not coached well and hasn't been for a while.  Looks good on that fanbase who like to whine about being hard done by.

Maas and Farjardo will likely have an interesting chat about that situation.

Enjoy the off-season Riders !!

John T.

I blame Brendan Taman.

If I remember correctly, to make the Bombers a powerhouse for a few years he pretty much gave away years of draft picks, resulting in the Bombers having virtually no good Canadian talent for years and years after Taman left. He gave away the farm for immediate success, which never translated into a Grey Cup.

Similarly, in exchange for a few winning years, it seems that he's left behind a mess of an organization. I don't know the details, because quite frankly, I don't care that much, but it's interesting that the one common feature both the terrible Bombers of yesteryear and the terrible Riders of today have is that they let Brendan Taman run the team.

The Zipp

He last worked for the riders in 2015...that is a while ago, not saying bad decisions can't impact for years to come but teams have recovered in a shorter time than that. 

I think Craig isn't a very good HC and they don't have a QB...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on October 22, 2023, 03:19:16 AM
Realistically Dickenson should have been fired after last season...he must be fired on Monday and his brother Dave who has never missed the playoffs as HC will maybe hire him as an assistant to the assistant position coach. 

That team is clearly not coached well and hasn't been for a while.  Looks good on that fanbase who like to whine about being hard done by.

Maas and Farjardo will likely have an interesting chat about that situation.

Enjoy the off-season Riders !!

I wouldn't be surprised if Dickie #2 finds work as a STC again fairly soon, it's his area of expertise, he's well respected around the league and he's good at that job.  Like many many co-ordinators before him, such as LaPo, Richie Hall and Jeff Reinebold he's not well suited for the HC position.

Ridermania

Riders need to retool big time, were stuck in a bad financial place due to Chris Jones.

Shake things up big time across the CFL...... Kyle Walters President, Danny McManus General Manager, Buck Pierce Head Coach, all from the Bombers.

Don't blast me, the sun hasn't risen yet today!

Cool Spot

There's a lot of disagreement between Blue Bomber fans and Rider fans, but I think what most agree on is their head coach has to go. Back-to-back 6-12 records, and what I think is a continuous downhill slide, indicates the need for change.

They did catch a tough break when QB Trevor Harris went down, but he will be 38 at the start of next season. It's not that starting QBs can't have success when they are older (Henry Burris, Ricky Ray, and Damon Allen all had success in their late 30's [not to mention Tom Brady]), but it is a question mark for 1, 2, or 3 years beyond that.

dd

I dunno. The riders have done relatively well since their #1 and #2 Qb went down and have been decent with their #3 Qb for most part of the season. I think Dickie the lesser stays.... he?s very well spoken and connects with the fan base. They could do worse if they decide to clean house.

Pete

their hc and gm are toast, I'd bet they'd love to get Walters and would out bid us to get him, but a couple of questions
1. Does he want to sign elsewhere for bigger bucks? Sask would out bid us for sure, and hire a newer coach for less money.
2. Does he want to go back out east?
3. That he's not signed yet is it a OShea move where he wants to wait til the end and increase his bargaining power as bids for his services up the price?
4. Does wade miller retire and Walters move into that role?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on October 22, 2023, 05:17:53 PM
their hc and gm are toast, I'd bet they'd love to get Walters and would out bid us to get him, but a couple of questions
1. Does he want to sign elsewhere for bigger bucks? Sask would out bid us for sure, and hire a newer coach for less money.
2. Does he want to go back out east?
3. That he's not signed yet is it a OShea move where he wants to wait til the end and increase his bargaining power as bids for his services up the price?
4. Does wade miller retire and Walters move into that role?

Not too worried about Walters but he did not give a late season update after the trading deadline as he has done in the past, so maybe his status is in more flux than we can tell.  Whatever he decides to do will be his decision, as most would be happy to see him sign on for another 10 years.  Taking on the Rider challenge and committing to that franchise and city for 5 years of his life may not be appealing to him at all.  If he's happy living in Wpg. I can't see him moving on unless he's looking for more of a challenge, even though keeping a football team near the top of the heap would be a never-ending challenge.

ModAdmin

Dickensen took over a 2018 12 and 6 team in 2019.

He led the team to a 13 and 5 record in 2019 (his first year as HC).

2020 season was cancelled due to COVID.

The Riders record under his coaching has progressed downhill since 2021.

They need a head coaching change first and foremost.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 22, 2023, 05:06:55 PM
he?s very well spoken and connects with the fan base. They could do worse if they decide to clean house.

Uh, is this sarcasm?  The fans haaaaaaaaaaaate Craig.  They hate Craig more than they hated Cody, and that's major levels of hate.  Right or wrong, Craig's fault or not.  The witches must be burned, so burn they will.  Go read the Ridersforum and observe the attendance at the Saturday game...

SSK had the post-season in the bag and they let it slip away to a team that looked even worse than them for half the year.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

It's a rare moment when every fan of the league, regardless of city, is in agreement that a HC needs to be fired.  Craig is such a case.  There's no way he survives this.  His brother won't help him.  I doubt even his ST experience will help him.  There's a good chance he "pulls a Claybrooks" and disappears completely in disgrace.

It's a great case of "death by promotion", or I guess the Peter Principle, because he was ok as STC, but now will be neither STC nor anything else.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Ha ha...

Injured QB Trevor Harris trending toward ?miraculous? playoff return prior to Riders? elimination: Franchise quarterback Trevor Harris was trending towards a postseason return to the lineup prior to the Saskatchewan Roughriders?

https://3downnation.com/2023/10/22/injured-qb-trevor-harris-trending-toward-miraculous-playoff-return-prior-to-riders-elimination/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

TecnoGenius

From Riderfans forum (I cannot vouch for accuracy):

QuoteFrom Jamie Nye;

24,158 is tickets distributed for todays game. That?s the lowest attended regular season game I can find since August 19th, 2006. (And there are much fewer actually here)

That's reeeeaaaaly bad for Riderville, and it's the fans sending a message that they want the whole org gutted.

Remember, this was a home game to have a good chance at securing a playoff appearance!!  In what world do the greenies not show up in massive numbers for a playoff-critical home game?  It's actually unthinkable.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Can't resist reposting this gem from "ship" on Riderfans:

QuoteI left my game tickets on the console of my truck yesterday. Someone broke the window and left 4 more.
Never go full Rider!