BC @ Tiger-Cats - October (Friday the) 13th

Started by peg_city, October 09, 2023, 09:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_city

Wanted to start this early. Looks to be the game of the week.

Hamilton is 5-2 in their last 7 (both losses were to Toronto). The game is in Hamilton.

As we know, BC needs the win to still have a change to finish first. The BC/Stamps game the following week will be much easier for the Lions.

TecnoGenius

It actually should be a very good week for good games.

BC@HAM: BC needs the win to stay alive for WDF and they want to avenge their WPG loss; and HAM sniffs a home playoff date if they can beat MTL.  HAM always plays extra hard at home.

SSK@CGY: Both teams need this win to ensure they don't miss the playoffs.  If CGY wins they have the series and then just have to beat a WPG B-team in the final week.  SSK is thoroughly demoralized and even hardcore fans think they won't win anything else.  And CGY needs to put on a win show at home in order to sell the '24 STs.

MTL@EDM: I think EDM is eliminated, but they're on a bit of a roll and also want a good show at home for '24 ST sales.  MTL may really need this win to get a home playoff, depending on whether HAM wins the day before or not.

Even the OTT@TOR game might be good, as neither has anything to play for, but OTT has pride (unlike SSK), and TOR will be fielding the C-teams but still want a feel-good win at home.

So even though not Bomber game, it should be a fun 12 hours of TV viewing.

P.S. Friday games are overlapping, 6pm and 8:30pm.  Adjust PVRs accordingly.  I bet the end of the BC game will be more exciting than the start of the SSK game.

P.P.S. If SSK royally stinks up @CGY in a must-win game, CKRM will be lit post-game... lots of fun and tears.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Cheering for Hamilton this week and would love to see the riders slide even further into despair..."Canada's Team" looking pretty dreadful...

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: The Zipp on October 13, 2023, 03:37:02 PM
Cheering for Hamilton this week and would love to see the riders slide even further into despair..."Canada's Team" looking pretty dreadful...

I'll take the opposite approach if only because I think the Riders defensive front is actually decent and I'd rather they get 60 minutes knocking Vernon Adams around than Calgary in the the West Semi.

Blue In BC

Will be cheering for the Ti Cats tonight. That will further disrupt the Lions mojo.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 13, 2023, 04:34:12 PM
Will be cheering for the Ti Cats tonight. That will further disrupt the Lions mojo.

Should be a good game, both teams have motivation to win and it will give a good indication of where the Ti-Cats now stand in relation to the top 3 teams.  BLM looked good last week but may still be limited to playing less than half the game.  Big test for the Ti-Cat defence to see if they can hold off the Lion's passing attack, I'm betting they can't handle it well.

ModAdmin

And the Cats need to keep Betts far away from Bo!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blueforlife

Sometimes you need a fresh start

Pete

Bo doesn't look to be that invested early. he threw that ball right at the defenders head, no chance to make a completion

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Quote from: Pete on October 13, 2023, 11:19:58 PM
Bo doesn't look to be that invested early. he threw that ball right at the defenders head, no chance to make a completion
Wee bit early to make any conclusions on Bo imo

Defender did a good job with hands in way

Blueforlife

Pete

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Pete

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Looks like Hammy very thin on back end on D.  Guy down (Cross).  Looks like blew his knee.

Blueforlife

The Zipp

I dont understand what they are doing with BLM.  He was playing great...

Blueforlife

Hammy looking good

They have two good QBs and it's working great

Extremely hard for teams to prepare, adjust and defend.

Pete

Blueforlife

Lincoln Locomotive

praying for a minor miracle.....don't often cheer for the Cats who've been my most hated CFL team since the Bud Grant era
Bomber fan for life

Blueforlife

TecnoGenius

I'm delayed, only at start of 2nd Q.

I don't want BC to have a good RB and a run game.  I much preferred the no-run-game useless Mizzel guy.  I'm wondering how much of Hardy's good run game (so far, 1Q) is just a result of HAM planning for BC not to run at all.  So far BC is running waaay more than they have in weeks.  If they had this Hardy guy the whole time who knew the book, why were they still running with do-nothing Mizzel?

BC isn't really chucking it deep yet.  HAM has a great DL and very good LBers and a garbage DB corps.  So if I'm BC I'm running 30% and chucking deep 70%.  Just ignore those mid routes and short game.

HAM should be pounding it down BC's throat with 2nd-in-league Butler and their decent OL, and going for the short/mid routes when BC is bringing heat.  Don't throw deep except against the strong side corner.  Just see what WPG did in 2nd H last week and imitate that.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Lincoln Locomotive

Bomber fan for life

Pete

Hamilton had good pressure in the first half, right now Adams is getting a lot of time, he'll kill a defense if he has that.

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

Hammy killing themselves with the blind side blocks

VA looks hurt bad

The Zipp

Hamilton doesn't know how to block - great pic though  ...VAJ is hurt

The Zipp

Blueforlife

VAJ on the bike slowly might be ok

Update he looks like he can't put much weight on it

The Zipp

Wonder if the video tribute for Dane Evans had Willie and Jeffcoat owning him in the Grey Cup??

TecnoGenius

I don't know why HCs make such dumb challenges sometimes.  Do they not watch every CFL game?  The BC challenge was completely hopeless and useless.  The CFL is very consistent about calling forward progress dead, whistle at that moment or a little late.  The play is dead the instant the ref in his head thinks "dead", even if the whistle takes another 0.5s to sound.  And if the whistle sounds on time, like it did here, then you're absolutely not winning that challenge.

Campbell was being told all this by Valesi and he still challenges anyhow.  Haha.  1 for 7(?) this year.  Hahaha.

Serious question though: do some HCs not watch all the games?  MOS always says he tries to catch them.

I'm at the half and close game.  GO HAM!
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

White is one of the best players in the league

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

The Zipp

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

The Zipp

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

The Zipp

Huge penalty by former Bomber on former Bomber

Blueforlife

The Zipp

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

The Zipp

Terrible coaching on that last play...they were so far off the receivers

Horseman

From the little of the game I saw, Ham lost in the 4th by not blitzing Adams/Evans, too much time given to the BC QB's.

Blue In BC

Hamilton lost 2 DB's and had to play softer coverage. That and bad penalties cost them big time.

Thanks for nothing Ti Cats
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on October 14, 2023, 01:20:51 AM
Nice catch Whitehead (with his hands)

Ya, I think that's his best catch ever.  But he still struggles with his hands.  He botched every hands pass against us.  But nice on him getting a 1-hander!  And I agree with the refs: it was a good in-bounds catch.

He's having quite a game tonight.

After the Hollins TD to start the 4th Q, Hollins is on the sidelines and drops the B-bomb, A-bomb, and dreaded N-bomb.  I'm pretty sure the N-bomb will get him a fine.  It'll usually get you 10 yards OC too if the ref hears it.  I don't personally give a crap what he says, but rules are rules!  Haha, then he follows it up with a MF-bomb.  Haha, he did warn them to get the camera off him!!   :P :o :P :o

Wouldn't that be funny if he's suspended, appeals, and loses it just in time to miss the WDF...
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Horseman on October 14, 2023, 02:08:52 AM
From the little of the game I saw, Ham lost in the 4th by not blitzing Adams/Evans, too much time given to the BC QB's.
Yup

dd

Hollins is an idiot!! And I for one do care what he says. You?re on national television and that s the message you want to send out to Canadians. Absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Clean up your act son, He deserves a suspension

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on October 14, 2023, 04:04:43 AM
Hollins is an idiot!! And I for one do care what he says. You?re on national television and that s the message you want to send out to Canadians. Absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Clean up your act son, He deserves a suspension

He just might get one!  I believe that will be a first N-bomb caught on tv for the CFL in maybe a decade.  However, I think on-field it's only 10Y OC, so maybe a suspension is outside the realm of CBA possibilities.

They haven't been doing squat about the gun hand signs in a few years, so maybe they are getting lax on the "I'm offended" OC stuff.  Guess we shall see!!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Aw thanks for nothing HAM.  You had them by the throat there and you let it slip away.  We all knew BC was going to get the 25-30Y needed for a FG or rouge.  HAM should have gone for it on 3rd down.  Tons of time, why were they ignoring Butler against a very tired BC D?

But, we all basically knew BC was going to win, or completely implode.  Because they didn't implode it was guaranteed BC would win, as they are far better, and you can't win much playing QB-platoon.  Why not have BLM in for the final series?  Schiltz is still very new to the "QB1" role: BLM has seen everything.

So in that sense it ended how we all expected and WPG has to go earn their WDF by clobbering EDM.  Sucks a bit that we'll definitely have to roster our good players, and most likely play them most of the game.  Even if BC loses next week it'll be too late to adjust the AR.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I think VAJ is going to be ok.  They didn't show it much but I think it was just a hyperextension from another guy putting weight on the knee from above while extended.  It doesn't have to mean something blew up inside the knee.  But it can be bad, so we'll see.  You noticed VAJ testing the lateral strength/stability on the sidelines, which means he suspects something but isn't sure if it's real bad.

I really would rather face VAJ in the WDF than Evans, because we know exactly what VAJ will bring to the table and we've found a way to stop him.  Evans would be a whole new problem as there's limited film on him in BC.  Ya, we beat Evans in BC game 2, but he was still green with them.  Evans with his cannon arm is a great match for BC's crazy good R's.  And with VAJ you can always get in his head.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 14, 2023, 04:39:44 AM
I think VAJ is going to be ok.  They didn't show it much but I think it was just a hyperextension from another guy putting weight on the knee from above while extended.  It doesn't have to mean something blew up inside the knee.  But it can be bad, so we'll see.  You noticed VAJ testing the lateral strength/stability on the sidelines, which means he suspects something but isn't sure if it's real bad.

I really would rather face VAJ in the WDF than Evans, because we know exactly what VAJ will bring to the table and we've found a way to stop him.  Evans would be a whole new problem as there's limited film on him in BC.  Ya, we beat Evans in BC game 2, but he was still green with them.  Evans with his cannon arm is a great match for BC's crazy good R's.  And with VAJ you can always get in his head.
Yeah I think he will be ok.  Sounded like it post game.

Terrible behavior by Hollins, he will be fined.

TecnoGenius

It's actually a miracle HAM tied it, as relying on Leggs to make a 42+ yarder is always an adventure.  And an adventure doink it was.  Imagine if he missed it!!

Yes, HAM should have gone for it.  Screw the book; we all knew they'd lose tied with 1min left.  And HAM goes zone on the final series, and zero pressure, hahahaha.  Change the H to an L.  So many bad coaching mistakes with a home ESF on the line...
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on October 14, 2023, 04:04:43 AM

Yep, enough is enough, he also pushed the camera operator away, these idiots need to learn where their pay cheques come from, that level of abuse wouldn't be tolerated in any other work environment.  I hope the CFL makes an example of him.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 14, 2023, 05:08:46 AM
Yep, enough is enough, he also pushed the camera operator away, these idiots need to learn where their pay cheques come from, that level of abuse wouldn't be tolerated in any other work environment.  I hope the CFL makes an example of him.

Players do that from time to time, on almost every team.

I'm pretty sure whatever standard CFL contract they sign, or maybe the CBA, specify that they must accept the media in their face whenever they want.  I know F1 is like that.  As much as you suck or screwed up or hate the camera, pretty sure you have to let them do their job.  The entire game is an entertainment product, after all.

League should start fining players who push away cameras, send a memo first of course, then it will stop.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

I think we had a "N: word on camera last year, can't remember who or when... but in this case, the level of the rant and the repeated expletives that made it though to the telecast require a fine or suspension.

As to VA3's injury, the brace makes me wonder about ACL.  ACL injuries can be played through, as it just stabalizes the knee.  A brace will affect mobility, and if it is an ACL, the decision about whether playing can lead to more damage becomes important.  VA3 is BC's future, does he or the team risk his career for a shot at the cup?

Who cares which Dickenson gets the last playoff spot.  The key is we win one game of 2 against inferior opponents.  One of the Dickensons beats up BC, and they come here banged up while we are rested.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

J5V

Quote from: theaardvark on October 14, 2023, 04:21:34 PM
I think we had a "N: word on camera last year, can't remember who or when... but in this case, the level of the rant and the repeated expletives that made it though to the telecast require a fine or suspension.

As to VA3's injury, the brace makes me wonder about ACL.  ACL injuries can be played through, as it just stabalizes the knee.  A brace will affect mobility, and if it is an ACL, the decision about whether playing can lead to more damage becomes important.  VA3 is BC's future, does he or the team risk his career for a shot at the cup?

Who cares which Dickenson gets the last playoff spot.  The key is we win one game of 2 against inferior opponents.  One of the Dickensons beats up BC, and they come here banged up while we are rested.
I like your analysis. Adams knee did not look good. I'm reading that its indeed a re-injury of his ACL. They strapped a brace on it and while it may stabilize the knee he looked to be in considerable pain. He was slow-peddling the bike but as soon as he tested it by putting some weight on it you could see him grimacing in pain. I think we see Evans for BC the rest of the way this regular season.
Go Bombers!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 14, 2023, 08:52:18 AM
Players do that from time to time, on almost every team.

I'm pretty sure whatever standard CFL contract they sign, or maybe the CBA, specify that they must accept the media in their face whenever they want.  I know F1 is like that.  As much as you suck or screwed up or hate the camera, pretty sure you have to let them do their job.  The entire game is an entertainment product, after all.

League should start fining players who push away cameras, send a memo first of course, then it will stop.
Definitely should be fined for physically putting your hands on any game official or in this case media personnel. Bigger picture pinhead, they?re trying to sell the game you?re playing so we can help the league grow. Acting like a punk should be covered off in a cfl code of conduct policy and dealt with accordingly

Horseman

With an ACL injury (I had two of them) the brace only stabilizes the knee well enough to walk on it, as soon as you start running in a straight line maybe okay. but when you try to make a cut to change direction the brace does not help and you go down in a heap quickly.

J5V

Quote from: Horseman on October 14, 2023, 07:15:07 PM
With an ACL injury (I had two of them) the brace only stabilizes the knee well enough to walk on it, as soon as you start running in a straight line maybe okay. but when you try to make a cut to change direction the brace does not help and you go down in a heap quickly.
He also looked to be in a fair amount of pain. Makes me think the damage is worse than feared. Either way, VAJ without his legs will not be effective. I expect to see Evans.
Go Bombers!

dd

If Adams is out bc is in trouble, they ll get by Calgary with Evans taking the snaps but the bombers have his number and we ll kill them at home in the wdf

TecnoGenius

ACL people: can you confirm or not that except for the initial pop there isn't much pain after a while?  He was definitely doing the pain grimace thing.

Can a hyperextension cause ACL?  I did the slowmo computer thing on the play and it really didn't look too bad, compared to similar hits in the past.  However, if he had a weak knee already from past injuries, I suppose even a weak action could cause a really bad outcome.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I really really hope VAJ is ok.  If he's not in for the WDF then all other league fans will say we didn't earn our GC appearance, and the main reason we beat BC was VAJ was on IR.  They'll do the ol' asterisk-win thing to us again.  I wanted to really earn our GC by having to stand against the best, and triumph.

He has 3 whole weeks to heal before the WSF.  And since even I could probably beat either SSK or CGY as the QB of BC, VAJ could rest for the WSF.  So he has 4 whole weeks to heal before he has to have the game of his life to beat us.  If it's not a full tear of something, he could possibly/probably return, even if a bit less mobile.

Remember AH33 in '21 when his late-season knee injury had most thinking he was done for the year, but he came in and performed well in the playoffs.  That could be VAJ.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 14, 2023, 11:47:02 PM
I really really hope VAJ is ok.  If he's not in for the WDF then all other league fans will say we didn't earn our GC appearance, and the main reason we beat BC was VAJ was on IR.  They'll do the ol' asterisk-win thing to us again.  I wanted to really earn our GC by having to stand against the best, and triumph.

He has 3 whole weeks to heal before the WSF.  And since even I could probably beat either SSK or CGY as the QB of BC, VAJ could rest for the WSF.  So he has 4 whole weeks to heal before he has to have the game of his life to beat us.  If it's not a full tear of something, he could possibly/probably return, even if a bit less mobile.

Remember AH33 in '21 when his late-season knee injury had most thinking he was done for the year, but he came in and performed well in the playoffs.  That could be VAJ.
Lets beat Edmonton first....then we can worry about who we face in the WF.    Edmonton will come here to be spoilers and they can be a handful at times.....yes we will need our top squad to play and secure our home berth in the WF.    Yeah was hoping the Cats could pull it off......however Evans to his credit did his job and marched them into FG position.    White doesn't miss many and Leggz doinked one off the goal post and in to tie it......but with a minute left in the game you just knew BC would win it
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

So seeing what happened to VAJ, injured on an INT return chase... should (or have) we give Zach strict instructions to not give chase in such situations??  If I'm BC, I'm so depressed because VAJ got injured on such a useless thing, far far away from the ball with no chance of affecting the return, it was just all so pointless.

If I'm MOS I'm telling Zach that if he INTs, just put his arms up in the air and stand still, or go fetal on the turf, or if you're near the sidelines, just saunter OOB.  Do not run into a mob of 5 other players in the middle of chaos.  Willie J can give you pointers on how not to get involved in high injury-risk plays: listen to him.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 14, 2023, 11:56:17 PM
So seeing what happened to VAJ, injured on an INT return chase... should (or have) we give Zach strict instructions to not give chase in such situations??  If I'm BC, I'm so depressed because VAJ got injured on such a useless thing, far far away from the ball with no chance of affecting the return, it was just all so pointless.

If I'm MOS I'm telling Zach that if he INTs, just put his arms up in the air and stand still, or go fetal on the turf, or if you're near the sidelines, just saunter OOB.  Do not run into a mob of 5 other players in the middle of chaos.  Willie J can give you pointers on how not to get involved in high injury-risk plays: listen to him.

Zach is in no danger of getting injured on a tackle, he usually lays on the ground and stares at the sky after throwing an interception.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 15, 2023, 12:35:42 AM
Zach is in no danger of getting injured on a tackle, he usually lays on the ground and stares at the sky after throwing an interception.

Wasn't there one game in the last 1.5 years where Zach chased down an INT returner and he was the only guy who could get him and he did?

I'd prefer the laying-on-the-ground approach.  He's too valuable.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on October 14, 2023, 04:21:34 PM

I don't really recall.  Do you remember if anyone got a fine over it?

In the Saturday games GDT I spotted another N-bomb, but this one is "friendly", I suppose.  We shall see if the league does anything, fines, memos, whatever.  Maybe the nastiness/egregiousness context will come into play.  I suppose they could always just let it all slide and memo the teams to reign it in when on-camera to sanitize the broadcast.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 15, 2023, 02:13:55 AM
I don't really recall.  Do you remember if anyone got a fine over it?

In the Saturday games GDT I spotted another N-bomb, but this one is "friendly", I suppose.  We shall see if the league does anything, fines, memos, whatever.  Maybe the nastiness/egregiousness context will come into play.  I suppose they could always just let it all slide and memo the teams to reign it in when on-camera to sanitize the broadcast.

What are the NFL standards?  Would they televise a player spewing profanities and being abusive to a camera person doing their job?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 15, 2023, 04:52:16 AM
What are the NFL standards?  Would they televise a player spewing profanities and being abusive to a camera person doing their job?

Well, in cases like this where it's all live and they don't have any swear-button time-delay, neither league can do anything about it at the moment.  What they should have done is on the first swear they should have hit the mute button, much like they did earlier in the year.  You know when they swear once there's a good chance it's going to get worse.  They let him pop off a handful of whatever-bombs before the N-bomb appeared.  Someone was asleep at the button.

Earlier this season they were either not having audio on sideline guys having made big plays, or they would allow a couple of words to get the tone and then cut them off quickly.  I noticed it at the time and didn't like it.  I like hearing guys after making big plays, even with the potty mouths.  And it's not fair that the cam is on them and they are talking but CFL has them muted the whole time, because the player doesn't know they are muted and they look a bit silly.

Looking at the net, it appears the NFL gives a zero tolerance 15Y flag for racial slurs.  Of course, the ref has to hear it.  Maybe NFL fans can elaborate.  I only watch the playoffs, and never listen to the panels.
Never go full Rider!