Edmonton @ Winnipeg Pre Game

Started by Pigskin, October 08, 2023, 09:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

This is the final home game of the regular season. Would be nice to fill the house one more time before the playoffs. Win this one and we wrap up 1st place in the West.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

peg_city

What's odd about this game is it could mean first place or absolutely nothing because BC plays twice before we play Edmonton.

Blueforlife

Interesting never thought about that.  Would be nice to have it wrapped up so we could see DT Dru Brown and other backups get reps.

dd

We gotta win this game and not rely on getting first by other teams losing. Fate is in our hands, put the hammer down and win. Edmonton on the other hand has nothing to play for, they ain?t making the playoffs no matter what they do.

Jesse

Quote from: dd on October 08, 2023, 11:31:35 PM
We gotta win this game and not rely on getting first by other teams losing. Fate is in our hands, put the hammer down and win. Edmonton on the other hand has nothing to play for, they ain?t making the playoffs no matter what they do.

BC plays twice before our next game.

If they lose once, our game is meaningless. If they win both, then we have to play to win.

I honestly do hope we have something to play for. I'm not a fan of resting guys for too long before play-offs start.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on October 09, 2023, 12:36:14 AM
BC plays twice before our next game.

If they lose once, our game is meaningless. If they win both, then we have to play to win.

I honestly do hope we have something to play for. I'm not a fan of resting guys for too long before play-offs start.
I agree with this here as well.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

If we clinch it then I'm resting everyone we can or who wants to or who is nicked.  We have the same conversation every year since 2019.

And MOS has generally found a good balance.  He knows the real goal.  Even winning at home in garbage-season isn't important, unlike...

TOR: I think they been making mistakes, trying to win at home for their fans, and getting Oullette's ankle more injured in the process, and Kelly taking some big sacks too.  MOS is smarter.

I would like to see Demski get 1000Y though.  A couple of ~35 yard games should do it.  And his spot isn't one we'd normally bench anyhow, so I'm not being hypocritical.  I really see no reason to have Zach and Brady play more than 1Q, and Schoen probably needs rest.  Maybe rest some DBs?  I would like to see a bunch of PR guys get live game reps, certainly in the most-likely-meaningless final game.

And based on what everyone said in the PR-equals-cut thread, I guess a ton of guys will mysterious come down with turf toe or dysentery for those games.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 09, 2023, 02:02:17 AM
If we clinch it then I'm resting everyone we can or who wants to or who is nicked.  We have the same conversation every year since 2019.

And MOS has generally found a good balance.  He knows the real goal.  Even winning at home in garbage-season isn't important, unlike...

TOR: I think they been making mistakes, trying to win at home for their fans, and getting Oullette's ankle more injured in the process, and Kelly taking some big sacks too.  MOS is smarter.

I would like to see Demski get 1000Y though.  A couple of ~35 yard games should do it.  And his spot isn't one we'd normally bench anyhow, so I'm not being hypocritical.  I really see no reason to have Zach and Brady play more than 1Q, and Schoen probably needs rest.  Maybe rest some DBs?  I would like to see a bunch of PR guys get live game reps, certainly in the most-likely-meaningless final game.

And based on what everyone said in the PR-equals-cut thread, I guess a ton of guys will mysterious come down with turf toe or dysentery for those games.
Yup rest them vets

Stretch

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 09, 2023, 02:02:17 AM

I would like to see Demski get 1000Y though.  A couple of ~35 yard games should do it. 

Actually, one 21-yard game will do that since he's currently at 979 yards.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on October 09, 2023, 04:32:32 AM
Actually, one 21-yard game will do that since he's currently at 979 yards.

Bonus!  For some reason I don't recall him doing much of anything in the air in BC, but I guess he got a couple of little ones.  I definitely need to rewatch the @BC game as clearly the crazy emotional rollercoaster has clouded my memory synapses.  :-X :P ??? :P

This is one of those games where watching the 1st H is depressing and the 2nd H delightful.  We've had a few of those over the years (and the reverse...).
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Nic's numbers have been all over the map this season.  Sask. 8 yards, Hamilton 137, Toronto 32, and BC 16.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on October 10, 2023, 02:05:03 PM
Nic's numbers have been all over the map this season.  Sask. 8 yards, Hamilton 137, Toronto 32, and BC 16.

Yep, hard to get many passes thrown his way with Dalton and Kenny on the field.  He recorded most of those yards early in the season before Lawler's return.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 10, 2023, 04:15:17 PM
Yep, hard to get many passes thrown his way with Dalton and Kenny on the field.  He recorded most of those yards early in the season before Lawler's return.

Aside from week one, Demski never broke 80 yards before Lawler's return. Most of his production has come after, though he has been quiet the last couple of games.
My wife is amazing!

3rdand1.5

We put on a few weeks of successful long balls to Lawler, Demski and Schoen. Teams have worked on eliminating those from us, and we have moved more to short/intermediate passes and Olivera. One of the great things about this offence is, at least in theory, take away the run and short game we have the horses and the QB to kill you deep. Take away the deep game and we have the maulers and grinders to wear you down in the short game. Very few times has a team shut down both.

At any rate it would be great to see Lawler and Demski hit 1000yrds...Demski should...Lawler tough 127 average a game....unlikely but

Blue In BC

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on October 10, 2023, 04:55:22 PM
We put on a few weeks of successful long balls to Lawler, Demski and Schoen. Teams have worked on eliminating those from us, and we have moved more to short/intermediate passes and Olivera. One of the great things about this offence is, at least in theory, take away the run and short game we have the horses and the QB to kill you deep. Take away the deep game and we have the maulers and grinders to wear you down in the short game. Very few times has a team shut down both.

At any rate it would be great to see Lawler and Demski hit 1000yrds...Demski should...Lawler tough 127 average a game....unlikely but

Our offence throws up quite a few 50 / 50 balls and our receivers are good at coming down with them. However, Collaros is under more immediate pressure in some games and doesn't have the time to always be as accurate as he likes.

I have no problem with losing some of those. It comes with the territory. As you mentioned our offence can pound opponents with the run game or short and medium passes. We're at the top or 2nd to the top in scoring. I understand the frustration with turnovers but we've played against some good and aggressive defences.
2019 Grey Cup Champions