Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Hamilton, September 16, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, September 15, 2023, 06:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Perhaps a signature game to show the pasting the Bombers gave the Riders last week was not a one-off.

Hamilton appears to have several injured - listed out for the game, Richard Leonard and Dylan Wynn.  James Butler and Tunde Adeleke are listed as questionable.

Winnipeg's injury list shows Jeremy Murphy out for this game and Jesse Briggs and Jackson Jeffcoat as questionable.

Ed Tait's 48-Hour Primer is here - https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/09/14/48-hour-primer-wpg-at-ham-4/

Officially...

In for the Bombers:  #45 Haba, #96 Schmekel

Out for the Bombers:  #87 Murphy, #94 Jeffcoat

Blue Bomber Depth Chart https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1702683517501505541/photo/1

Should be a winnable game for the Blue if they bring the same determination as in the BB game.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

The Basics

Kickoff: Saturday, 3 p.m. CDT; Tim Hortons Field

TV:
TSN 1/3
U.S. and international live streaming: https://www.cfl.ca/plus

Radio: 680 CJOB

Last meeting: These two clubs met in Week 1 of this year, a 42-31 win by the Blue Bombers back on June 9th at IG Field.

PlayNow odds: The Blue Bombers are favoured by 6.5 points. For more betting options on this game, click here.

Blue Bomber Roster Notes

The Blue Bombers have made two changes to their depth chart this week, bringing on defensive end Celestin Haba and defensive tackle Tanner Schmekel with end Jackson Jeffcoat and receiver Jeremy Murphy coming out of the lineup. Murphy has been moved to the six-game injured list. Jeffcoat practised on Wednesday before Thursday's closed session, so it's uncertain if he became injured, has taken ill or is out for personal reasons. Worth noting: Jeffcoat was placed on the one-game injured list, not the six-game list. An update will come later today from O?Shea at his media session upon the team?s arrival in Ontario.

Haba has dressed for six games this year, including two starts for Jeffcoat back in June, and has nine tackles, three sacks, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in those half dozen games.

Schmekel has dressed for three games this season but has not been in the lineup since Week 3.

Aside from Jeffcoat being on the one-game injured list and Murphy moved to the six-game list, the rest of the wounded includes WR/Kr Janarion Grant, LBs Shayne Gauthier and Jared Beeksma, Dime Alden Darby, Jr., DE Thiadric Hansen, FB Mile Miller and CB Desmond Lawrence - all on the six-game.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Yup
Roster shows Haba in for Jeffcoat
Murphy not listed
Schmekel backup to Walker

Anyone have info on Schmekel? Stats?

ModAdmin

the.inkster

Did Jeffcoat get injured on a specific play last week,  or is it a lingering issue he's dealing with?
IMHO losing him mid-game in last year's GC was when the game turned for the worst. Not saying it was the singular reason why we lost, but he is a major contributor when he's healthy. Hope this extended time off will give him s chance to heal up - we'll need him for a deep playoff run.

Pigskin

Quote from: the.inkster on September 15, 2023, 07:12:15 PM
Did Jeffcoat get injured on a specific play last week,  or is it a lingering issue he's dealing with?
IMHO losing him mid-game in last year's GC was when the game turned for the worst. Not saying it was the singular reason why we lost, but he is a major contributor when he's healthy. Hope this extended time off will give him s chance to heal up - we'll need him for a deep playoff run.

Went to the practice on Wednesday. JJ94 did receive some extra attention by the training staff before practice. He did take part in most of the drills if not all. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

pjrocksmb

Jeffcoat having problems with hips.

I expect another big game from Kramdi.

Blue In BC

Jeffcoat has already missed 2 games and part of another. IIRC it was his hip that limited his games in 2022. Hopefully it won't keep him out longer than this game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 15, 2023, 10:14:07 PM
Jeffcoat has already missed 2 games and part of another. IIRC it was his hip that limited his games in 2022. Hopefully it won't keep him out longer than this game.

Don't mind if Jeffcoat misses multiple games at this time of the season, as long as he's healthy and ready to go for the playoffs.  If smart the Bombers could use the opportunity to test drive some of the new D-line prospects to see if they are worth bringing back next year.

bwiser

With the Riders losing last night the Bombers can clinch a home playoff game today with a win.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 15, 2023, 10:14:07 PM

Lots here on the situation with Haba/Jeffcoat https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/09/15/the-playbook-wpg-at-ham/

John T.

I'm worried about this game.

I was at the September Bomber/Ticat game in Hamilton last year that the Ticats won 48-31, coming after the Labour Day/Banjo Bowl wins. The Bombers let down.

I will say that Tim Hortons Field is a great, great place to watch a football game. It's not fancy, but the sightlines are great and on a sunny day there's no better place to be. Hamilton has great fans, too. If the Bombers had to lose to anyone, I'd rather it be Hamilton than anyone else.

The Zipp

Quote from: John T. on September 16, 2023, 04:45:22 PM
I'm worried about this game.

I was at the September Bomber/Ticat game in Hamilton last year that the Ticats won 48-31, coming after the Labour Day/Banjo Bowl wins. The Bombers let down.

I will say that Tim Hortons Field is a great, great place to watch a football game. It's not fancy, but the sightlines are great and on a sunny day there's no better place to be. Hamilton has great fans, too. If the Bombers had to lose to anyone, I'd rather it be Hamilton than anyone else.

Agreed...the inconsistency in performance from the bombers is a bit troubling...they shouldn't have lost the two OT games against sub par teams.  They are still miles above most in talent but this game shouldn't be close and it likely will be