Andrew Harris run & MTL@TOR GDT

Started by TecnoGenius, September 10, 2023, 03:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on September 11, 2023, 04:42:32 PM
AH33 did not decide to walk to make more money, he walked because Pinball didn't ask him to work out or have a physical before signing him.  All Walters wanted was for AH33 to come in for an assessment before signing him. 

After he showed up to camp out of shape the year before, a totally reasonable request.  AH33 made his decision to not come in.  And Pinball gave him an out.

Not sure he would have "happily" backed up BO20... Ouilette is a beast and carved out the starting spot in TOR and has shared it with AH33.  Not sure how well that would have went with BO20 taking the majority of the reps.  No doubt he would share, but I wonder if AH33 would have been as "gracious" here...

I am pretty sure Ah received more money from Toronto then the Bomber were offering him here. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on September 11, 2023, 05:06:17 PM
I am pretty sure Ah received more money from Toronto then the Bomber were offering him here. 

The amount the Bombers offered for "sight unseen" AH33 was below what he signed for in TOR, yes.  The amount AH33 could have earned here had he reported and passed a physical/workout was probably the same or higher than he got in TOR.  And after expenses, a lot more.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on September 11, 2023, 05:23:51 PM
The amount the Bombers offered for "sight unseen" AH33 was below what he signed for in TOR, yes.  The amount AH33 could have earned here had he reported and passed a physical/workout was probably the same or higher than he got in TOR.  And after expenses, a lot more.

As far as I recall, there was no "sight unseen" number. If he met all the conditions, he would be offered a contract that paid him less than Brady and Johnny. So around 90k.

He signed for 165k in TO, I believe.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on September 11, 2023, 05:40:45 PM
As far as I recall, there was no "sight unseen" number. If he met all the conditions, he would be offered a contract that paid him less than Brady and Johnny. So around 90k.

I heard he was offered $125K in Winnipeg, but you could be right.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 11, 2023, 06:54:57 PM

I think you're right, they wouldn't offer Harris money below Brady as he had not established himself yet. 

A big contract for Brady next season still comes in below $175k, they don't have to offer the amount top receivers are now earning because there is no lack of supply of good Import RB's that will play for base wages.  An example, the Ti-Cats stole highly sought after James Butler from the Lions for $125,800.

theaardvark

Pretty sure he did not receive a "if conditions are met" offer... he refused to workout, and the Bombers extended him an "insulting" sight unseen offer.  Pinball ponied up a contract without any conditions, and AH33 took it.  

BO20 and JA27 both accepted contracts between AH33 being asked to workout, and him signing in TOR.  

If he had just come in for a workout, he would have been offered the first contract, I have no doubt.  

All that said, I am sooo happy he did not come in.  We might have lost BO20, and he's going to win MOC this year, and maybe MOP...  while it would have been nice for AH33 to lay out his career here, I'll take BO20 for the next 5-10 years instead, please.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

If it's around $165 then that's very generous and no wonder he went and took it.  Plus Pinball showed him the utmost respect after the "dis" from KW et al, deserved or not.  Stroking the ego never hurts when signing a player.

But hey, it all worked out in the end.  We got Brady and have a very affordable and #1 RB corps.  AH got his payday and respect and another ring and brought some morale and motivation to TOR.  Everyone's happy.  Even me, who loves both WPG and AH33.

I just hope we deny him his 5th ring this GC.  I think TOR is getting too cocky and it'll cost them.  I was fine with him screwing us over in 2022, but this year we get our revenge.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

CGY@EDM game, Awe interview @halftime:

"They're trying to be a little bit like WPG, so maybe they're getting some plays from WPG, all those guys over there, Stanley Bryant, maybe they're talking to them, I don't know"

Hahaha  That's awesome.  If a team has a good run game they must be taking tips from WPG.   8) 8) 8)

Weird, all these years and I don't think I've ever seen TSN pick Awe to interview.  He seems like a super smart and with-it LB, as well as talented.  I think he might be a good fit here, should we ever have the need; although he's no spring chicken either.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Haha, oops.  I tout Awe and then he dirty hits Ford later in the game.  Awe has always played a little close to the edge.  I guess he hasn't stopped.  Oh well, forget about MOS locker room material with that guy...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on September 11, 2023, 06:54:57 PM

Andrew was very vocal that it was an insult to be offered to be the lowest paid guy in the room.

Both Brady and Johnny are making around 100k.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 12, 2023, 02:42:07 AM
Haha, oops.  I tout Awe and then he dirty hits Ford later in the game.  Awe has always played a little close to the edge.  I guess he hasn't stopped.  Oh well, forget about MOS locker room material with that guy...

I've seen Awe do interviews, he's well spoken and intelligent, but when he puts on a helmet he turns into a crazy person. 

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on September 12, 2023, 11:35:41 AM
Andrew was very vocal that it was an insult to be offered to be the lowest paid guy in the room.

I understand that Andrew was insulted by the offer.  But he can't think that any player refusing a workout/physical would not garner a non-insulting offer, can he?  Regardless past performance.  Just the refusal is a big enough red flag.  It says either he is injured/out of shape (past history repeated) or he is too special to need to subject himself to it (even though he was here, and it would have taken a morning, tops).

Be it hubris or ego, he made his bed.  Pinball bought the AH33 brand, and was short shrifted on #games, (only 8 games played) but got a cup, so you can't fault his gamble.

We got BO20 for a full year of development (18 games, 1000+ yards) into a back who could one day eclipse AH33 in this town.  And leads the league as a RB.   

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 12, 2023, 03:34:38 PM
I've seen Awe do interviews, he's well spoken and intelligent, but when he puts on a helmet he turns into a crazy person

Ya, it's the weirdest thing.  Then there's a guy like Simoni, who is the same on field or off.  But Awe is like Jekyll & Hyde.  I'm not sure I can think of another player who changes persona so drastically.  If he could reign it in, maybe he'd be MOS material.  That's a big, probably impossible, if.
Never go full Rider!

GCn19

Quote from: theaardvark on September 11, 2023, 08:32:40 PM
Pretty sure he did not receive a "if conditions are met" offer... he refused to workout, and the Bombers extended him an "insulting" sight unseen offer.  Pinball ponied up a contract without any conditions, and AH33 took it.  

BO20 and JA27 both accepted contracts between AH33 being asked to workout, and him signing in TOR.  

If he had just come in for a workout, he would have been offered the first contract, I have no doubt.  

All that said, I am sooo happy he did not come in.  We might have lost BO20, and he's going to win MOC this year, and maybe MOP...  while it would have been nice for AH33 to lay out his career here, I'll take BO20 for the next 5-10 years instead, please.

No sight unseen number at all. He had one contract offer and that was pending a physical that he refused to take. Andrew Harris discussed it at length in his interview afterwards.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GCn19

Quote from: Jesse on September 12, 2023, 11:35:41 AM

He did a full interview about it, and that indeed was Andrew's side of the story. Bombers offered him a contract to be lowest paid RB in the room and would depend on him passing a physical. Seems the Bombers knew the tank was empty.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.