Ejections

Started by theaardvark, September 10, 2023, 01:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Mack gets ejected for a punch, Beggleton doesn't?

Eye in the Sky gotta fix this...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 10, 2023, 01:16:07 AM

My other-game watching is right at the Mack ejection.  What a joke.  That was 1/5th the force that Zach suffered in LDC.  And they eject Mack for that?  It was more a push than a punch.  Weak sauce.

If they had ejected Robertson for the Zach hit the other day, then I'd be fine with Mack getting ejected, but since they didn't, I'm not.  The standards are all over the place, which means there is no standard.

2 extra points:

1. Mack's hand brushes the lady ref in the neck area after the punch as he's being roughed by TOR players.  I wonder if contact with the ref factored into the ejection.  I don't think it was intentional, but the lady did get pushed around a bit.  This could be grounds for upgrade of the semi-weak punch/push from UR to DQ.

2. Refs missed that when the ball was (perceived) loose (i.e. fumble) the TOR guy was obstructing (holding, mostly) Mack from getting to it, which is illegal on a fumble.  Mack had every right to make a run for that ball.  He was pretty close, too.  They didn't know at the time that it didn't matter.

"He's gone from the game", hehehe, sounds like something Proulx would say.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I'm nowhere close to getting to the CGY game on the PVR, so I can only imagine what the Begelton thing you're talking about is.  From the sounds of it I'm gonna be angry!  Good, I like being angry!  :o ;D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Also, Ellingson 6GIR again... I think that will have to be the end of him.  He's been tub-man for at least 3 seasons now.  He's the new Nick Moore.  Time to retire a Tigercat or a Rodblack.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Wow, TOR game, 2Q13:29 during the failed 3rd&1, #3TOR and #40MTL are having an actual fistfight.  They both get misconducts, but there were actual punches being thrown.  Worse stuff than the Mack push.  The live shot is the best.

And it wasn't after the play, as Major says, it was before the whistle.  So at least they kept it within the play, which might have saved their bacon.  Plus, harder to eject a player from each team on the same play.  Keep that up and there'll be no players left in the game!

I wonder why TOR/MTL are so fired up.  Not a big rivalry game, and MTL must know they have no hope.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 10, 2023, 01:44:39 AM
Also, Ellingson 6GIR again... I think that will have to be the end of him.  He's been tub-man for at least 3 seasons now.  He's the new Nick Moore.  Time to retire a Tigercat or a Rodblack.
Ya we were smart moving on from him, old bones take longer to heal.

TecnoGenius

So I noted the other day how the league never flags pistol/gun hand signs anymore.

What about the universal sign for "I want a flag"?  That happens basically every game.  Just happened in the MTL@TOR game.

The receivers are well coached not to do that, but many other positions make the signal all the time.  So do rookies.

I always thought it was a dumb rule, but it is a rule, and they used to strictly enforce it.  If they are going to ignore it, like they are pistol signs, then make it official and drop it from the rulebook.  The worst case is if they selectively enforce it, because that introduces bias.

I haven't seen a pistol flag in maybe 4 seasons, and "flag" sign flag in 5.  Enforce them or drop them.  Otherwise it's just a joke, as they are getting stricter (today) on hit ejections, whilst ignoring other (OC) rules.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Both Mack and Beggleton should have been ejected. Throw a punch, get a hot shower.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 10, 2023, 02:51:44 PM
Both Mack and Beggleton should have been ejected. Throw a punch, get a hot shower.

Agreed.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 10, 2023, 02:31:04 AM
So I noted the other day how the league never flags pistol/gun hand signs anymore.

What about the universal sign for "I want a flag"?  That happens basically every game.  Just happened in the MTL@TOR game.

The receivers are well coached not to do that, but many other positions make the signal all the time.  So do rookies.

I always thought it was a dumb rule, but it is a rule, and they used to strictly enforce it.  If they are going to ignore it, like they are pistol signs, then make it official and drop it from the rulebook.  The worst case is if they selectively enforce it, because that introduces bias.

I haven't seen a pistol flag in maybe 4 seasons, and "flag" sign flag in 5.  Enforce them or drop them.  Otherwise it's just a joke, as they are getting stricter (today) on hit ejections, whilst ignoring other (OC) rules.
It?s not a dumb rule. Players play and refs ref. Players tossing imaginary flags is disrespectful to the officials and should be called every play. So should players who headbutt opposing players ?getting in their face? they?re objectionable conduct in every sense of the word.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 11, 2023, 12:40:38 AM
It?s not a dumb rule. Players play and refs ref. Players tossing imaginary flags is disrespectful to the officials and should be called every play. So should players who headbutt opposing players ?getting in their face? they?re objectionable conduct in every sense of the word.

Ya, but for years now I've seen refs staring right at the players tossing their imaginary flags, and doing their gun-shooting signals, and they don't flag any of it.  Clearly a memo has gone out saying don't flag those.  Both would "reduce O", and we all know that's the big sin in today's CFL.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 11, 2023, 05:18:23 AM
Ya, but for years now I've seen refs staring right at the players tossing their imaginary flags, and doing their gun-shooting signals, and they don't flag any of it.  Clearly a memo has gone out saying don't flag those.  Both would "reduce O", and we all know that's the big sin in today's CFL.

Craig Roh used to be flagged for this celebration, I have no idea why but I think they were trying to crack down on the depiction of weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8j_f2Ur3o&ab_channel=ChelseaRoh

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 11, 2023, 03:31:22 PM
Craig Roh used to be flagged for this celebration, I have no idea why but I think they were trying to crack down on the depiction of weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8j_f2Ur3o&ab_channel=ChelseaRoh

Did he get one in that instance?

I've seen lots of guns flagged like 5-8 years ago.  I'm not sure about swords??  You're saying Roh got some penalties for the swords?

What I've never seen flagged is archery.  Acklin's bow & arrow never gets flagged.

So there you have it.  If you want to imaginarily kill something, use archery!   ::) :P :P ::) ::) ;D   And if you want to use sharp objects, maybe try fencing instead of longswords?   8) 8) 8)
Never go full Rider!

dd

I think they should call anything that is disrespectful towards the other team, and that would include death by archery. But heck, it doesn?t surprise me, they  don?t call head shots half the time

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 10, 2023, 01:16:07 AM

Just got to that part.  Wow.  a) I've never seen Reggie lose his poop like that, so he moves down a notch in my eyes.  b) It is truly insane that on the same day of ball games you have EITS eject one player but not the other for the exact same punch.  And you can't say it's because of player importance or position, because these were both WRs that are the superstars on their respective teams.

Why not this: if you punch or headbutt an opponent and it's caught on camera, you're ejected.  Period.

EDM could use the extra 10y an ejection would buy them.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 12, 2023, 02:03:57 AM
Just got to that part.  Wow.  a) I've never seen Reggie lose his poop like that, so he moves down a notch in my eyes.  b) It is truly insane that on the same day of ball games you have EITS eject one player but not the other for the exact same punch.  And you can't say it's because of player importance or position, because these were both WRs that are the superstars on their respective teams.

Why not this: if you punch or headbutt an opponent and it's caught on camera, you're ejected.  Period.

EDM could use the extra 10y an ejection would buy them.

Well, one WAS plying against the Argos...

Conspiracy people, discuss...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

CFL should toughen up their penalties for multiple time offenders, missing a game or 3 with no pay might help them to learn to play within the lines of the rule book.

Micah Awe has the following disciplinary history:
- Week 13 2017 - Fined for 2 illegal hits in 1 game
- Week 18 2022 - Fined for a high hit
- Week 6 2023 -Fined for a high hit on Mason Fine
- Week 7 2023 - Fined for a high hit on Crum

"Stampeders LB Micah Awe fined for high hit on QB for third time in 2023

Also receiving fines for incidents last week was Montreal Alouettes? receiver Austin Mack, who was ejected from his game for striking Toronto Argonauts defensive back Qwan?tez Stiggers. Calgary receiver Reggie Begelton and Edmonton defensive back Ed Gainey were fined for a similar altercation in their game, though neither was ejected.

Additionally, Elks defensive back Loucheiz Purifoy and linebacker Nyles Morgan were both punished for high hits against Stampeders players."

https://3downnation.com/2023/09/14/stampeders-lb-micah-awe-fined-for-high-hit-on-qb-for-third-time-in-2023/