Banjo Bowl Pre-GDT

Started by Pigskin, September 04, 2023, 06:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Derek Taylor
@DTonOB
?
12m
O?Shea confirms that LB Malik Clements will return on Saturday to (my words) crush souls on special teams.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on September 07, 2023, 07:07:11 PM
I would have also given up the single point and bet on our O to get a couple of first downs and run out the clock, kick a field or single to force them to score TD to tie or beat us with pretty much no time on the clock. That was a terrible 2 and out.

It really was in so many ways.

The Zipp

Clements, Hanson and Haba back would be huuuuuge

Pigskin

It was a closed practice today. Would have been interesting to see, who was on the field, and what they were doing. Blackmon, mite need more then 2 practices. That would leave us with Parker.

Nice to see Clements back, he was having a good year before his injury. Haba and Hansen, both looked ready go on Monday.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 07, 2023, 03:00:38 PM
We were ahead 4 points with just under 2 minutes in a LDC.   Then MOS declines a no yards penalty giving up that valuable point so he can scrimmage from the 40 YL instead of the 30 YL.   Then we go tow and out and punt allowing another big return and the rest is history.    MOS finally admitted that he might do that differently as the no yards call in the end zone was a gift.   

Quote from: buckzumhoff on September 07, 2023, 03:20:22 PM
That wasn't good for only 10 yards 1 point. Never give up a point unless you start from the 20 or less or can't get out of your endzone

I don't know where you guys are getting 10 yards.  I think we're talking about the final rouge?  The non-penalty one?  Going by memory I think it would have been caught around the 10YL.  Cover teams were pretty close already.  We were averaging 8 yard returns I think?  I bet we get 5-10 on the return.  So you're trading 1 point for 20-25 yards.  AND taking the rouge gets you out of the shadow of the EZ and potential safety touch by the QB or subsequent punt punter.

MOS gambled we'd have a drive and kill the clock.  He put the game on the O.  The O let us down (2&out).  We lose.

The alternative was to field the ball, get to the 20, punt to the opposite 45, give up a 25y return, which puts the other team at our 40.  You really want to put the game on our D at that moment to stop a TD from our 40?  Heck, the overtime series shows what would have happened.  So if we field that ball we outright lose instead of get a mini-game to try to regain our composure.

Given these choices most HCs would choose to own their fate and rely on their O, not their D.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

looks like Streveler will be on hand for the banjo bowl signing autographs! Let the rumors begin...or rather keep on going depending on your perspective

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 07, 2023, 09:13:35 PM
I don't know where you guys are getting 10 yards.  I think we're talking about the final rouge?  The non-penalty one?  Going by memory I think it would have been caught around the 10YL.  Cover teams were pretty close already.  We were averaging 8 yard returns I think?  I bet we get 5-10 on the return.  So you're trading 1 point for 20-25 yards.  AND taking the rouge gets you out of the shadow of the EZ and potential safety touch by the QB or subsequent punt punter.

MOS gambled we'd have a drive and kill the clock.  He put the game on the O.  The O let us down (2&out).  We lose.

The alternative was to field the ball, get to the 20, punt to the opposite 45, give up a 25y return, which puts the other team at our 40.  You really want to put the game on our D at that moment to stop a TD from our 40?  Heck, the overtime series shows what would have happened.  So if we field that ball we outright lose instead of get a mini-game to try to regain our composure.

Given these choices most HCs would choose to own their fate and rely on their O, not their D.

It is the previous rouge that is being discussed, O'Shea had the choice of taking the no yards penalty which would have cancelled the rouge and placed the ball at the 30.  Instead he declined the penalty gave up the rouge and they started at the 40.

kkc60

Quote from: The Zipp on September 07, 2023, 07:37:26 PM
Clements, Hanson and Haba back would be huuuuuge
Haba to PR. i get it, we need STs help. But adding some juice to our pass rush would be beneficial. If we waste Haba to roster Cole/ Jackson, that?s gonna hurt. He has potential that those two don?t.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2023, 11:09:40 PM
It is the previous rouge that is being discussed, O'Shea had the choice of taking the no yards penalty which would have cancelled the rouge and placed the ball at the 30.  Instead he declined the penalty gave up the rouge and they started at the 40.

What's the math on the 30?  25 because it was downed in the EZ + 5 because it was a 5Y NY?  Is this the only instance left where a NY is only 5Y?

Did MOS clarify which rouge he said he might think differently on in the future?  Are we sure it's the NY one?

That earlier rouge had even more time on the clock... so I can see MOS caring less about the point.  However, if it really was 10Y difference then his choice was a major mistake.  Maybe he didn't know it would be 30 vs 40??  My brain didn't immediately go there... maybe MOS's didn't either.

Didn't we have this exact play in (maybe) 2019 except there the coverage was "hovering" when it was NY.  MOS wanted an extra hover penalty upgrade (it's in the rules).  He didn't get it.  BUT... he did take the penalty instead of the rouge!  Caused some confusion amongst fans.  But I could swear he didn't get to start at the 30.  It was the 10 or something... Someone may have to check this stuff.  Something doesn't sound right.

My point is MOS has taken the penalty instead of the rouge before; this situation is not new to him.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on September 07, 2023, 08:52:23 PM
It was a closed practice today. Would have been interesting to see, who was on the field, and what they were doing. Blackmon, mite need more then 2 practices. That would leave us with Parker.

Nice to see Clements back, he was having a good year before his injury. Haba and Hansen, both looked ready go on Monday.
OK lets get that pass rush in business now!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pete on September 07, 2023, 09:55:38 PM
looks like Streveler will be on hand for the banjo bowl signing autographs! Let the rumors begin...or rather keep on going depending on your perspective
really where did you read that?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

kkc60

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on September 08, 2023, 02:42:46 AM
OK lets get that pass rush in business now!
if i was a betting man, I would say DIs are gonna be Jackson, Castillo, Cole and Clements. Our black of pass rush depth has hurt us recently, unfortunately so has our lack of viable STers.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: kkc60 on September 08, 2023, 02:47:32 AM
if i was a betting man, I would say DIs are gonna be Jackson, Castillo, Cole and Clements. Our black of pass rush depth has hurt us recently, unfortunately so has our lack of viable STers.

Don't need 2 IMP WILLs DIs.  Surely we have another IMP we can DI.  Didn't someone say Haba will be back?  It's weird that our IMP roster cupboard is so bare.

So you may be correct, but it just seems very odd to me that is the best use of our limited spots.
Never go full Rider!

kkc60

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2023, 02:54:54 AM
Don't need 2 IMP WILLs DIs.  Surely we have another IMP we can DI.  Didn't someone say Haba will be back?  It's weird that our IMP roster cupboard is so bare.

So you may be correct, but it just seems very odd to me that is the best use of our limited spots.
apparently Haba to PR. Whether that sticks, not too sure. But losing Gauthier, Briggs missing some practice and Burtenshaw to the PR makes it make sense. This roster is not built well in terms of depth.