Banjo Bowl Pre-GDT

Started by Pigskin, September 04, 2023, 06:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

The labor day game was plus 31, lots of smoke, no wonder dline got wore out. One of those games where decision to dress only 6 dline came back to bite us.

Nic16

Quote from: Pete on September 05, 2023, 07:13:41 PM
The labor day game was plus 31, lots of smoke, no wonder dline got wore out. One of those games where decision to dress only 6 dline came back to bite us.

Excellent point. In a post game comment Biggie said his throat was very dry.

Affects both teams but with the BB only dressing only 6 DL could have played a role in the lack of pressure on Dolegala.

3rdand1.5

In overtime I am more of a gambling man, I would have liked to see us send a heavy blitz.

Reasoning, back-up QB may give him happy feet. They are almost sure to score something anyway, so go big go for a sack to take them outta FG range or hope for an errant throw that could be picked. Worst case scenario they beat the blitz and score a TD well heck, it's very likely anyway and we had the ball last.

As to the smoke yes, but both teams played in it the same...Honestly Sask. just wanted it more and it showed and they were successful. If we don't show we want it more next week, then something is wrong with our team.

It starts with special teams, a large portion of special teams is heart and fearlessness. We need to get that pride and fight back into our teams, we better see them jacked-up in the BJ Bowl

BBRT

Quote from: Nic16 on September 05, 2023, 07:25:58 PM
Excellent point. In a post game comment Biggie said his throat was very dry.

Affects both teams but with the BB only dressing only 6 DL could have played a role in the lack of pressure on Dolegala.

I was at the game and yes it was hot and smokey. Heat effected both teams and the BB only dressing 6 DL may have played a part. However the BB knew what the tempature was going to be long before game time. And smoke alerts were issued days in advance so IMHO if they needed to dress more than 6 DL they knew what the conditions were going to be long before game time. However I am not sure that was a major issue with why the pass rush was not all that great. I believe the Rider OL has improved somewhat and our DL play has pretty much dropped off this year when compared to the past. I also believe that Biggie (no matter how much I love the guy) is getting pretty close to his best before date. I tried to pay attention to his play at the game and did notice at least IMHO he was not really any major force so to speak.

Pigskin

Quote from: BBRT on September 05, 2023, 07:36:39 PM
I was at the game and yes it was hot and smokey. Heat effected both teams and the BB only dressing 6 DL may have played a part. However the BB knew what the tempature was going to be long before game time. And smoke alerts were issued days in advance so IMHO if they needed to dress more than 6 DL they knew what the conditions were going to be long before game time. However I am not sure that was a major issue with why the pass rush was not all that great. I believe the Rider OL has improved somewhat and our DL play has pretty much dropped off this year when compared to the past. I also believe that Biggie (no matter how much I love the guy) is getting pretty close to his best before date. I tried to pay attention to his play at the game and did notice at least IMHO he was not really any major force so to speak.

Agree, Biggie has lost a step. But, he is still very good. Biggie had 2 of our 4 sacks, and 6 tackles.  I think a lot of what mite be seen as pressure problem mite be the D Hall is calling. JJ94 - 2 DTs. RW9 - 1 DT, 1 sack,    AB98 - 1 DT, 99,95,5, no DTs. DL made 4 DTs and 1 Sack.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Nic16

The BB have dressed 6 DL with one being a rookie Canadian DE for the majority of the season. My guess is, that and the fact our DL is not getting any younger is playing a major role in the drop in effectiveness.

buckzumhoff

Big hill covered one pass that was a big play . If it wasn't for him on the play the defender had no chance with the receiver. Bighill didn't even watch the receiver was reading the qb and helped the db knockdown a pass. Which ended up bombers getting the ball back.  Defensively I thought we were good

TecnoGenius

I also believe that Biggie (no matter how much I love the guy) is getting pretty close to his best before date. I tried to pay attention to his play at the game and did notice at least IMHO he was not really any major force so to speak.

Quote from: Pigskin on September 05, 2023, 07:57:05 PM
Agree, Biggie has lost a step. But, he is still very good. Biggie had 2 of our 4 sacks, and 6 tackles.

Complaining about Biggie getting "old" is legit, but we can't complain about this game.  He was a monster out there.  His 2 sacks were things of beauty, and somewhat rare for him as he often gets stuffed more so than actually break through.  I haven't rewatched yet to see what scheme worked for this, but kudos to the D getting Biggie home on those game-changing blitzes.
Never go full Rider!

Blue72

I would like to see what Burtenshaw can do with the ball as he is almost the same size and weight as Oliveira. Just like what Toronto are doing with their two big backs. Give the guy a chance and maybe Oliveira can have a bit of a break two nat RBs.

Pete

Linebacker play wasn't an issue, what was that we we were only able to get to Domigala when we brought extra pressure. The 4 down linemen were less effective later in the game. Also while Bennet's run prevention has come miles, he's pass rush is almost nonexistent.

buckzumhoff

Sask will try to run the ball more so bombers better stuff the line . Stop the run like they did last game

DM83

Lucky is a novelty player at best.  He?s a poor receiver. And he?s not great as a returner.I can?t see him lasting once BC gets healthy.  He can?t catch.

Did someone say the defense was good?
Yeah those guys on the corner were really good?.for Sask.
I can?t even take them seriously.

Bombers have not looked good for over a month.
What?s wrong with Collaros.  Constantly under throwing guys, I.m.o.

Buck run some crossing routes, get Jackson out of there and get Agudusi  in

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on September 06, 2023, 03:18:10 AM
Lucky is a novelty player at best.  He?s a poor receiver. And he?s not great as a returner.I can?t see him lasting once BC gets healthy.  He can?t catch.

Did someone say the defense was good?
Yeah those guys on the corner were really good?.for Sask.
I can?t even take them seriously.

Bombers have not looked good for over a month.
What?s wrong with Collaros.  Constantly under throwing guys, I.m.o.

Buck run some crossing routes, get Jackson out of there and get Agudusi  in
Disagree with almost everything here

The Zipp

Day 1 of Bombers practice?Thiadric Hansen, Malik Clements and Celestin Haba all practicing.

No sign of Janarion Grant.

If no Grant - prob why we signed this new returner (should have been done long ago)

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on September 06, 2023, 04:45:16 PM
Day 1 of Bombers practice?Thiadric Hansen, Malik Clements and Celestin Haba all practicing.

No sign of Janarion Grant.

If no Grant - prob why we signed this new returner (should have been done long ago)
thank you

Great news on the defensive fronts and crap news on the return game!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!