Official Game Day Thread - Montreal at Winnipeg - August 24, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 23, 2023, 01:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2023, 02:40:07 PM
We probably will lose some more football games before the season is up. It won't be because the Bombers didn't dress Blue in BCs preferred roster.  ::)

If roster decisions and make up were the only reason a team wins or loses, then life would be easy.

If we lose with O'Shea's preferred roster ( or yours ) that won't automatically make it a wrong decision.

The question is and was, is the choice the best option available for a given selection.

The argument is only about Jackson as the best alternative to another DL. Winning does not make that a fact. It makes it a discussion which you simply refuse to discuss. This is a discussion forum.

Hard to tell when any 6 game IR players can actually return or what the domino impact will be. Ratio comes into play.

Grant is eligible to return this week. IDK if he's healthy but if he does, who comes off the roster? Choices would be Jackson, Darby or McCrae in that order IMO.

Haba is eligible after the next game.

Hansen is eligible after the next game. Choice would probably be Maruo although technically he could replace an import IIRC.  That puts us back to the 3 mentioned earlier.

Miller is in the same boat when he can return. However he's a Canadian so that's a different picture.

Since we don't really get any useful injury updates we don't know if or when any of these players will return.

Throw in the questions about Fox and Garbutt and their development. If Haba is close to returning I doubt we see them soon unless there are additional injuries.

Tyrell Ford could be available ( return from NFL ) next week but I don't think he'd be immediately added to the AR.

Overall I think we'll see a few potential changes in the next couple of weeks if some bodies return to health. The domino impact as always is fluid and may be the result of a new injury in the next game.

Just as a side note, I'd hate to see McCrae taken off the roster. He adds a different look on offence for a few plays.  I did find it a bit interesting to see McCrae listed as a DI instead of Darby. That would allow him to replace Oliveria if there is an in game injury more directly without taking an import receiver out.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 25, 2023, 03:03:37 PM
We have always had two American DT in our rotation. Richardson backed up Nevis, Sayles backed up Richardson, Walker backed up Sayles. Walker is having a pretty good year and is becoming a very good run stopping DT. However we have no American DT backing him up. Walker is an FA at the end of the season. My worry is he walks away for better money then the Bombers are offering him, like everyone before him, and we have no American DT with any experience. Now we have be very lucky/or good at finding the next American DT so are we going to roll the dice, and hope Fox is the next one.  Or are the Bomber going to go with 3 Canadian rotation at DT. Thomas (FA). Lawson (FA). Schmekel (PR). Kornelson (U).  

For the past several seasons we have had at least one additional DL as a DI. At times we've had 2. One DE and 1 DT. In addition we had Hansen.

This season we lost some options having an import kicker in Castillo and a Global punter in Sheehan. Can't disagree that Castillo has provided us a better kicking game. For Sheehan it's not quite as clear but it is what it is. Regardless it took away 2 roster spots that would have been almost certainly dedicated to defence. Injuries and free agency changed that.

Bombers are 9 - 2 and realistically should have won against the Redblacks. Definitely a top 3 team. The difference between the top group ranking may fall onto injuries going forward. The last weeks we have escaped games without serious injury and may be close to seeing some vets returning. Fingers are crossed we stay healthy.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 25, 2023, 03:46:36 PM
For the past several seasons we have had at least one additional DL as a DI. At times we've had 2. One DE and 1 DT. In addition we had Hansen.

This season we lost some options having an import kicker in Castillo and a Global punter in Sheehan. Can't disagree that Castillo has provided us a better kicking game. For Sheehan it's not quite as clear but it is what it is. Regardless it took away 2 roster spots that would have been almost certainly dedicated to defence. Injuries and free agency changed that.

Bombers are 9 - 2 and realistically should have won against the Redblacks. Definitely a top 3 team. The difference between the top group ranking may fall onto injuries going forward. The last weeks we have escaped games without serious injury and may be close to seeing some vets returning. Fingers are crossed we stay healthy.

It will get interesting if and when, Hansen, Miller, and Haba come back.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on August 25, 2023, 03:11:10 AM
No way that was pass interference on Lawler, the ball was thrown out of bounds for Pete?s sake!!! Worst call of the year and shocked Montreal didn?t challenge that crappy call

If you watch the play, Lawler is coming back for the ball and is interfered with.  We all know Lawlerand his propensity for keeping a toemail in bounds while catching a ball clearly out of bounds, and he could have done that here were it not for the, how should we call it, interference?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on August 25, 2023, 03:03:37 PM
We have always had two American DT in our rotation. Richardson backed up Nevis, Sayles backed up Richardson, Walker backed up Sayles. Walker is having a pretty good year and is becoming a very good run stopping DT. However we have no American DT backing him up. Walker is an FA at the end of the season. My worry is he walks away for better money then the Bombers are offering him, like everyone before him, and we have no American DT with any experience. Now we have be very lucky/or good at finding the next American DT so are we going to roll the dice, and hope Fox is the next one.  Or are the Bomber going to go with 3 Canadian rotation at DT. Thomas (FA). Lawson (FA). Schmekel (PR). Kornelson (U).  

And we always find the next man up.  IF we don't, the FA market is full of DT's, and maybe this time we spend on one, even keeping Walker.  Or find someone that WANTS to win a GC and is sick of 1-9 records, empty stadiums adn the coaches/GMs that go along with that, and will sign for less....
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2023, 04:28:04 PM
And we always find the next man up.  IF we don't, the FA market is full of DT's, and maybe this time we spend on one, even keeping Walker.  Or find someone that WANTS to win a GC and is sick of 1-9 records, empty stadiums adn the coaches/GMs that go along with that, and will sign for less....

Next year is next year. Can never tell what happens in free agency losses or gains. 1 year contracts make free agency interesting. We're bound to lose some good players. Schoen comes to mind as being able to move on for a big contract. We might get a discount to stay but he'll fall off his ELC in 2024.

I don't think the Unofficial roster has been updated and isn't accurate. Just the general sense is that we'll have a large list of potential free agents. While we've been good at getting most back every year, we might be closer to a more difficult off season. Retirement, decisions about moving on from some older vets and SMS are something we'll all be watching.

Will also be watching whether or if either the XFL / USFL return and whether players are moving to those leagues or away from those leagues.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 25, 2023, 05:35:20 PM
Next year is next year. Can never tell what happens in free agency losses or gains. 1 year contracts make free agency interesting. We're bound to lose some good players. Schoen comes to mind as being able to move on for a big contract. We might get a discount to stay but he'll fall off his ELC in 2024.

As long as we don't have anyone named Sayles to re-sign, we should do OK...

There are not a lot of $SMS teams will have to spare to "steal" players away, and it looks like many have learned the lesson that its not worth it to overspend.  Sure, Hamilton loaded up in a GC hosting year, how'd that work out?

Best chance anyone has at the $34k GC win bonus is... here.  Its common knowledge.  SO that goes a long way in negotiations.No one is signing with the Elks last minute for $5k more anymore...

bomb squad

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 24, 2023, 03:13:07 PM
Yes, there will be a flyover prior to kick off.

Anybody heard an official, accurate report on why it was called off? Not sure about the lightning as they were just seconds away from the stadium when they veered off. We thought it was a timing issue and they were just doing a go round. But of course they didn't come back.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 25, 2023, 06:38:16 PM
As long as we don't have anyone named Sayles to re-sign, we should do OK...

There are not a lot of $SMS teams will have to spare to "steal" players away, and it looks like many have learned the lesson that its not worth it to overspend.  Sure, Hamilton loaded up in a GC hosting year, how'd that work out?

Best chance anyone has at the $34k GC win bonus is... here.  Its common knowledge.  SO that goes a long way in negotiations.No one is signing with the Elks last minute for $5k more anymore...

Bombers will attract players to re-signing here. Like I said, I'm not entirely certain who all the potential free agents might be. However most of our OL, D. Brown and Schoen are on the list.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

To those that were critical of Rose last year please watch his play since his return.  Wee bit quiet on the criticism of his play now.  Great game.  Wilson  also very good again. 

bunker

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 25, 2023, 09:53:37 PM
To those that were critical of Rose last year please watch his play since his return.  Wee bit quiet on the criticism of his play now.  Great game.  Wilson  also very good again. 
You know sometimes players play well and sometimes they play poorly. It does not invalidate the criticism if the player starts to play better. Usually the reason posters are critical of a player is because they want the team to perform well, and find it frustrating when a player does not measure up. It does not make them any less a fan.
By way of example,  McRae has been pretty bad on returns. He got criticized for that, justifiably. He makes good plays on offence. He had a nice return last night. Doesn't change the fact that he's been bad at returning for a number of games. Just because he had a nice return yesterday, it doesn't mean all the posters are suddenly wrong about him. IMO same applies to Rose. I'm sure the people critical of him last year are very happy his performance is better. Doesn't mean they were wrong to criticize him last year.
You tend to be a glass half full kind of guy which is great. But not all of us are like that, and sometimes it's better to live and let live.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: bunker on August 25, 2023, 11:26:13 PM
You know sometimes players play well and sometimes they play poorly. It does not invalidate the criticism if the player starts to play better. Usually the reason posters are critical of a player is because they want the team to perform well, and find it frustrating when a player does not measure up. It does not make them any less a fan.
By way of example,  McRae has been pretty bad on returns. He got criticized for that, justifiably. He makes good plays on offence. He had a nice return last night. Doesn't change the fact that he's been bad at returning for a number of games. Just because he had a nice return yesterday, it doesn't mean all the posters are suddenly wrong about him. IMO same applies to Rose. I'm sure the people critical of him last year are very happy his performance is better. Doesn't mean they were wrong to criticize him last year.
You tend to be a glass half full kind of guy which is great. But not all of us are like that, and sometimes it's better to live and let live.
Some good thoughts.  Thanks for the post.  I like the long patient game and love me a good vet.  I also like giving a good prospect a long rope. Agree on McRae about his struggles on returns.

I think folks were too harsh on Rose but he did set the bar high.

I'm like an old school boat cabin, I go down with the ship.  The good ship Bombers has a couple more years of dominance imo.

I find some folks like to kick players when down. I trust the good ones will get back up quickly.

NewBlue

Rose confirmed he played through an ankle injury lastyear, which would explain any dropoff in play.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: NewBlue on August 26, 2023, 12:12:04 AM
Rose confirmed he played through an ankle injury lastyear, which would explain any dropoff in play.
Yeah was nicked all year which impacted his speed and agility.

DCM

Quote from: bomb squad on August 25, 2023, 06:49:30 PM
Anybody heard an official, accurate report on why it was called off? Not sure about the lightning as they were just seconds away from the stadium when they veered off. We thought it was a timing issue and they were just doing a go round. But of course they didn't come back.
Glen Suitor said during the telecast that the fly over was called off because of the unsettled weather early on and possibility of lightning.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here