Official Game Day Thread - Montreal at Winnipeg - August 24, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 23, 2023, 01:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Yikes. Tough 1st half.

Defence: Near perfect game. Only allowed 3 points scored against them. Only allowed 1 1st down in the entire 2nd half and that was at 29:30 more or less.

Kramdi: Must be doing something very right. Not getting beaten or targeted at all.

Jackson: His 1st reception. Only a couple of yards but plants the seed in future. Also was at DE a couple of times and FB a couple of times.

Augustine: Still think he could be an asset. Looked good late in game but Als defence was exhausted.

McCrae added some nice plays on offence. He had one very big return and didn't turnover the ball.

Cole / Darby / Exume / Gauthier and a few others saw some reps late in the game.

Sorry to see Richards for the Als tear up his knee in the 2nd half. Looked serious. He's a rising star.

I think we escaped any serious injuries.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Walker, Lawson, Thomas, 5 DTs, 2 Sacks.  JJ94, 5 DTs, 1 FR.   Wilson with 4 DTs.  AB4 only 1 DTs. Willy held off the board.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

...if only we would have dressed more defensive lineman.  ;D

Pigskin

Rose with his best game since coming back. Looks like he's finally healthy.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2023, 04:38:05 AM

So if Jefferson or Jeffcoat got nicked in the 1st Q and couldn't continue, who would have replaced them at DE? Just because the back ups got a few reps when the game was well out of hand for the Als, doesn't mean there is no need
Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2023, 04:38:05 AM

Anybody have a snap count for the DL? Everything is perfect when you win big. Would we want Cole, Bennett or Jackson taking 2/3 rds of the snaps if Jeffcoat or Jefferson got nicked early?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 25, 2023, 02:01:29 PM
So if Jefferson or Jeffcoat got nicked in the 1st Q and couldn't continue, who would have replaced them at DE? Just because the back ups got a few reps when the game was well out of hand for the Als, doesn't mean there is no need
Anybody have a snap count for the DL? Everything is perfect when you win big. Would we want Cole, Bennett or Jackson taking 2/3 rds of the snaps if Jeffcoat or Jefferson got nicked early?

I'm just going to point out that maybe the Bombers know how to deploy their roster better than you do. People being aghast that we have 10 linebackers on the roster or only 6 defensive lineman and then the D holds them to 3 points. People claiming that Jackson isn't worth a roster spot and then he plays all three phases. Lolx100

Pete

What people don't consider enough is that on second and long we often revert to 3 down lineman and fill in with quicker linebackers employed in various schemes on defensive line.,I t isn't just 6 lineman rotating

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on August 25, 2023, 02:09:19 PM
What people don't consider enough is that on second and long we often revert to 3 down lineman and fill in with quicker linebackers employed in various schemes on defensive line.,I t isn't just 6 lineman rotating

Yep! And add in Jackson rotating all second half but listed as a fullback. If they just had him on the chart as a defensive end everyone would have been thrilled. It's like people forget 24-5 in our last two regular seasons. It's pretty hilarious.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2023, 02:04:36 PM
I'm just going to point out that maybe the Bombers know how to deploy their roster better than you do. People being aghast that we have 10 linebackers on the roster or only 6 defensive lineman and then the D holds them to 3 points. People claiming that Jackson isn't worth a roster spot and then he plays all three phases. Lolx100

There are many posters that see a flaw in the roster deployment. Sure the coaches know more than us. It doesn't address the potential concerns many see. I have no specific issue with 10 lb's since titles are fluid and not always meaningful.

Winning makes everything look perfect.

I haven't seen the TOP but the Bombers held the Als to 1 short 1st down in the 2nd half. That's not something you'll see often.

What happens when we have a significant injury early in the game and are losing TOP against a team like the Lions or Argos?

I don't think many will think Jackson is showing a real worth yet just because he happened to play all 3 phases. You're making a BS argument about his contribution. I didn't see him on defence until we were up by 30 points.  Let me know when he's on the field in meaningful game play and actually making good plays.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 25, 2023, 02:18:08 PM
There are many posters that see a flaw in the roster deployment. Sure the coaches know more than us. It doesn't address the potential concerns many see. I have no specific issue with 10 lb's since titles are fluid and not always meaningful.

Winning makes everything look perfect.

I haven't seen the TOP but the Bombers held the Als to 1 short 1st down in the 2nd half. That's not something you'll see often.

What happens when we have a significant injury early in the game and are losing TOP against a team like the Lions or Argos?

I don't think many will think Jackson is showing a real worth yet just because he happened to play all 3 phases. You're making a BS argument about his contribution. I didn't see him on defence until we were up by 30 points.  Let me know when he's on the field in meaningful game play and actually making good plays.

And they were all wrong yesterday. The "roster deployment" the Bombers selected on defense gave up three points. THREE.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2023, 02:19:55 PM
And they were all wrong yesterday. The "roster deployment" the Bombers selected on defense gave up three points. THREE.

It's an easy argument to make when you win big against a QB that has a record of losing to the Bombers.  I guess we'll see how this works out for the rest of the season and when Haba is healthy.

Talk to me when we play the Argos and the Lions again.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 25, 2023, 02:33:45 PM
It's an easy argument to make when you win big against a QB that has a record of losing to the Bombers.  I guess we'll see how this works out for the rest of the season and when Haba is healthy.

Talk to me when we play the Argos and the Lions again.

We probably will lose some more football games before the season is up. It won't be because the Bombers didn't dress Blue in BCs preferred roster.  ::)

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 25, 2023, 02:19:55 PM
also Haba when he returns from injury looked great in rotation.....so yeah our D scheming is working well lately.    The big test will come on September 29 and one more crack at BC in their barn with VAJ under centre.    TBH the last two QBs the Bombers faced were not exactly MOP material.    Kelly is and perhaps VAJ isn't as much however the Bomber D will need to play their very best with help from the offence and STs.    
The return of Kyrie Wilson has also had a huge impact on our D.    The question remains around whether or not Jamal Parker will replace Houston when he comes back.    Austin Mack was having a good game against Houston who was giving him a 5 yard cushion on most plays.    When he was hurt the Als offence suddenly dried up completely.    
My biggest concern isn't our D and its personnel however our special teams coverage on KOs is atrocious.    Praying for Miller's return to help them turn this around.....he's one of the very best if not the best special teamers ever
Bomber fan for life

Horseman

Quote from: dd on August 25, 2023, 03:11:10 AM
No way that was pass interference on Lawler, the ball was thrown out of bounds for Pete?s sake!!! Worst call of the year and shocked Montreal didn?t challenge that crappy call

Maas had lost his challenge at that point in the game.

Pigskin

We have always had two American DT in our rotation. Richardson backed up Nevis, Sayles backed up Richardson, Walker backed up Sayles. Walker is having a pretty good year and is becoming a very good run stopping DT. However we have no American DT backing him up. Walker is an FA at the end of the season. My worry is he walks away for better money then the Bombers are offering him, like everyone before him, and we have no American DT with any experience. Now we have be very lucky/or good at finding the next American DT so are we going to roll the dice, and hope Fox is the next one.  Or are the Bomber going to go with 3 Canadian rotation at DT. Thomas (FA). Lawson (FA). Schmekel (PR). Kornelson (U).