Horrifically Bad UR Call

Started by TecnoGenius, August 19, 2023, 06:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 20, 2023, 04:44:48 AM
Obviously the refs call a play on how it looks. It looked bad. The refs get zero replays. We got a whole bunch and slow motion.

I should clarify: how the result looks, not how the hit looks.  They should only call the hit they actually see, not the result.  Ragdolling and writhing shouldn't enter into it.  Since the EITS can and does upgrade missed UR calls, the on-field refs should err on the side of a non-call and leave it to the EITS.  If they had done that, this would never be UR.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2023, 08:16:01 AM
I should clarify: how the result looks, not how the hit looks.  They should only call the hit they actually see, not the result.  Ragdolling and writhing shouldn't enter into it.  Since the EITS can and does upgrade missed UR calls, the on-field refs should err on the side of a non-call and leave it to the EITS.  If they had done that, this would never be UR.

Okay. Maybe send the commissioner a letter and and suggest the refs don't take writhing into account.

TBURGESS

Techno... I'm certain you have better tech to look at than I do. I don't even re-watch games.

You're trying to take tech, days after the fact, and use it to 'prove' that it was a bad call. The refs have to make the call in real time without any tech, even replays. They go by what they see. What they saw was a receiver who couldn't protect himself, get hit in the neck/shoulder area and collapse onto the field. That's the way the game has to be called.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

DM83

Wrong wrong wrong
Holm actually tried to avoid contact, and the receiver might have been jostled. This was a ooor call by the official. Most of the rule books State just because a player hits the ground, doesn?t mean he was treated unfairly.

The receiver misjudged the pass, missed it, and Holm came across avoided most contact, and in no way was there intent, head contact, or even a bump,as the receiver was then after dropping the attempted pass was out of control, and would have fallen, even with no one in possession.  Was the receiver, by his own incompetence off balance and off balance, which was brought about by himself.  Holm arrived late, and jumped out of the way.

Holm is a very good player.  Who was the receiver, one of the flying wolenda brothers? Lol!

Bombers had at least three questionable calls against them

TBURGESS

Quote from: DM83 on August 20, 2023, 10:47:24 PM
Wrong wrong wrong
Holm actually tried to avoid contact, and the receiver might have been jostled. This was a ooor call by the official. Most of the rule books State just because a player hits the ground, doesn?t mean he was treated unfairly.

The receiver misjudged the pass, missed it, and Holm came across avoided most contact, and in no way was there intent, head contact, or even a bump,as the receiver was then after dropping the attempted pass was out of control, and would have fallen, even with no one in possession.  Was the receiver, by his own incompetence off balance and off balance, which was brought about by himself.  Holm arrived late, and jumped out of the way.

Holm is a very good player.  Who was the receiver, one of the flying wolenda brothers? Lol!

Bombers had at least three questionable calls against them
Trying to avoid contact isn't part of the rule. The fact is that he did contact the receiver.

Miss judging the pass has nothing to do with it, nor does possession.

Ducky

Anyone have a link to the play?

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 20, 2023, 10:54:20 PM
Trying to avoid contact isn't part of the rule. The fact is that he did contact the receiver.

Miss judging the pass has nothing to do with it, nor does possession.

Opposite of what you were saying on the Collaros hit last week, lol.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 20, 2023, 03:01:20 PM
Techno... I'm certain you have better tech to look at than I do. I don't even re-watch games.

You're trying to take tech, days after the fact, and use it to 'prove' that it was a bad call. The refs have to make the call in real time without any tech, even replays. They go by what they see. What they saw was a receiver who couldn't protect himself, get hit in the neck/shoulder area and collapse onto the field. That's the way the game has to be called.
+1

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 20, 2023, 03:01:20 PM

I get it and I agree with what you said above.  But this is why the CFL has new rules (4 years ago?) where Command can auto-review any called penalty at any time if they spot an egregious mistake.  They often do this several times a week.  This is the perfect example of when Command needs to overturn an obvious mistake by the field refs.

We already have the structure in place to get these right and not have the entire CFL fan base (sans CGY fans) up in arms about a dumb call.  So let's use it.

Look at the BC@SSK game tonight, there was at least 1 call where Command cancelled a field-called flag, a late hit OOB on a return.  They could have done the same for that Begelton hit.

If a player (Begelton cough cough) is going to game the system with sneaky tricks, then not only should the league not reward it: they should start looking at punishments.  That's why I'm going to continue to watch him like a hawk.  In the meantime, all of our receivers should go limp and jump upon impact every time they whiff on the ball.  Free 15 yards on every missed catch!  Weeeeeeeee!
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

The command center can, but didn't, overturn the penalty. As you say, they did overturn the OOB hit on a return, that wasn't OOB.

theaardvark

Surprised Begleton didn't participate in the jersey swap post game... oh wait, the rest of the players were playing football, not "football"... at the very most, Holm should have gotten a yellow card...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

I think you guys are going overboard. He didn't exactly flop and pretend for minutes. He was up before trainers even came out. He got legitimately hit pretty good. It looked awkward because Holm went through his arms but the spin and all of that was 100% reality. You can't exactly "fake" the velocity of what happened. If that was Lawler, everyone would be up in arms.

dd

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 21, 2023, 02:30:39 PM
The command center can, but didn't, overturn the penalty. As you say, they did overturn the OOB hit on a return, that wasn't OOB.
Command centre makes a mockery and joke of the entire process. They should be made to give an explanation as to why it is or isn?t a foul and the Head zref should be able to ask the obvious questions to challenge their bogus ruling ie if the player wasn?t out of bounds the ref should be able to say, but the player wasn?t out of bounds or down so how could it be piling on. This would take some of the ambiguity of yesterday it was  not a foul (the Collaros hit) but today it is (the Begelton hit) where they both were principally the same type of hit ( actually Collaros s was worse, he sustain actual contact to the head, where Begelton didn?t)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 21, 2023, 03:25:31 PM
I think you guys are going overboard. He didn't exactly flop and pretend for minutes. He was up before trainers even came out. He got legitimately hit pretty good. It looked awkward because Holm went through his arms but the spin and all of that was 100% reality. You can't exactly "fake" the velocity of what happened. If that was Lawler, everyone would be up in arms.

Spins like that are rare.  Players almost always instinctively tense up and try to keep a foot or two planted.  Begelton has done this before.  He leaves his feet before the hit and goes limp.  Thus nothing stops him from spinning around like a top.

In fact, it seems even more hard to believe in this latest hit because he was reaching low for the ball (not up or jumping) and thus there's no reason why one or both feet weren't on the ground at the time of impact (yes even in a run).

Ya, it could all be legit and it's just bad luck.  But a pattern is emerging and said pattern doesn't happen multiple times to any other player I can think of.

Yes, I'm not minimizing the hit or how hard it was.  But it was glancing, i.e. both going the same direction, not head on.  It probably hurts and knocks the wind out of you.  Not denying that reality.  But the laying on the ground after a non-head on collision, doing "I've been concussed" hand movements, that's rare when you're not really hurt.  And we know he wasn't really hurt because he was running full speed on the next play.  You say the trainers didn't come: why is that?  Dude was down for 30s+.  Do the trainers know not to come out for a Begelton "injury"??  Don't trainers usually come out after a guy is down for 5s?  That's even more suspicious...

I have no proof of anything, and I could very well be wrong, but to me it smells fishy, and it continues a pattern.
Never go full Rider!

bluengold204

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 22, 2023, 05:07:20 AM
Spins like that are rare.  Players almost always instinctively tense up and try to keep a foot or two planted.  Begelton has done this before.  He leaves his feet before the hit and goes limp.  Thus nothing stops him from spinning around like a top.

In fact, it seems even more hard to believe in this latest hit because he was reaching low for the ball (not up or jumping) and thus there's no reason why one or both feet weren't on the ground at the time of impact (yes even in a run).

Ya, it could all be legit and it's just bad luck.  But a pattern is emerging and said pattern doesn't happen multiple times to any other player I can think of.

Yes, I'm not minimizing the hit or how hard it was.  But it was glancing, i.e. both going the same direction, not head on.  It probably hurts and knocks the wind out of you.  Not denying that reality.  But the laying on the ground after a non-head on collision, doing "I've been concussed" hand movements, that's rare when you're not really hurt.  And we know he wasn't really hurt because he was running full speed on the next play.  You say the trainers didn't come: why is that?  Dude was down for 30s+.  Do the trainers know not to come out for a Begelton "injury"??  Don't trainers usually come out after a guy is down for 5s?  That's even more suspicious...

I have no proof of anything, and I could very well be wrong, but to me it smells fishy, and it continues a pattern.

If you have no proof you should give it a rest and stop trying to drag the guy through the mud.