Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2023, 06:07:37 AM
McCrae did have 2(?) great 1st down runs(?) for good yards to mix things up.  CGY didn't seem prepared for him at all on O.  He's a great tendency breaker and sows confusion.  Parker can't do that for us.

Not saying I disagree with you, but McCrae does add something we are having success with.  And he still hasn't lost us the ball on returns.  Ya, he finally fumbled today but it didn't count because of NY, and we recovered anyhow.  Maybe he knew it would be NY the way he was running up on it and thus knew he just had to touch it?  It might have actually been a brilliant play; maybe MOS will speak to it this week.

I saw a lot of non-Brady runs tonight and they seemed to have very nice success.  Mostly all on 1st down.  Most went for 7 to 10 yards, which is really ideal.  Bailey sweeps finally worked.  Demski doing his slippery butter thing.  McCrae surprising the D.  And hard Brady running.  Buck knew he had to support his "newbie" QB and called a pretty good run game on 1st down, so Dru didn't have to throw much.

We may have had the best game stuffing the Carey/Mills combo of any team this year (previously or in the future).  Our run D was astoundingly good.  Clearly Hall played to stop the run.  We knew Maier couldn't run (well, he did once).  And we gambled he couldn't pass.  We didn't do so hot on the pass because our pass rush stunk major rocks.  But we did stuff that run and that was enough!

Fantasy pickers choosing Carey got hella burned tonight!  Kinda like my Kenny pick!  :D :D :D

I've said previously that I like what McCrae adds to our offence when we use him. That doesn't make him a wise choice as the returner. There are alternatives to keep him on the roster and still add Parker back as the returner.

He had 4 PR's for 26 yards and 1 KR for 17 yards.

Tommy Lee Lewis had 8 PR's for 146 yards and 1 KR for 60.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tehedra

Quote from: Horseman on August 19, 2023, 02:49:43 AM
Zach isn't even dressed!

He actually was dressed.  Although i thought he was 8 and he was wearing 14.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Tehedra on August 19, 2023, 02:59:19 PM

No he wasn't. Castillo is # 14. Collaros was in civies on the sideline.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 02:58:11 PM
I've said previously that I like what McCrae adds to our offence when we use him. That doesn't make him a wise choice as the returner. There are alternatives to keep him on the roster and still add Parker back as the returner.

He had 4 PR's for 26 yards and 1 KR for 17 yards.

Tommy Lee Lewis had 8 PR's for 146 yards and 1 KR for 60.

Agree 100% - Do we really need to wait for him to cost us a game before we put someone else there?

Parker went in for a game and he did absolutely fine.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Tehedra on August 19, 2023, 02:59:19 PM

Apparently, they brought his gear, but did not put it in his locker, in case he got some ideas...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 03:03:24 PM

They showed him a bunch of times chewing on a piece of bubble gum the size of a baseball. He was in street clothes

M.O.A.B.

Because they won, O'Shea will not make any changes. It sad but book it.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 19, 2023, 04:20:19 PM
Because they won, O'Shea will not make any changes. It sad but book it.

Think about what you just said for a second. We haven't lost in a month. Other than blowing a huge lead against Ottawa, our only other setback has been a week 3 loss against BC. We are getting spoiled.

Tehedra

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 03:03:24 PM

I was at the game and he was in uniform.  He came and said hi to us in the stands and gave my son a high five.  So maybe he changed in the second half to get into uniform?

bwiser

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2023, 05:48:09 AM
UR: looks like coach cannot challenge, but Command can with automatic review and it doesn't have to be within 3min.  "Called penalties that are not coach challengeable penalties".  That phantom UR was an egregiously bad call and every CFL fan saw it, and that's the type of thing Command needs to step in on and correct on the fly without challenge.  It's not good for the league if that is left standing.  It's obvious to even blind CFL fans.  I bet the league apologizes for it.  This can't be made the new standard.  Holm had every right to try to catch that ball.  He was tracking it better than the receiver.

And yes, going for the Prukop sneak at the end on 3rd was critical.  With our ST and their returner and their punt blocking and us kicking from the 15(ish) yard line, 50/50 chance they return it into instant FG range.  And Maier was able to move the ball on mid plays quite often, and you just knew the refs were gonna DPI us on any little contact.  Definitely go for it on 3rd and if we fail the sneak, then so be it, we deserve to lose.

I have to agree. The Bombers had no choice but to go for it on third down with the game on the line. I said to my partner right before the snap that  this is the game here. Make the first down win the game, miss it and you lose. Punting from deep in your own end was not an option. Great to see the Bombers show that they wanted this game more. The fans I sit with in section 211[shout out to goldmember] have a saying when the game is on the line "who wants to win". The answer last night the Bombers!

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 19, 2023, 04:23:30 PM
Think about what you just said for a second. We haven't lost in a month. Other than blowing a huge lead against Ottawa, our only other setback has been a week 3 loss against BC. We are getting spoiled.

I already thought about it. We haven't done any roster changes for the last 3 games. The roster changes we made prior to that was prompted by injuries.

Horseman

Quote from: Tehedra on August 19, 2023, 04:41:31 PM
I was at the game and he was in uniform.  He came and said hi to us in the stands and gave my son a high five.  So maybe he changed in the second half to get into uniform?

I think you may have had too many wobbly pops, Zach was in street clothes the entire game chewing on a big wad of gum. I think you mistakenly thought Sergio was Zach. It's okay it happens sometime. Besides you can't dress 2 players wearing the same number.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Tehedra on August 19, 2023, 04:41:31 PM

Then he has a twin in civies standing on the sideline. Why would they dress him in the 2nd half with a different number than his own?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

bunker

Is it possible we used Kyrie Wilson as our nationalized American yesterday? On the D's first play we had Jefferson, Thomas, Lawson, Walker and Jeffcoat lined up on the line with Biggie and Kramdi as LBs, with no #19 in site. Kind of an odd lineup for the first play. Wilson came in the next play.  If so, what's the point since we always are playing a couple of nationals on D anyway. Confusing.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden