Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

IIRC Oliveria had 73 yards rushing in the 1st half. He finished the game with only 80 yards rushing. Somebody want to explain what Pierce was thinking?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tee42

Quote from: The Zipp on August 19, 2023, 03:54:03 AM
Jake Maier is the Marc Leigghio of QB's

He will be replaced.

global moderator?are you a self proclaimed moderator? Or are you a global moderator?

The Zipp

Quote from: bunker on August 19, 2023, 04:18:24 AM
On the one hand, you should never complain when you get a win on the road with your #2 QB.

On the other hand:
Kick coverage terrible, I think we are worst in league. Leake will eat us up.
McRae a disaster as a returner, bobbles, fumbles or runs 3 yards into a pile of players.  Parker should be our returner til Grant is back.
Drew is not ready for prime time. He has the best set of receivers and running back in the league, and a top 3 O-line, but offense was anemic. Brady saved the day. There is no longer a QB controversy in Winnipeg if there ever was one.
One of MOS's worst games: why take a time count penalty at the end when you have your time outs? Why not challenge the penalty on Holm?The gamble on at the end on third and 1+ also a head scratcher to me. Get Calgary deep and trust defense is playing lights out, trust them to win the game.
Calgary should have been called for no yards on the punt at the end that bounced forwards and was caught by McRae on the hop.

But no complaints... we won. :D

I like the call to go for it at the end.  You have had a punt blocked already and I think one close to being blocked, you have given up a bunch of yards on returns and they have a great FG kicker. Get one yard and win the game.  Quite the push on the run by BO to make it close enough, he was stuffed and then got assistance from the big boys. 

I agree on the other points - not sure if you can challenge unecassry roughness penalties ??

3rdand1.5

We won....thank the football gods for Castillo.

We need to improve special teams coverage
Our offense pretty well terrible save for Brady....
Hopefully Zach just needs a few more days.
Not all Browns fault though...

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 04:23:21 AM
IIRC Oliveria had 73 yards rushing in the 1st half. He finished the game with only 80 yards rushing. Somebody want to explain what Pierce was thinking?

Agree. We also hardly ever run in the red zone.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bunker

Quote from: The Zipp on August 19, 2023, 04:25:06 AM
I like the call to go for it at the end.  You have had a punt blocked already and I think one close to being blocked, you have given up a bunch of yards on returns and they have a great FG kicker. Get one yard and win the game.  Quite the push on the run by BO to make it close enough, he was stuffed and then got assistance from the big boys. 

I agree on the other points - not sure if you can challenge unecassry roughness penalties ??
I agree if it was one yard you go for it. But I think this was closer to 2, although I'll have to go back and rewatch. Fact that Drew was lining up in shotgun, and looked when the ball was snapped like he was looking pass suggests this was not an "automatic" one yard Prukop plunge, in which case I think you have to punt. Although I also agree that our pathetic punt coverage makes me think twice about this decision.

barrywpg

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2023, 03:47:50 AM
Dru and Kenny massive busts for me in fantasy.

Can someone explain to me why TSN showed 10s left on the clock when we took the 3rd down knee??  I thought they had horribly miscalculated.

I like Jermain Franklin's tie!  I couldn't pull that off, but looks nice on him

Scared me too - just rewatched it - TV clock froze with 10 seconds left but the playclock kept ticking

bunker

Have to give a separate shout out to Brady. He dropped one catchable pass, but he ran hard and with heart, and was our best player on offense. He's having a hell of a season.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 04:23:21 AM

He had some negative yards in the second half.

dd

Quote from: bunker on August 19, 2023, 04:33:31 AM
Have to give a separate shout out to Brady. He dropped one catchable pass, but he ran hard and with heart, and was our best player on offense. He's having a hell of a season.
Yes, he was an absolute beast out there tonight. Such heart and effort!!

Cool Spot

Quote from: Pigskin on August 19, 2023, 04:21:56 AM
I agree, that ball should never have bounced (on the punt return).

If I recall correct, McRae was lining up at the back of the end zone, perhaps to give himself enough time to return it in case the kick was wide (and to prevent it from rolling out the back of the end zone)? Maybe the reason it bounced is because he was moving up from the back of the end zone on a short FG kick, and didn't make it there in time to catch it in air.

dd

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 19, 2023, 04:36:07 AM
He had some negative yards in the second half.
We were also then using Brady as a decoy and getting the defense to shift on a fake pitch or handoff to him and countering with Demski or McRae, and they had some decent gains. And Calgary was keying hard on Brady so co7ntrring with Demski or McRae on the run play was a great call.

Big Daddy

Post-game discussion.  Jim Barker - "Rene Paredes...may be the best kicker in history.  But - you can't ask him to kick that field goal to win the game."

How can I take anything he says seriously going forward?  For both parts of that comment.

dd

Quote from: Big Daddy on August 19, 2023, 04:47:18 AM
Post-game discussion.  Jim Barker - "Rene Paredes...may be the best kicker in history.  But - you can't ask him to kick that field goal to win the game."

How can I take anything he says seriously going forward?  For both parts of that comment.
I know, that was ridiculous. Forget dave ridgeway, lui passaglia or dave cutler, Rene s the best in history. Laughable. Absolutely laughable. And you can?t ask him to kick a field goal to win the game?? Excuse me jimbo, but that?s the exact reason you have a kicker, he needs to make those kicks. Ridiculous comments by a buffoon.are they that hard up for people on the panel???

Blue72

Why didn't the bombers have two guys back on the last field goal, one deep and one closer to the line to run it back?