Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeard

Quote from: bwiser on August 18, 2023, 01:35:59 PM
Beating Calgary tonight will send a message to the Stamps that the Bombers are a superior team to them. Calgary has struggled at times this season but I do think they will be in the playoffs when the dust settles.The Bombers need to show all contenders that the road to the Grey Cup goes through Winnipeg.

Without John Hufnagel at the helm, Calgary is a different team.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 18, 2023, 12:52:23 PM
Probably right but Dru Brown won't have as easy of a time today. I'm sure he'll make a few mistakes and come down to earth a little bit. Calgary is a legit CFL team for one, even if duking it out for that last playoff spot. Brown did his best work scrambling to his right and they know that too. We are going to find out if Brown can operate the offense against a team prepared to play an inexperienced QB that has a bit of film. One of the reasons most of the young QBs in this league look below average is because defenses (and their coordinators) and legitimately good.

You?re going to have to explain to me how Calgary is a ?legit CFL team?.

They are 3-6 in a year where only three teams have shown to be legit.
My wife is amazing!

BBRT

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 18, 2023, 01:57:57 PM
I think we're in for a tough game tonight. Calgary is not Edmonton. Dru is starting & Calgary has film on him. Calgary needs the win to get back into the playoff picture.

I agree with your comments. We will be heading out to the game later today and hopefully the rain will pass us by although Environment Canada has Thundestorms in the forecast and it is very cloudy at the moment with winds out of the north and gusting. Might be a wet windy night! - need to load up on coffee and hotdogs to keep the cold out!  ;D

3rdand1.5

Hopefully not another weather delay game! If that happens during the Bomber game I may get too much into my fresh new....strike what....bottle of Vodka and miss a thing or two....

Both teams have good running games, I would expect Cal. to play a dink and dunk type offence. We tend to play a bit off and keep the ball in front of us, so I expect Cal. will put up some yards against us, but hopefully we tighten up in the red zone as we have shown we can do and limit the scoring. Still not totally sure how Brown looks, the small sample size was great, but hard to judge playing Edm. He did hit a couple nice mid-long passes, and did show some poise and escape ability in the pocket. Let's just hope he continues and limits mistakes.

And please, please, please Bombers please start playing the game when the actual game starts......

Blue In BC

If we succeed in taking away their run game then IMO we win easily. Whether that's by very good offensive output by us ( TOP, score and field position ) or just by stuffing them by our defence.

I don't think they will have great success with their passing game, especially if we negate their run game.

Weather could be an equalizer though. Game of turnovers possibly.

EDIT: Obviously every game is important. However we're locked into a 1st place tie with the Lions. Can't let them gain any ground. The difference between 1st place and 2nd place at the end of the season could be losing one game we should have won ( Redblacks game ).

This is a game we should win. Take it to the Stamps tonight.,
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Tehedra

Quote from: BBRT on August 17, 2023, 04:28:24 PM
I will be there - one of the few games I attend at McMahon Stadium (even though I have season tickets - got to support the CFL). Today will be a high of 34C but tomorrow around 17C with rain so might be a little wet. Not sure which team has an advantage a wet field brings. The one thing that will be a problem for the Stamps Organization is that attendance is down this year and a wet and somewhat cold experience will keep the numbers in attendance down even more.

It is a pretty sorry sight as I sit in the SuperReds section and most of the folks I use to see in my sectiond no longer show up! However the hot dogs and diet cokes are still good!  :D

We are driving up from the EDM area to watch the game.  Hope its a good one.  Will be our first trip to McMahon Stadium

RyGuy13

Crappy weather here in Calgary today. Cloudy, cold, windy and rain. Might be a game we have to get the running game going. Hopefully the big boys up front are ready to come out physical. Don?t think we will push the ball down field as much. Defence needs to be better stopping the run. Carey and Mills can be a load so the front 7 will need to be ready and finish every tackle.
At SB, #85..MILT STEEEGAAALLLL

BBRT

Quote from: Tehedra on August 18, 2023, 08:23:30 PM
We are driving up from the EDM area to watch the game.  Hope its a good one.  Will be our first trip to McMahon Stadium

Not sure where you will be parking but there is parking just North of the stadium or so. Still not the best option. Might want to park at the closet C-Train station and take the C-train to the game and then C-train it back to the station you park at.

Enjoy the game - going to be a wet one - and a little chilly too.

The Zipp

Quote from: RyGuy13 on August 18, 2023, 08:55:26 PM
Crappy weather here in Calgary today. Cloudy, cold, windy and rain. Might be a game we have to get the running game going. Hopefully the big boys up front are ready to come out physical. Don?t think we will push the ball down field as much. Defence needs to be better stopping the run. Carey and Mills can be a load so the front 7 will need to be ready and finish every tackle.

You're not kidding - just looked at EC, it's only 10 degrees !!!  Wind 46km/h and 100% chance of rain all evening

dd

sloppy wet weather will favour Calgary, in that it will take away from our passing game, the game will be close, we should win though

ModAdmin

Quote from: The Zipp on August 18, 2023, 09:55:45 PM
You're not kidding - just looked at EC, it's only 10 degrees !!!  Wind 46km/h and 100% chance of rain all evening

According to the latest on the Weather Network, the forecast for this evening is cloudy with sunny breaks and cloudy periods overnight.  Windy though at 25 K/hr gusting to 45 K/hr.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

RyGuy13

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 18, 2023, 10:04:53 PM
According to the latest on the Weather Network, the forecast for this evening is cloudy with sunny breaks and cloudy periods overnight.  Windy though at 25 K/hr gusting to 45 K/hr.

Kicking game will be a real test too. Don?t see either team attempting anything long distance. Possession time will be key. Don?t need huge chunk yards (unless it?s there). Brady/McCrae/Demski will need to get the running game going. Should be a messy one. Go Bombers!
At SB, #85..MILT STEEEGAAALLLL

Jesse

Quote from: dd on August 18, 2023, 10:04:23 PM
sloppy wet weather will favour Calgary, in that it will take away from our passing game, the game will be close, we should win though

How does it favour Calgary?
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on August 18, 2023, 10:55:27 PM
How does it favour Calgary?

I guess they think the CGY running game is better than ours...  but I think our Oline and RB are every bit as good, if not better...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.