Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: RebusRankin on August 17, 2023, 07:45:51 PM
A swiss army knife that actually contributes something? No defensive tackles. No ST tackles. No big ST or Defensive plays. Not seeing your contribution argument. Oh and before you say blocking, he's not doing much of that on offense (rewatch the games and look for it) and we have Dobson and Eli for that. Who btw are actually filling that role and making a contribution.

I've been watching Jackson closely for a couple of games now and he's improving on his blocking.  He used to completely whiff and be worse than useless sometimes.  Now he's made at least a couple of stout blocks for Brady/Demski, which is critical for closing out games.

The reason you put a FB in there is one of these days we will pass to him and he'll be wide open and take it in for a TD.  Since he's never once sneaked out, and always stayed in to block, zero teams will be planning for him to escape, and even if coached to watch him, players will have mental lapses.  We might even give him a sweep one of these days after faking to both BO20 and Demski or Bailey.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Dru starting is not the great news some might think.  He's still an "under 5 starts" QB and still susceptible to the baiting and rookie-tricks DBs and LBs are going to pull on him.  And CGY might be one of the worst teams to face for this as they are a vet group with extremely good coaching.  They will try every trick to get INTs, and really try to pick on his greenness.

No matter how good he looked vs EDM, he is still far from having "seen everything".  He'll have to have his wits around him at all times and stay out of the thickets.

I'm sure our guys and Zach will be coaching him along the way.  Hopefully they'll spot any potential gotchas before they occur.  Call me cautiously optimistic.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2023, 11:29:07 PM
Dru starting is not the great news some might think.  He's still an "under 5 starts" QB and still susceptible to the baiting and rookie-tricks DBs and LBs are going to pull on him.  And CGY might be one of the worst teams to face for this as they are a vet group with extremely good coaching.  They will try every trick to get INTs, and really try to pick on his greenness.

No matter how good he looked vs EDM, he is still far from having "seen everything".  He'll have to have his wits around him at all times and stay out of the thickets.

I'm sure our guys and Zach will be coaching him along the way.  Hopefully they'll spot any potential gotchas before they occur.  Call me cautiously optimistic.

You post is obviously pessimistic.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

You were so wrong about Dru last week and the trend will continue.  Double down on bird me thinks.

TecnoGenius

Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 18, 2023, 03:38:02 AM
You were so wrong about Dru last week and the trend will continue.  Double down on bird me thinks.

Probably right but Dru Brown won't have as easy of a time today. I'm sure he'll make a few mistakes and come down to earth a little bit. Calgary is a legit CFL team for one, even if duking it out for that last playoff spot. Brown did his best work scrambling to his right and they know that too. We are going to find out if Brown can operate the offense against a team prepared to play an inexperienced QB that has a bit of film. One of the reasons most of the young QBs in this league look below average is because defenses (and their coordinators) and legitimately good.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 18, 2023, 12:52:23 PM
Probably right but Dru Brown won't have as easy of a time today. I'm sure he'll make a few mistakes and come down to earth a little bit. Calgary is a legit CFL team for one, even if duking it out for that last playoff spot. Brown did his best work scrambling to his right and they know that too. We are going to find out if Brown can operate the offense against a team prepared to play an inexperienced QB that has a bit of film. One of the reasons most of the young QBs in this league look below average is because defenses (and their coordinators) and legitimately good.
Make some good points was just having a little fun with tecno.  We had some fun banter last week.  I agree with how it will be harder for Brown.  We shall see.  I'll have the bird ready for the GDT and I'm willing to take a wing as needed lol.

bwiser

Beating Calgary tonight will send a message to the Stamps that the Bombers are a superior team to them. Calgary has struggled at times this season but I do think they will be in the playoffs when the dust settles.The Bombers need to show all contenders that the road to the Grey Cup goes through Winnipeg.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

pretty much how I feel....cautiously optimistic
Bomber fan for life

TBURGESS

I think we're in for a tough game tonight. Calgary is not Edmonton. Dru is starting & Calgary has film on him. Calgary needs the win to get back into the playoff picture.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

The Stampeders have a superior defense compared to the Elks. This is going to be a stiff test for a pretty inexperienced pivot. The need for a strong gameplan can't be understated here; here's hoping Pierce and the other offensive coaches have done their preparation this week.

I think whichever offense best executes its run game tonight will emerge the winner.

Turnover battle will be crucial as well.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

A win over CGY in their literal barn with our backup QB starting would be a statement about where both teams sit in the west. 

It will be interesting to see if the Maier they thought they had when they moved on from Bo shows up, if he does, it will be a good game.

If he doesn't, I see Houston padding his INT lead... and the Jeff's getting some stats to catch up on Betts

My only concern is blocking Awe, and stopping him from doing damage, especially dirty damage...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.