Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebusRankin

Quote from: theaardvark on August 17, 2023, 04:38:05 PM
Necessity due to numbers... and injuries...

He plays teams. He doesn't take defensive reps on a regular basis or offensive reps for that matter. Show your work and explain where the necessity comes in or you're just talking out of your ***.

As BIBC said, either DL on the PR would be a better use as they'd be coming in and taking snaps on D, giving us an option if one of the starters go down and easing the burden on the starters so they don't burn out.

TBURGESS

I wouldn't take Calgary too lightly. They are the only team to beat Toronto and we're playing them with our backup QB.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Pete

Quote from: RebusRankin on August 17, 2023, 04:08:31 PM
Using a DA spot on Jackson continues to be a waste. It would be better to use another dlineman especially against a team with a strong running game. Parker for Darby would be good as well since Darby has not played well this year and Parker can do returns. McCrae has not done well as a returner.
I truly don't get this either. You would think we'd want to see what we have in Fox and Garbutt prior to looking at nfl cuts which happen Aug 29th. Either that or they haven't shown anything in practice in which case they need to be replaced..
\it is a bit frustrating when we do so little in season to address issues. BC picks up usher, Calgary at least tried for Davis and picked up Markell, Ham and Sask make a trade albeit a minor one. Why we haven't picked up a backup for Grant by now also is annoying/
For nfl cuts i\mping we look to weakside lb, and dt  at least.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on August 17, 2023, 05:35:39 PM
I truly don't get this either. You would think we'd want to see what we have in Fox and Garbutt prior to looking at nfl cuts which happen Aug 29th. Either that or they havent shown anything in practice in which case they need to be replaced..
\it is a bit frustrating when we do so little in season to address issues. BC picks up usher, Calgary at least tried for Davyinis and picked up Markell, ham and sask make a trade albeit a minor one. Why we haven't picked up a backup for Grant by now also is annoying/
For nfl cuts i\mping we look to weakside lb, and dt  at least.

The Bomber process now seems to be for PR players to put in their time learning the CFL game in their first season and if they show enough talent and the right attitude they're invited back next TC to compete or help fill holes that have been vacated.  Ricky Walker is a great example of a player working his way up.

BBRT

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 17, 2023, 05:28:31 PM
I wouldn't take Calgary too lightly. They are the only team to beat Toronto and we're playing them with our backup QB.

I agree 100% - it will be a raining eveing tomorrow night and anything can happen in these conditions. Maybe the rain will hold off but I will take my raincoat along in any case.

DM83

Calgary on offense is playing;an incredibly structured game..
Calgary is due for a win.

Nit sure their receivers are significant.
I think they will try and use the run game, shorten the game,  t doing so, and try and. Keep the Bombers offence off the field.

I think Brown is actually smarter than the usual. Players.  He?s athletic, seems to be able to read defenses.
It would be nice if  the defense shows up at the start of the game

Bombers need to stop the run
Stamps have two receivers that can make significant plays
Bombers have better skilled. Defenders and offence can be unstoppable.

Let?s enjoy!
Good  Luck to Zac and Wolly.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 17, 2023, 05:48:56 PM
The Bomber process now seems to be for PR players to put in their time learning the CFL game in their first season and if they show enough talent and the right attitude they're invited back next TC to compete or help fill holes that have been vacated.  Ricky Walker is a great example of a player working his way up.

IDK about that. Walker played significant games in 2021 and 2022 as a DI. 7 of our players on the PR have played in games this season. Last year we rotated 2 import rookie DL as DI's that moved up off the PR list.  Current players like Holm and Parker jumped to AR from PR in their 1st season.

So I don't agree it's particularly part of any process. In their are injuries, players move up. If they play well they stick etc.

This is true mostly for imports while rookie Canadians do tend to spend more time on the PR. It's a question of math with number of import starters and those on the PR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

I can't agree with the adage a team is due for a win. It just doesn't seem logical.

However, the Stampeders have a stout defense and a capable offense. They're more than capable of stealing a win at home if the Bombers decide to have another slow/bad start like we saw in Edmonton last week.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 17, 2023, 04:41:18 PM
We have 2 DL on our PR. Either could be a better choice.

O'Shea seems to have a man crush on the ex Seal. That's all find and dandy but he needs to contribute more than a couple of ST plays or defensive reps in garbage time.

If the two DL on the PR haven't shown more than Jackson then we should be looking at new players on the PR.

OK, two things wrong here...

1st:

the 2 DL on the PR might not be ready for the AR yet.  Which is better, a swiss army knife on teams that can actually contribute SOMETHING, or a DL that hasn't learned the system well enough to contribute, and might actually cost us through errorsor not understanding the CFL game?

2nd:

Man Crush: IF a coach admires what a player brings to the game, and what he brings to the sidelines, and knows no matter what he needs, that player will say "Yes Sir" and go in and give 112%, if THAT is a "man crush", what's wrong with that.  Yes, every AR spot is important, and yes, if we have game ready DL on the PR, it would be better to have them on the AR than a teams guy.  But it, for your last position on the AR, you can have a guy that works his butt off, and inspires simply by his presence, there are far worse things you can have on the sidelines.

oh, and 3rd:

Its not an either/or situation.  Its not Mr. Seal or DL there are multiple players that could be taken off the AR for a DL, not just Mr. Seal.  
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 17, 2023, 05:48:56 PM

I think certain positions take more PR time than others... Oline the longest, ST the least, DL definitely in the middle.  But there is no doubt some players are more "game ready" as rookies than others. and some never make it off the PR.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

RebusRankin

Quote from: theaardvark on August 17, 2023, 07:06:44 PM

1st:

the 2 DL on the PR might not be ready for the AR yet.  Which is better, a swiss army knife on teams that can actually contribute SOMETHING, or a DL that hasn't learned the system well enough to contribute, and might actually cost us through errorsor not understanding the CFL game?

2nd:

Man Crush: IF a coach admires what a player brings to the game, and what he brings to the sidelines, and knows no matter what he needs, that player will say "Yes Sir" and go in and give 112%, if THAT is a "man crush", what's wrong with that.  Yes, every AR spot is important, and yes, if we have game ready DL on the PR, it would be better to have them on the AR than a teams guy.  But it, for your last position on the AR, you can have a guy that works his butt off, and inspires simply by his presence, there are far worse things you can have on the sidelines.

oh, and 3rd:

Its not an either/or situation.  Its not Mr. Seal or DL there are multiple players that could be taken off the AR for a DL, not just Mr. Seal.  

A swiss army knife that actually contributes something? No defensive tackles. No ST tackles. No big ST or Defensive plays. Not seeing your contribution argument. Oh and before you say blocking, he's not doing much of that on offense (rewatch the games and look for it) and we have Dobson and Eli for that. Who btw are actually filling that role and making a contribution.

If one of the Jeffs go down, do you want Bennett playing every rep or would you rather have another Dlineman to take some of those reps? We know Jackson won't because he hasn't done so thus far. You know who takes reps on D? Every other back up we've dressed (Cole, Exume, Mauro, Hallett, Beeksma, Briggs etc)

bunker

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 17, 2023, 06:16:23 PM
IDK about that. Walker played significant games in 2021 and 2022 as a DI. 7 of our players on the PR have played in games this season. Last year we rotated 2 import rookie DL as DI's that moved up off the PR list.  Current players like Holm and Parker jumped to AR from PR in their 1st season.

So I don't agree it's particularly part of any process. In their are injuries, players move up. If they play well they stick etc.

This is true mostly for imports while rookie Canadians do tend to spend more time on the PR. It's a question of math with number of import starters and those on the PR.
Haba another player that stepped right into to multiple reps at DE without even a full training camp. The general idea of them being slow to introduce new players is correct, but there are exceptions, depending on the player, the position, and the need. In Haba's case, he played a position where he could be brought up to speed more quickly, was very talented, and there was real need.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 17, 2023, 06:16:23 PM

Of course some PR players are also going to see some game action in their first year, but generally after the starter recovers they tend to end up right back on the PR.  Two examples of this process are Holm and ABS, Schoen is an exception as he started in his rookie season.  I think one of the main reasons the Bombers are doing it this way, is because that's how the vets. on the team want the process to work.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 17, 2023, 07:06:44 PM

1st:

2nd:

oh, and 3rd:

There are 3 things wrong with your argument.

1, 2 and 3.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 17, 2023, 05:28:31 PM

Ya, the thin air of the foothills and other mystery factors seem to work against opponents coming into McMahon.  Look at TOR!  CGY always tries to get it up for the home crowd, and Lord knows they need to win at home desperately this season.

However, we've gotten quite good at winning at clown carnival stadium since 2019.  Maybe MOS has them all huffing oxygen tanks in the locker room pregame  :D :D

And we can always count on Dickerson The Greater making 2 stupid in-game decisions...
Never go full Rider!