Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2023/2024 Season

Started by ModAdmin, August 15, 2023, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

I am happy that our first draft pick and our most successful draft pick have the opportunity to finish as Jets. We should continue to be competitive and keep me engaged

That said, I am still pretty bitter from the past few years of underwhelming efforts from this group. We've seen their peak and it's a play-off bubble team. We may miss the play-offs, we may get a first round victory, but it's not a Stanley Cup contender. Only now, we're paying much more for two of our assets, which will mean losses elsewhere as these contracts begin.

So, as someone who would like to see our team complete for the cup, I don't think these deals help us do that in the long or short term. There may be a small window if all our young comes come up and have a lot of success on their entry deals. But then in the later years as Scheif and Helle slow down, we're going to be in a bind.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

The biggest issue with long term contracts is that they are 100% guaranteed, with no performance requirements at all.

There is nothing stopping a player on a 7 year deal from showing up to camp 30lbs overweight and not having skated all summer.  I'm not suggesting that either of these two would, I'm just saying long term guaranteed deals are dangerous.

A player going into a contract year plays his top game.  Its an odd duck who uses the "I've got to earn this contract that is guaranteed" as inspiration to play his top game.  Neither of these players ever need to earn a contract every again.  If, after these deals, they decide they can and want to play, anything there is gravy (see Wheeler).

CH37 has stated his goal is to win a cup.  I'm guessing multiple would be even better.  Keeping these guys motivated is going to be key, and putting the pieces in place around them that gives us a chance to win will be key.  If we drop into rebuild mode in 2 years due to injury, coaching, GM or other issues, that's a lot of money tied up in guys who will be hard to motivate.

Here is hoping these end up looking like incredible steals in 5 years (after winning 2 cups).
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

PloenFan

I was a little surprised we signed them to seven year deals, and not a shorter term, but perhaps they wanted more money per season for a shorter term. Hopefully in a couple of years, the young draft choices can start to contribute, and we can be a legitimate Cup contender !

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

The 2023-24 season begins tonight. Puck drop at 9 on SNW.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 11, 2023, 01:18:27 PM
The 2023-24 season begins tonight. Puck drop at 8 on SNW.

Looking forward to it. Is NE27 in the line-up tonight?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on October 11, 2023, 02:48:48 PM

No idea. Twitter is such a dumpster fire now and I can't find anything re: lines or pairings. The pre-game skate isn't for a bit yet, so hopefully some information will be made available this afternoon.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 11, 2023, 03:48:43 PM
No idea. Twitter is such a dumpster fire now and I can't find anything re: lines or pairings. The pre-game skate isn't for a bit yet, so hopefully some information will be made available this afternoon.

We needed NE27 to be healthy and productive this season. One of the O leaders.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on October 11, 2023, 02:48:48 PM

He's been listed as part of the lines the last couple of practices, so I think he's good to go.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on October 11, 2023, 04:04:13 PM
We needed NE27 to be healthy and productive this season. One of the O leaders.

That second line with Ehlers and Perfetti will make or break the season. Can't take the next step if those two miss half the year again.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on October 11, 2023, 04:52:56 PM
That second line with Ehlers and Perfetti will make or break the season. Can't take the next step if those two miss half the year again.

Agreed. This team cannot afford to have those two miss time if they want to compete for a playoff spot.

I'm still not sold on Perfetti at 2C but maybe he'll surprise us.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Jockitch

On paper they look solid and competitive.  Agree that Perfetti needs a full, productive season and Ehlers must stay healthy
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

https://illegalcurve.com/game-1-winnipeg-jets-vs-calgary-flames-pre-game-report/

Looks like Ehlers is good to go based on the lines/pairings as of yesterday:

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Ehlers-Perfetti-Niederreiter
Iafallo-Lowry-Appleton
Barron-Kupari-Namestnikov

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Dillon-Schmidt

Hellebuyck
Brossoit
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pigskin

blue_gold_84

I didn't watch this one (no SN at home) but the scoring sheet would indicate a bad defensive effort and netminding. Allowing a SHG is inexcusable.

Blegh.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず